Thread: Q about the Wico Command Control

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Q about the Wico Command Control

Since I still have no joystick for the Vic 20 I got in trade awhile back, I went to a Funco to find something that might work. I remembered using a SMS joystick with my c64 back in the day, so I went to Funcoland and bought the only other type of 9-pin joypad. A Sega Genesis controller by "High Frequency". It has the ABCXYZ buttons, are configurable to auto,turbo, and normal as well as a slow motion switch. I dont know if it is all the funky switches, or the brand, or what, but it doesn't work on the Vic. Maybe no other Genesis brand joysticks work either? Either way, I won a Wico Command Control atari 2600 joystick in the box on ebay (the baseball bat handle type) for $5. I haven't received it as of yet, but was wondering how you guys and gals rate it? Is it as sturdy as I hear? How does the control itself rate? See, I remember seeing these in the stores back in the day, but I never actually owned one. I really hope I don't run into any problems as I am dying to play the majority of my now 50 vic cart collection that requires (or playably requires) a joystick!

BTW: the High Frequency controller I bought is surprisingly up for trade now. PM me if you want it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since I'm the person who sold Zektor the Wico joystick in question, I can say that he's getting QUALITY merchandise. :)

Seriously, the Wico "bat" joystick is a good one. Wico made (makes?) high-quality arcade parts back in the day, so they knew what they were doing. I don't know if the Command Control stick uses real arcade parts or not, but it seems sturdier than most other joysticks. More responsive too. I've never tried to use one on a VIC, but it should work.

A regular Sega Genesis pad will work on a VIC. That's what I use.
    o2william's Found & Lost

The Odyssey˛ Homepage! - Visit it for Sync-Sound Action!

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I LOVE the Wico controllers. You've definitely got a gem on the way. I've played Track and Field on mine for hours and hours and hours and it's none the worse for it. If T&F can't break 'em I don't know what can.

FYI: I personally can only use them when I can sit it down on a table. For some reason I've never found it as comfortable to hold in my hands like the VCS controllers.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, it is an excellent controller indeed! I opened and cleaned it a bit (not like it really needed it much at all anyway), and got a chance to look over the insides. It does in fact use exactly the same type of mechanics as arcade controllers inside! This is why it feels and is so sturdy. They should make these types of joysticks (sturdy-wise) for today's systems, although I bet it would cost them an arm and a leg to produce this type of quality in this day and age.