Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ys1&2: Turbo duo or pc complete version?

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ys1&2: Turbo duo or pc complete version?

i've been wanting to try out the ys rpg series from the begining and i have a turbo duo and the ys I & II CD game for it but i recently came across a translation patch for the updated jp only PC remake. now the pc remake has updated interface, graphics, ect... but its gonna set me back a good $60.

i'm really looking for the "definative" version here (and yes I read the article in hardcore gameing on ys, thats what got me into the series). the patch apperently translates the entire game to english and theres even a patch to play the origional turbo duo soundtrack with the game. so does anyone know if the PC complete remake is worth the extra effort to get over the older but highly recommended turbo duo version?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recommend the pc version (Snicker) now you should just give that turbo duo to me its a hunk of junk

Ys on the duo one of the best games of all time
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Play them both if you want, but DON'T OVERLOOK Y'S I AND II ON THE DUO. That game is fantastic, and was considered the difinitive version for years. I can't think of many other games where the whole interface changes halfway through the game (which I realize is the product of moving from Book I to Book II, but it makes for a very satisfying experience). The Duo version is a chunk of history, really, so you shouldn't just decide not to try it, even if there's a "better" version available. Like the NES version of Contra--the arcade version probably looks and sounds a little better, yet the home port just begs to played and appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Duo version is still a hell of a lot of fun. I just played through it earlier this year and it's held up really well. That said, it doesn't even begin to hold a candle to Ys I&II Eternal on PC (especially now that it's possible to play 'em in english). The remake is truely the "definative" version, but to really get the most out of it it's nice to have played the Duo version beforehand

...now if only someone would translate Ys V or Ys V Expert (I'm not picky!). That's the only one I haven't played through yet

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ys V...as much as I love this series I can't make up my mind on that game. It's fun, but some things weren't thought out (do you ever actually need to jump at some point?) and the graphics/audio style is like any other Super Famicom adventure game rather than like the Ys games. Fun stuff though. It recently got a remake on the PS2 and PC like Ys III and IV so I'd think an English patch is being worked on.

The soundtrack on the Duo version is definitive if you ask me.

It does have some minor little details and bits of personality that that are lacking in other versions like the quick incline/decline when you walk up over a bridge and such.

Great series, everyone should play the Ys games.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

PC version, hands down. YS PCE is dated and the combat system is still broken as ever. Ys PC is a bit better, in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yhea. i'm not really concerned about any graphical update with the PC version. i mean the updated graphics are nice and all but i was looking at the improved game controls and combat. i also noticed a patch that would insert the duo soundtrack that everyone raves about, so in essence i figure this will give one the "best of both worlds"

anyone know if the difficulty was tuned down for the PC version? sometimes i think this is needed if the origional was insanely hard but i see to many examples where a challangeing game is turned into a joke by makeing it just to easy. no satisfaction in the victory if you ask me.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well,as other ppl already said:
    Ys 1&2 Complete is the best version by now,graphically and for playability,etc...

But Ys 1&2 Turbo Duo is a piece of HISTORY of video gaming,music is astonishing (it was out in 1989!!!)..i remember playing it in 1989 when other people played NES games like Gremlins 2,etc..an EXTREME music quality difference,it was like you entered in another world

But well,when it comes to Ys, i can't stop dreaming

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually the turbo version to me was way way easier than Ys 1 on SMS, at least... I never had any problems with anything in either Book on the turbo duo, EXCEPT... the last freaking boss. Couldn't do it. Anybody ever beat it? heh

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You had to trick it into sort of moving horizontally in a line while you would be facing "up" at it so that you could strike it multiple times each pass. Other than that GOOD LUCK.

One of my friends has a site called Hardcore Gaming 101 (there was a thread on it here a while ago). He did a breakdown of each of the different versions (check out the character portraits in the X68000 version ):

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/ys/ys.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dunno, I dig the SMS version

You may laugh but when I played it there was no U.S. Turbografx version out :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by NE146
    I dunno, I dig the SMS version

You may laugh but when I played it there was no U.S. Turbografx version out :P
    Old Fart!

