0 Posts

Default apple pippin

anybody have one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Pippin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i've never even heard of it And what a weird controller, is that a trackball in the middle?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

I have this console. It is commonly refered to as the Bandai Pippin@world. The technology was designed by Apple and licensed to Bandai similar to what Trip Hawkins did with 3DO.

The controller is really small and yes it has a roller ball in the middle and 2 buttons in the rear as it was inteneded to be used like a mouse. There are also 3 small buttons on the bottom of the controller.

It also included a keyboard with a screen and pen and even had a 28.8 motorolla modem.

I think only 16 software titles were released in the US though I can't find nor confirm this. The only software I have is the pack in wares.

(I'll try to get some pics up this weekend if anyone is interested)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got one too. Finding the system is easy, getting software for it (especially games worth playing) is very difficult.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The systems are quite tough to find, they will turn up though more often usually missing accessories, deeming them useless. A console with a controller, keyboard and all of the hookups can easily go close to $300 in price.

It is definately a game system, it was designed by Apple and marketed by Bandai. Apple only let Bandai market it as a low end PC though, which is why it sold so poorly. Aside from common myths of being underpowered compared to the competition it is actually twice as powerful in everyway than the PSX and Saturn. PSX has a 33.33Mhz processor, Pippin has 66Mhz, PSX has a 2 speed CD Rom, Pippin has a 4 Speed and more than twice the FMV quality that the PSX has. It is vastly powerful but horridly underused, so poorly that only one game in the states supports 2 players.

It is worth buying one as there are over 200 games released in Japan for the console. There is a section in the database here as well, check it out as I wrote it myself, hence why I know as much about the console as I just shared.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have 2 of these, Both the White version, and the @World Black version. I also have the tablet with the pen for it as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have 2 of these, Both the White version, and the @World Black version. I also have the tablet with the pen for it as well.

They are really heavy for their size by the way.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Japanese Pippins can be had for $70 or $80 on YAJ easily, especially if you don't insist on getting a boxed one. I'm not sure if you can play US titles on a Japanese system or not, but there's only a handful of good Japanese games that are playable if you don't speak the language.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy
    It is definitely a game system, it was designed by Apple and marketed by Bandai. Apple only let Bandai market it as a low end PC though, which is why it sold so poorly. Aside from common myths of being underpowered compared to the competition it is actually twice as powerful in everyway than the PSX and Saturn. PSX has a 33.33Mhz processor, Pippin has 66Mhz, PSX has a 2 speed CD Rom, Pippin has a 4 Speed and more than twice the FMV quality that the PSX has. It is vastly powerful but horridly underused, so poorly that only one game in the states supports 2 players.

It is worth buying one as there are over 200 games released in Japan for the console. There is a section in the database here as well, check it out as I wrote it myself, hence why I know as much about the console as I just shared.
    You sure about that? Its specs suggest a low-end Mac from the early 90's, not a dedicated games player.

It does indeed have a faster CPU than the PSone, but processor speed is no longer a good indicator of performance. Where are the custom graphics chips? The PSone has a dedicated math co-processor that allows it throw around texture-mapped polygons with great speed and ease, plus its main CPU is a custom chip and was designed strictly for graphics and gameplay, not general computing. The PowerPC 603e processor in the Pippin is a general-purpose processor. The Saturn has TWO (general-purpose) CPU's plus TWO dedicated graphics processors. A faster CD drive is certainly welcome but it doesn't affect the ability of the Pippin to manipulate graphics.

I must admit I've never played (or even seen) a Pippin and I'm basing my comments of information I found on the internet (there a fair amount of information out there.) You seem to be an expert... what games demonstrate the true capabilities of the Pippin?
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy
    It is definitely a game system, it was designed by Apple and marketed by Bandai. Apple only let Bandai market it as a low end PC though, which is why it sold so poorly. Aside from common myths of being underpowered compared to the competition it is actually twice as powerful in everyway than the PSX and Saturn. PSX has a 33.33Mhz processor, Pippin has 66Mhz, PSX has a 2 speed CD Rom, Pippin has a 4 Speed and more than twice the FMV quality that the PSX has. It is vastly powerful but horridly underused, so poorly that only one game in the states supports 2 players.

You sure about that? Its specs suggest a low-end Mac from the early 90's, not a dedicated games player.

It does indeed have a faster CPU than the PSone, but processor speed is no longer a good indicator of performance. Where are the custom graphics chips? The PSone has a dedicated math co-processor that allows it throw around texture-mapped polygons with great speed and ease, plus its main CPU is a custom chip and was designed strictly for graphics and gameplay, not general computing. The PowerPC 603e processor in the Pippin is a general-purpose processor. The Saturn has TWO (general-purpose) CPU's plus TWO dedicated graphics processors. A faster CD drive is certainly welcome but it doesn't affect the ability of the Pippin to manipulate graphics.

I must admit I've never played (or even seen) a Pippin and I'm basing my comments of information I found on the internet (there a fair amount of information out there.) You seem to be an expert... what games demonstrate the true capabilities of the Pippin?
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whoops... sorry about the double post. I got a huge error message when I hit the "submit" tab but it still posted.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Marathon made the best use of it. I haven't played any Japanese games. I have spoke to others on other sites and they said that if done right it can outperform the PSX graphically.

As far as it being a game system, it's based around the Mac OS but I look at it like the VIS or the CD-i both are game consoles that the developers tried to do everything with. I'd love to own one someday but I will have to wait.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link