Thread: TurboDuo Picture Request (CD Spindle)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Default TurboDuo Picture Request (CD Spindle)

CD audio seems to be skipping on my TurboDuo or dropping out randomly and then not coming back until a track change. (I am NOT running backups) Basically it's like someone is bumping the 'Duo, causing the CD audio to screw up. I've tried the usual cleaning to no avail. The more I think about it the more I think there may be something up with the CD spindle. Since I bought my 'Duo years ago it's never looked quite right to me and I've always had problems with CD audio skipping.

So can someone please take a picture of their TurboDuo CD drive? I don't need anything super technical, just open the CD door and take a picture down in the disc well of the disc spindle. (that's what the disc sits on if you're not technically minded)

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Come on, someone has to have a 'Duo and a digital camera.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your problem is very likely with your audio op amp circuit. It's very common.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    Your problem is very likely with your audio op amp circuit. It's very common.
    I don't think so and I have good reason for that. I put a piece of tape atop the hole in the center of a CD game that was having audio dropout (Lords of Thunder). The tape basically holds the disc to the spindle. Started up, played the game for two hours, not a single problem. Tried it again with Gate of Thunder, taped it down, no problems. Ys I & II, Cosmic Fantasy II, Final Zone II - same thing, no more problems. Think it's a mechanical problem and not an electronics problem.

This leads me to assume that the disc is slipping from the spindle, as in the disc isn't spinning at the speed the spindle is. The spindle in my TurboDuo is bare metal, there's nothing for the disc hub to "grip" onto, which is why I think I have the problem. I want to see what a TurboDuo spindle looks like to see if I'm missing an O ring of a non-slip material or something that's supposed to be atop the spindle. Either way I'll probably end up cutting some grippy material (thin rubber sheet or something) and covering the edge of the spindle with it. Here's a picture of mine...

Call me crazy but that just doesn't look right. Is that outer ring supposed to be coated with some kind of soft non-slip material? Mine is just bare metal there. I'd like to see a picture of a spindle in a TurboDuo that is working properly to confirm / deny this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you examine the tray lid, you'll see that you can actually remove the upper CD holder/keeper/whatever you want to call it. That upper piece magnetically grabs the spindle & holds the CD to it firmly. At least, it's supposed to.

I can't confirm at the moment if there's rubber pad on the hub, but you may have an issue with the upper CD keeper-whatchamacallit not holding the CD tightly to the hub for some reason. I wouldn't think you'd need tape to securely hold the CD in place... so there certainly may be a mechanical reason that CDs are skipping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Didn't even think of that. I'll take that top part out and look it over after the weekend. (going to be away for a few days) I'd still like to see what a spindle in a system without this problem looks like. I can hear the disc slipping inside the system and the plastic on bare metal thing (even with the magnetic clamping of the top part) still doesn't sit right with me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Forgot to add - thanks for mentioning that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No Duo's have any grip material. They don't spin fast enough to need it.

Your transport cap could have weak magnetism, or be misalinbed I suppose. Never seen that in a Duo, but have seen it in a SEGACD2.

Good Luck!
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No Duo's have any grip material. They don't spin fast enough to need it.

Your transport cap could have weak magnetism, or be misalinbed I suppose. Never seen that in a Duo, but have seen it in a SEGACD2.

Good Luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Damn, alright, thanks for all the help and information! Looks like it's time to do a little R&D on my Duo tomorrow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I disassembled the magnetic cap and tested to make sure it was still clamping down onto the spindle - no problem there. So I took a drop of oil on a cotton swab and lubricated all the contact surfaces inside. After a few runs it seems to have fixed the problem. Guess it was getting hung up and screwing with the disc rotation. Thanks again.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    I disassembled the magnetic cap and tested to make sure it was still clamping down onto the spindle - no problem there. So I took a drop of oil on a cotton swab and lubricated all the contact surfaces inside. After a few runs it seems to have fixed the problem. Guess it was getting hung up and screwing with the disc rotation. Thanks again.

Eeeeeehhh? Could this be one possible solution to the infamous Duo sound curse? I'll have to tinker with my CD spinldle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ
    Eeeeeehhh? Could this be one possible solution to the infamous Duo sound curse? I'll have to tinker with my CD spinldle.
    I doubt it, there is still a possible overheating problem (not my problem but a possible problem in general) with the location of the audio circuitry. However I find it hard to believe it's as frequent a problem as some people like to run around shouting about. But if you are losing CD audio or are having load lag and/or hearing a slipping sound from the CD drive I'd check this out. There's not a whole lot of clearance for it to float smoothly once magnetically attached to the spindle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OSG routinely repairs the audio circuit failures in Duo's. The failure is no longer an unknown problem. It's failures in varying caps in the pre and post op amp audio circuit.

This may be some sort of transport or wobble problem.