Thread: Saturn spine card?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Saturn spine card?

Does it look like this game has the spine card?

It looks like new sealed condition but the seller doesn't talk about a spine card. Not sure if they even know what one is. I have yet to purchase a Saturn import so I'm oblivious.

Oh, and if anyone here on the boards mods Saturns (I know InsaneDave does) and does good work with the switch install, ect. Please PM me what you charge. I might have given up on wanting to modify my Saturn after looking at the board because I don't have the tools to play around with small ass stuff like that, also I would leave a terrible switch looking mod to it. Also if you have any pictures of jobs you've done feel free to share. Thanks!
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.satakore.com/index.php?serial_serv=ZZT-6603G

you don't have a spine card unless its a reseal and the seller just stuck it in the case.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Saturn spine card?

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor
    Does it look like this game has the spine card?

It looks like new sealed condition but the seller doesn't talk about a spine card.
    That picture looks like it is just the instruction manual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do I need to worry if it has a spine card or not? I always though they were used for authenticity, or something along those lines. I just don't know their specific reason otherwise though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As Nomeaz1 said, that looks like just the manual. There doesn't even appear to be a jewel case in that photo. The gold Sega Saturn strip was usually on the left side of the manual, not the jewel case.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My guess would be that its a pirate
    ~TisLord~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From the auction:
    Quote Originally Posted by Puyo Puyo Sun Auction
    This auction is for Puyo Puyo Sun for the Japanese Sega Saturn.

The item consists of only the game CD and the manual.

This is a Japanese game and will require a Sega Saturn capable of playing games from this region.
    So I know it's the CD and manual, but was mainly currious about the spin card, but all good information. I remember some people discussing how Deamcast and Saturn use different standard jewel cases than CD-ROMs. Is that correct or should I just not do it due to it being a struggle to be sure everything is there and it'll be too time consuming to find a good case?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Honestly I don't know. Note the bottom right corner, obviously there's something slipped over the jewel case. Puyo Puyo Sun came with a sticker sheet.

Here and here. Is it at all possible that there was a paper insert put over the case to denote this? Who knows with some of these games. I'd ask for a picture of the back of the case and then compare it with the one on that first link up there to see if it matches up to being authentic.

Yes, I do Saturn US/JPN switch mods. I have a barebones Model 2 sitting around right now that already has the switch installed (it's on the expansion door on the back) however the system has a crack on the front of it in the upper shell. I can sell you this one (cheaper shipping since it's only going one way) and you can use it as it is or change out the top shell with the top shell of yours (wouldn't get in the way of the mod at all - nothing is routed up there, you're just swapping upper shells). Or, of course, you can send me a Model 2 Saturn and decide where you want the switch to be placed - there are a few locations I wouldn't mind putting it. I'll get some pictures up in a moment.

As for price, make offers, but do understand that it's going to cost at least $10 each way to mail a Saturn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Posted while I was posting.

I remember some people discussing how Deamcast and Saturn use different standard jewel cases than CD-ROMs. Is that correct or should I just not do it due to it being a struggle to be sure everything is there and it'll be too time consuming to find a good case?
    The US Saturn games use the huge jewel cases like US Sega CD games as well as the first longbox versions of PlayStation games. Some Japanese Saturn games use a slightly thicker jewel case. The games I have that use this are Daytona USA Circuit Edition and Sankyo Fever-S Jikki Simulation. The spine cards (obi) are bigger on the edge as well. This isn't a problem except my Sankyo Fever-S Jikki Simulation front case has a crack in it - and a normal jewel case front won't fit, it's too small because of the added girth of the case. Additionally the rear insert is longer on the edges so it can't be transfered into a standard jewel case.

Some Japanese Saturn games I have seem to have a different colored disc tray, instead of the usual black it's more of a smoke color. This is hit and miss so either it varies between manufacturers (wouldn't surprise me) or they were swapped out to normal jewel cases by their previous owners (would surprise me even less).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Sent a PM about Saturn mods.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You know, It looks like its a knock off. Ive recently picked up 26 saturn discs, half are pirates. The pirates have no case, just the cover and disc in a flat plastic bag, unfortunately this one looks just like one of them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ewwwww, okay. Thanks for the heads up. I'm a bit upset because I eyeball Saturn stuff online often trying to find the best buys possible on certain imports. The price looked too good to be true and is comming from GB someplace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whatever it is, it's absolutely not new/sealed. Spinecard has nothing to do with authenticity -- I've got some Neo Geo CD pirates that come with them. On most games the UPS is on the spine card, though, and not on the actual case.

I would think it could be legit, but with a busted case and the spine is just inserted in the manual. Many stores in Japan have much much lower prices on loose games, which is why it could be so cheap.

It's strange, I run into all sorts of other pirate games, but I have never run into a Saturn pirate (I know they exist, just don't seem so common).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

haven't seem Saturn pirates too, but why not?

Still, as like every CD in a Jewel Case comes with a Spine Card in Japan they are not hard to make. Even Doujin CDs with a Production run below 100 always have them. Thats really no problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So when I buy a JPN Saturn title I shouldn't worry about a spine card not being present? I'm only planning on getting a few games from the far east so I'd prefer to have the most authentic and complete games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So when I buy a JPN Saturn title I shouldn't worry about a spine card not being present? I'm only planning on getting a few games from the far east so I'd prefer to have the most authentic and complete games.
    Buying a game without a spine card is a great way to save a little $$$$. It usually drops the price a bit. When I bought my Mars Matrix a few months ago the shop had one with and one without a spine card -- the one with was 4000 yen, the one without was 2400. Guess which one I bought

Of course, if you are picky then a game's not really "complete" without one. I feel having everything in great shape except for a missing spine card is "complete enough".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I feel kind of stupid asking this question - but what is a spine card?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r
    I feel kind of stupid asking this question - but what is a spine card?
    The spine card, or obi, is a piece of paper that goes over the end of that part of the case you're speaking of. It's not limited to just Saturn games, almost EVERYTHING from Japan that comes in a jewel case has a spine card. Books often have them as well. It's an easier way to get information about the product that exists for the same reason why Sony would use those white stickers. Sometimes they have special art on them or sometimes they mirror what is underneath them.

A lot of collectors think a game MUST have the spine card for it to be considered "complete", but I think they're pretty looney. They're nice to have and I always save them (and I will slightly factor them into what a reasonable price for an item is since they WILL affect resale value.)

I took all that from some other thread. Thanks, Aussie.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's some examples... A Saturn card, a DC card, and a Saturn game with card next to it. It fits over the left-hand side of the CD case. I just stick mine in the CD case in the book so they don't get lost.

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~