No, seriously, the SMS version had it's perks. The motion was a little more fluid, and the lack of load times wasn't bad, either. I'd say it's better than the Famicom version. But the second I played the TG-CD version, and saw the "thunder and lightening" intro, the mega cart was instantly obsolete.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell
    Play them both if you want, but DON'T OVERLOOK Y'S I AND II ON THE DUO. That game is fantastic, and was considered the difinitive version for years. I can't think of many other games where the whole interface changes halfway through the game (which I realize is the product of moving from Book I to Book II, but it makes for a very satisfying experience). The Duo version is a chunk of history, really, so you shouldn't just decide not to try it, even if there's a "better" version available. Like the NES version of Contra--the arcade version probably looks and sounds a little better, yet the home port just begs to played and appreciated.
    Agreed

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ys Eternal has one major advantage over the PC Engine game, and that's the story. The dialog is much more rich and detailed, and there are additional scenes that show the relationships between the characters in more detail. I am talking about the English patch, by the way. But I do still play the PC Engine version fomr time to time; I think the music is much better on the PC Engine. But somebody actually modified Ys Eternal to play the PC Engine soundtrack! That is the ultimate.

But what I want to know about is the Saturn version. (Falcom Classics games) The graphics look more spritey, and I like that. Anyone played them? How's the music?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

Quote Originally Posted by Adol
    But Ys 1&2 Turbo Duo is a piece of HISTORY of video gaming,music is astonishing (it was out in 1989!!!)
    You make a great point; the fact that this was an incredible CD based experience in 1989 is pretty impressive, especially considering that the killer CD application for the PC/Mac platforms, Myst, wouldn't hit the scene until 1994.

Think about that . . . Ys I+II came out a half-decade before Myst.

I was still playing games on my C64 in 1989 (Yeah, I was a retrogamer even then) and loading things from a 5.25 floppy drive. If someone had put a Turboduo in front of me and "booted up" Ys I+II I would have fallen out of my chair with my jaw dropped for the next few hours.

That being said, now that I know there is an English patch, I've just gotten real curious about that newer version.
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Strawberry (Level 2) sickdrummer420's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    sickdrummer420

both great versions of the game. i recently went through both versions and would still have to say i love the tg16 version. mainly because i remember first getting it back in 1990 and i puked and shit my pants at the same time. priceless
    Drummers do it with rythym

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Turbo version is a true classic. It requires the right perspective now, but there are few games that are so rewarding over time. I have played through it at least 10 times and I am very much NOT an RPG person. It just has this mystique to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No one ever bought my nice boxed copy of the Famicom version. (Or did I let it go for real cheap one night when I was feeling despondent? I forget.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Graham, yeah yeah I'm old. Don't rub it in

All this talk about the TG16 version makes me want to try it out. I have NEVER even gotten past the initial village in that game. I had no reason to because I had already beaten the SMS version numerous times. I had zero motiviation to play the same game again eveb with better graphics & sound.

NOW however.. it's been way over a decade. I forgot everything! This is the perfect time to play the game again. Ok.. TG16 version it is! That's my next game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by NE146
    Graham, yeah yeah I'm old. Don't rub it in

All this talk about the TG16 version makes me want to try it out. I have NEVER even gotten past the initial village in that game. I had no reason to because I had already beaten the SMS version numerous times. I had zero motiviation to play the same game again eveb with better graphics & sound.

NOW however.. it's been way over a decade. I forgot everything! This is the perfect time to play the game again. Ok.. TG16 version it is! That's my next game
    Dude, you won't regret it. I actually believe Y's Book I and II to be the greatest video game of all time. And you never even saw Book II! It's not in the SMS version. Really, Book I is beautiful (look at the overworld detail, or watch the consistency of the weights and counterbalances in the mine elevator), but the romance won't hit you until you get into Book II, and it'll just hit you over the head. You will feel like you're taking part in something epic, despite the shit voice acting.