View Poll Results: Do you get motion sickness from playing games?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck no, I'm not a wimp. ^_^!!

51 68.00%
  • Yes, I do, please pass me the puke bucket. ;.;

24 32.00%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hands up - Who here gets motion sickness from playing games?

Insert Coin (Level 0) fairyland's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Hands up - Who here gets motion sickness from playing games?

I was reading though a thread about the Virtua Boy and this one person mentioned that he gets motion sickness from it. That had made me wonder...just how many people out there gets motion sickness from playing games? Also, does that make you that much more of a "classic gamer"? (assuming that classic games never makes you sick)

Now, please endulge me while I prattle on. Sadly, I'm one of those foolish people who takes his life into his own hands whenever I try a "3d-ish" game out. I know that I should not, but the temptation is oh so great at times. I almost always suffer from my folly of trying to play a 3D game. I have tried and gotten terribly sick on such classics as Doom, Tomb Raider, Kingdom Hearts, Metroid whatever for the GC, and on and on.

It's odd, where sometimes I can go for an hour without getting sick, and other times it's not more than 15 minutes. More odd is how I cannot play Katamari now for longer than 30 minutes, but when it was new I had not once got sick on it and could play for hours on end.

I've not really found out why this happens. I've tried motion sickness pills, sitting some 30 feet away from the TV, eating, drinking, making sure I'm well rested...it seems that it's a matter of luck if I'll be able to play a game and for how long.

It seems heritary though, as my brother has the same trouble as well. Perhaps some people out there has suggestions for me to try? It's really sad as I can get so easily sick with merely 15 minutes of play but the effects will linger for nearly 16 hours. I'll get nightmares where everything spins, lightheadedness, nausia (sp?), unable to keep my balance (walking like a lightly drunk person), etc. Sometimes I wonder what would happen to me if I push myself and try to game right though the sickness. I never had though as I assumed I would pass out or perhaps have a seizure...I usually stop as soon as I feel the light headedness setting in.

So my little condition has pretty much made me a "classic gamer." Actually I don't consider myself a classic gamer, but time has progressed the games to where I cannot play most of the newest releases. I cherish my old games from the 2600 to the SNES era, yes, but I thank the gaming gods for the DS and their new games (most of which I've been waiting since the Super Nintendo days for and I personally consider those games as what should have been the progression in gaming rather than force fed 3D gaming with the N64 and PS1).

Yet, what frightens me is that I consider the DS the last time that I'll ever get to enjoy new quality 2D-ish games. In another 10 years, I'll probably not be able to play any handheld as they'll all be 3D powerhouses playing games simular to what is currently popular now on the home systems.

Call me in a rut, but I know in 10 years I'll still want new 2D sequels of Zelda, Mega Man, Castlevania, Mario, and Metroid no matter how much of a rehash they are, but I really wonder if I'll get it. If I don't, then I'll probably be stuck as a "classic gamer" playing the old 2d games that won't put me in an ambulance even though I have a strong desire to play the newest games that the rest of the world enjoys.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do from most first person shooters. F zero for Gamecube did as well. Playing handheld games or even reading in a moving veichle gives me motion sickness.

Pac-Man (Level 10) atomicthumbs's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is only one game that has ever (and consistently) made me light-headed/queasy/seconds away from barfing... Star Wars - Jedi Outcast for the Xbox. Odd...

Though not anywhere near as odd as how I ALWAYS feel nauseous if I watch Firewalker staring Chuck Norris. I'm dead serious! I can't watch that damn movie without wanting to honestly vomit!

"Gamera is really neat --- He is filled with turtle meat --- We all love you Ga-me-ra!"
    - MST3K

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nope. No motion sickness here although the wifey tends to get a little pukey when watching me play Ace Combat games...so she rarely does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The only 2 games that gave me headaches were:

Descent (ugh)

and

Chex Doom clone demo (something about the choppy scrolling IIRC...)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did when playing the single player mode in Timesplitters 2.

The worst was the Hotel in Mario Sunshine, I didn't have a problem with the rest of the game. There was also some place in Metroid Prime, I think it was the place where you get the X-Ray vision and one of the artifacts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never play 'Forsaken' (N64, PC) if youre a motion Sckness sufferer then!
    Im not but, ive seen my Dad run out the room while watching me play it!

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope, luckily i have never experienced it hehe. I've gotten sick of gaming tho, but thats because i played too much so i got tired and got a stiff neck.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I get sick from played fast paced FPS for a long period of time. I start to get head aches and stomach craps.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Pukefest...I mean Perfect Dark. Four player split screen on a projection TV..ugh.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rez or Frequency makes my flatmates abandon the living room as they can't watch it at all without feeling funny.
    <center>

Basking in the summer sun.
    I greeted the seaguls...

But then...
    I entered the demons den.
    -Ship Archives</center>

I like Fezzes. Fezzes are cool. ubikuberalles's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope. I have no memory of ever experiencing motion sickness. Playing videos while riding in a car or bus is something I've done often and I never experienced and adverse effecs.

(Pronounced: OO-bik-OO-ber-ALL-ess)
    Reality is false and decaying. Ubik restores form and substance.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Heck no..

The Virtual Boy doesn't get me sick..

But: The Xbox 360 Game PREY,with it's flip this way that way screens to get somewhere gives me a headache:please pass me the puke bucket

It's the only game that I really can't/won't play..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only get head achs if I play a game for many many hours on end (Like over 10hrs). For the most part though, very rarely. Descent was just plain fun!
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My wife consistently gets sick from any 3D game. Any first person shooter or even Mario 64.

The only exception seems to be Goldeneye for n64 - she consistently kicks my ass at that one!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

I've never experienced motion sickness from playing a game, and I've played enough 3D titles to figure it would have happened by now if ever.

I'm pretty sure there's a genetic basis for this. I just didn't get the particular gene sequence that makes some people sick that way. A better way to look at it is that I'm the one who got the necessary sequence and am therefore a genetically superior being.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Videogamerdaryll
    But: The Xbox 360 Game PREY,with it's flip this way that way screens to get somewhere gives me a headache:please pass me the puke bucket

It's the only game that I really can't/won't play..
    Games don't make me sick either, but PREY is one that bothered me by giving me slight headaches after and hour or so of gaming.

I don't think it was due to the spinning, but more eye strain as it's a dark game, and I had to play in an almost completely dark room to actually see anything on screen, and even then it was tough.

I could however play it on an overcast day with no problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I get headaches and motion sickness from almost any 1st person game. There are only a very few that don't make me sick within a few minutes. I had to quit playing N64 Rogue Squadron when it got to the 1st person missions. Even a lot of 3D platformers give me headaches after a while. I can feel them coming on and if I don't stop RIGHT THEN then I will have a headache for an hour or two.

Ghost Recons 1 and 2 didn't seem to be too bad, but the new one pains me. Same with Tony Hawk; the ones on PSX weren't too bad, but the newer ones give me headaches. I haven't tried any motion sickness pills or anything.

So yeah, maybe it does make me stick to 2D platform games. I find those more fun, anyhow.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can play whatever and not get sick, even V-Boy. If i'm really tired and falling asleep or if I play an extremely fast paced game such as tetris then my mind can lose focus and not be able to focus on the game, I don't get sick, my mind just says no more take a break.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never gotten motion sickness from a game before. I did come close once when I saw a demo kiosk for the PS1, I believe the game was an Ace Combat demo. Other than that never been close.