Thread: To be or not to be limited edition...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default To be or not to be limited edition...

A few days ago I was browsing another forum and found a very interesting post about limited edition homebrew games. My good friend Andrew Davie was making a new 2600 game but was going to release just 10 copies of it!
    Interestingly, nobody complained about and the thread got more than 200 replies asking for a copy.
    I have asked about limited editions before, and I have always had the impression few people like it, but now I am not sure anymore.
    So, what do you guys think about limited editions?

Eduardo Mello
    Eduardo Mello
    [url]www.opcodegames.com[/url]
    Opcode Games - Bringing new life to your ColecoVision
    Currently working on Arkanoid, Donkey Kong Arcade, Knightmare, Goonies and many others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Well...

I have mixed feelings on this. I do believe everyone should be able to have access to a good game to play if they want to, there is still something very cool about owning a "limited edition" of something. Something only a select few have their hands on. I have a few things like this, and it feels good And getting something that is limited edition either by just being there at the right moment (the second it hits store shelves) or just searching for years and one day finding it is just a great experience. Thrill of the hunt. I guess this is why I am all for rom backups of limited edition and prototype carts. The rom allows everyone who just basically wants to play the game, and the cart itself is reserved for the collector to keep amongst his other treasures!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

as for commercial games, i like limited editions. But the should always be a normal edition so everyone can buy it if they want...

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've seen this thread before, and I didn't comment on it. I just think it's stupid, why put all that work into a game so 10 people can play it? ESPECIALLY when you KNOW that 9 of them will probly turn it on one time.

I'd MUCH rather see people charge a lot more, and make a lot more. OR Give the .rom to someone else who makes carts. The only reason to make 10 carts is usually to charge $200 per cart. (Which they usually don't do, so I'm still confused.)
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

*adjusts monocle*

I do believe Sir Dancing Baby On A Cart proposed a limited run of 10 special edition carts while making a more general, public release of the Fu Kung game available to everyone!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have to agree with Silentwulf here.

Homebrews should be all about fun - someone who takes pride in their creativity, and integrates it with the hobby/industry that they love.

Of course there are costs they need to recoup, and perhaps even make a little extra. But intentionally producing an extremely low production run (like 10 copies) just pisses me off.

Truth is, I probably wouldn't play it anyway, but as a collector - it totally creases me. A release of 10 copies would make it rarer than Video Life, but there's no way I would pay $2000 for a homebrew.

Anyway...
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst
    *adjusts monocle*

I do believe Sir Dancing Baby On A Cart proposed a limited run of 10 special edition carts while making a more general, public release of the Fu Kung game available to everyone!
    That is what I hear from Atariage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recall seeing the thread you mentioned, and as I recall the thread got a huge amount of responses, many (most) proclaiming loudly (as loudly as possible given the medium, anyway) their opposition to the idea. In other words, I remember most of the people hated the idea of only producing 10 copies.

As for me, I can see both sides of the idea, but I still think it would be better over all if Andrew produced more copies - maybe 50 or 100. Then there would still be a somewhat realistic shot for people to get the game, yet a certain amount of 'eliteness' or exclusivity would be maintained.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh no... I complained. Believe me, I complained. In fact, I brought it up on this message board after hearing about it on Atari Age.
    Limited editions are fine for the collectors as long as the rest of us have an opportunity to play the game as well. However, when you produce as little as ten copies of a game, then offer players no other way to experience it, that really gets under my skin. It's meanspirited and elitist.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow! I see this topic is capable of generating a lot of angry responses...

Before someone asks me, I am not meaning I'm planning to release a limited edition game. In fact, if everything goes right, SIC will be available for so long as there is demand for it...
    Also, I am not questioning Andrew decision, as I understand that he was planning...

It was just curiosity...

Eduardo
    Eduardo Mello
    [url]www.opcodegames.com[/url]
    Opcode Games - Bringing new life to your ColecoVision
    Currently working on Arkanoid, Donkey Kong Arcade, Knightmare, Goonies and many others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by opcode
    Wow! I see this topic is capable of generating a lot of angry responses...

Before someone asks me, I am not meaning I'm planning to release a limited edition game. In fact, if everything goes right, SIC will be available for so long as there is demand for it...
    Also, I am not questioning Andrew decision, as I understand that he was planning...

It was just curiosity...

Eduardo
    I'm glad to hear you say this man. I am sure everyone who is a Colecovision enthusiast is going to want one