Thread: Replacement of Save-Data Memory

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Replacement of Save-Data Memory

How can I replace and/or repair a gameboy advance/Nintendo DS/genesis MOdules where I cant save anymore?

I got a Shining soul 2 for the GBA, Where you cant save anymore and some games on the Genesis with the same problem. I heard it needs a replacement of the battery for the save function on old systems like genesis/SNES. is it the same solution for Game boy Advanced and Nintendo DS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Default Re: Replacement of Save-Data Memory

Quote Originally Posted by shabb
    How can I replace and/or repair a gameboy advance/Nintendo DS/genesis MOdules where I cant save anymore?

I got a Shining soul 2 for the GBA, Where you cant save anymore and some games on the Genesis with the same problem. I heard it needs a replacement of the battery for the save function on old systems like genesis/SNES. is it the same solution for Game boy Advanced and Nintendo DS?
    NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA, GBC are all going to have a battery inside the cartridge. Open it up and replace it with the same type. Usually you have to desolder the stock battery clips (as the stock battery is tacked onto them) and replace them with a battery holder.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default thank you

but what about the Nintendo DS cards?
    I heard they use flash instead of battery buffered ram. is it possible to replace it to (even with some work of a pro)?

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Aren't DS games saved to the system itself?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Not all GBA games use batteries- most use flash. And a lot of Genesis games use flash too, generally first party titles, Sonic 3 being the most prominent example off the top of my head.

When the flash components no longer work you set about replacing them. GBA carts use surface mount soldered components, Genesis game PCBs use pass-through aka DIP. Electronic supply shops strewn about the internet are likely to have replacements and if not, then you thieve the components off of a cheaper, crappier game. Fast fact: All the Majesco published copies of Greatest Hits Sonic 3 made in Mexico could be used to entomb shabb 30 times over, with enough left for spare to cram down his mouth.

Finally, shabb, stop being such a broken record about DS games this and DS games that, oh god will they break what will I do???? Guess the fuck what, your grandmother eventually dies, your favorite dog dies, YOU fucking die. The DS cards will likely outlast you and if one doesn't, buy another copy on ebay ten years down the line, they're all part of a mass manufactured plastic cornucopia.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would if somebody could give me a definite answer to my questions!