Thread: Saw an Atari 5200 Arcade Trackball

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Saw an Atari 5200 Arcade Trackball

Ya, yesterday I saw the big arcade trackball controller with all the buttons and in great shape yesterday, but the price tag was $40. It had just hit their sales floor that day so I was stoked to see it but they wouldn't let me haggle any lower than $40 taxed free. It is garbage to see it so overpriced in my opinion because it's not complete with a box or anything, just the unit. But anyhow, they did say they'll bring it down to $35 sometime next week and keep dropping it slowly until it's bought. I'm really hoping no one goes in there and ganks it for the high price I'm not willing to afford because I'm sure they bought it from a fool for $1 or less, knowing how they work. I guess I just don't want them ripping me off so bad because they bought it so dirt cheap.

So, what I need to ask is what is the lowest I should think of purchasing it at? I told them I'd easily pay $15-20 on the spot and they declined. And others that have the trackball how much did you pay for it, in the past or recently, complete or unit only? Lastely, how much better does it improve gameplay on titles such as Millipede and Missile Command, or even what games can use it?
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Saw an Atari 5200 Arcade Trackball

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor
    they wouldn't let me haggle any lower than $40 taxed free. It is garbage to see it so overpriced in my opinion because it's not complete with a box or anything, just the unit. But anyhow, they did say they'll bring it down to $35 sometime next week and keep dropping it slowly until it's bought.
    $40 is a bit much, but if they can get $40 for it, what's the big deal?

I'm really hoping no one goes in there and ganks it for the high price I'm not willing to afford because I'm sure they bought it from a fool for $1 or less, knowing how they work. I guess I just don't want them ripping me off so bad because they bought it so dirt cheap.
    Time to let those thoughts go. If it's worth $40 to someone, else, then it's gone. Not that I would spend $40 on it, even if I didn't already have one. It's all about how much you want it, and how soon.

So, what I need to ask is what is the lowest I should think of purchasing it at? I told them I'd easily pay $15-20 on the spot and they declined.
    $20 is reasonable.

Lastely, how much better does it improve gameplay on titles such as Millipede and Missile Command, or even what games can use it?
    It's infiinitely better for any trakball game (Centipede, Missile Command, etc.)
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Kid Ice said it all. I just got my 1st one a few weeks back and paid only $10, but that was because I had bought some other stuff with it. I would have paid $25 easily for a loose one.

It's a great accessory and imo a must for serious 5200 collectors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ahh, sweet. Do you know what other games it will worth with, or better yet what it actually works the better with. From others accounts the controller really blows for most games so does the trackball pick up where the controller fails?

And I know I was a bit out there lashing about their price, but it's usually the things that say "Atari" that throws dollar signs in people's eyes around here. The same place has an Atari2600 with 5 very common games and 2 standard controllers for $80 with all connectors. It just aggravates me how they price things so high. The lady that prices things behind the counter told me the trackball was so expensive because it's a game consule and plays games.... They just don't know what they have and refuse to accept what I correct them with what it is and can't be bargined with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

talking about high prices..I was at a little store with a old man, I always get a game cheap from him..I saw a Atari 2600 with ames & the Telegames Holder, I said how much for the 2600 he said $50, and he wouldn't sell me the Manuals..Well he said $15 for some commen Manuals

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And I know I was a bit out there lashing about their price, but it's usually the things that say "Atari" that throws dollar signs in people's eyes around here.
    Then just buy Atari stuff from eBay, the market is super-saturated and you can get lots of Atari stuff dirt cheap right now.

The same place has an Atari2600 with 5 very common games and 2 standard controllers for $80 with all connectors. It just aggravates me how they price things so high.
    Why? It'll be sitting in the same place years from now (if they don't go bankrupt in the meantime) doing them no good. In the meantime, you can easily score a complete working console with like 10 common games for $20 on eBay or elsewhere. Let her keep her $80 console.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Ahh, sweet. Do you know what other games it will worth with, or better yet what it actually works the better with. From others accounts the controller really blows for most games so does the trackball pick up where the controller fails?
    From the 5200 Supersystem FAQ:

* -- Plays best when used with the trak-ball
    # -- Some gamers prefer to play it with the trak-ball, others don't.
    X -- Works with the trak-ball but is not recommended.

* Centipede
    # Football/RealSports Football
    X Galaxian
    # Kaboom!
    X K-Razy Shootout
    * Millipede
    * Missile Command
    X Pole Position
    X RealSports Baseball
    # Soccer/RealSports Soccer
    X Space Invaders
    # Super Breakout

And I know I was a bit out there lashing about their price, but it's usually the things that say "Atari" that throws dollar signs in people's eyes around here. The same place has an Atari2600 with 5 very common games and 2 standard controllers for $80 with all connectors.
    I tell myself that pricing like this is meant to appeal to someone like Stan the Soccer Pop; a thirty-something man who doesn't spend a lot of time on Ebay or anything. One day he brings in kids into the store to get them a copy of Extreme Arena Hentai Jai-Alai for the 360 and he sees the overpriced 2600 behind the counter, perhaps the first one he's seen in fifteen years. Induced into a fit of nostalgia, he buys it, perhaps also believing by doing so he has invested in some sort of rare antiquity as well.

That obviously doesn't fly with you and me, but it does with Stan. And I'll bet that system sells for that price. I've seen it happen in my own neck of the woods.

The lady that prices things behind the counter told me the trackball was so expensive because it's a game consule and plays games.... They just don't know what they have and refuse to accept what I correct them with what it is and can't be bargined with.
    The 5200 trackball is almost as big as the 5200 itself, and it has keypads on it so I can sort of how understand how people can make this mistake.

Perhaps you can turn this to your advantage. If she thinks it's a console, ask her where the power and RF cables are supposed to go. "Oh, you don't have the power and RF cables with it?" Time to start bargaining down....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon
    The lady that prices things behind the counter told me the trackball was so expensive because it's a game consule and plays games.... They just don't know what they have and refuse to accept what I correct them with what it is and can't be bargined with.
    The 5200 trackball is almost as big as the 5200 itself, and it has keypads on it so I can sort of how understand how people can make this mistake.

Perhaps you can turn this to your advantage. If she thinks it's a console, ask her where the power and RF cables are supposed to go. "Oh, you don't have the power and RF cables with it?" Time to start bargaining down....
    Didn't think of that. Thanks for the list too, I have a few of those * games so it should be nice.

About the high Atari prices, it's the same place I got Crazy Climber 2600 for $1. They will sell games on older systems for dirt cheap most of the time, like Genny/SNES for $1 each, maybe buy 1 get 1 free on NES, ect. It's just when they get game systems in they just want to blow the price out of proportion for when 35yr old Joe comes in and stumbles across it from his teenage years, or even childhood. Trust me, I got my 2600 online with 30 games awhile back for $35 after shipping so I know to stay away from most of the local market here when going for systems, like Atari.