Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I gave some questions on Turbografx CD, DUO, and cards>&g

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I gave some questions on Turbografx CD, DUO, and cards>&g

ok i have a few easy questions im sure someone can help me out with>

1. Are there DUO games made to be played only on a duo? Or can all the games that say DUO on them be played in a turbografx cd?

2. Im thinking about getting a TG 16 with cd add on instead of a DUO. would that be a better move? Will it limit me to playing certain games?

3. Also what do i need to play japenese card games like tonma, and others?? What do i need to purchase?

4. What are some of the best Turbografx CD or DUO Games?

Any info would be gretly appreciated thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok cool thanks bro. and about my otehr question. what do you think would be the best set up?? turbo Duo, or TG 16 with CD add on and upgrade card 3.0?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parpunk
    ok cool thanks bro. and about my otehr question. what do you think would be the best set up?? turbo Duo, or TG 16 with CD add on and upgrade card 3.0?
    I like the TurboDuo but some of the other tech people will chime in about the audio problem due to the board design and say to get a PCEngine Duo-R or PCEngine Duo-RX, but then you need a converter for US TurboGrafx-16 HuCARDs. I've never had this overheating problem myself but there are cases of it out there. The TurboCD attachment was simply not built to last although if you're going to be playing burned games it is said to have better compatibility.

Personally I'd go for a TurboDuo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer the Turbo + CD attachment over the Duo, although it seems most other people like the Duo better. I've had two Turbo-CD setups and one PC Engine + CD suitcase setup and haven't had any problems with any of them. One of the Turbo-CD setups has seen fairly constant use since I bought it in 1990 (less a couple of years while I was in college), and it still works perfectly. Some people claim they're somehow less durable than Duos, but that hasn't been my experience at all.

The only problem with the CD attachment is getting your hands on a System Card 3.0, which you need for any SuperCD games. The US version isn't that common and somewhat pricey as a result. If you also want to play Japanese HuCards, I'd recommend either modding your Turbo or getting a converter, then buying a Japanse system card since they're much cheaper. And if you're getting a Japanese system card you might as well get the Arcade Card Pro so you can play all CD games. You need the Pro card for non-Duo systems. It's more expensive than the Arcade Card Duo, but not that bad.

The Turbo region mod is a little more involved than most other systems. Not that hard if you're used to that sort of work, but you can find people online that will mod it for you if you don't want to do it yourself. Even paying someone to mod your Turbo is probably cheaper than buying a converter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok now if i bought a turbo duo would i have to go through all those system cards etc? or will the duo already have all that stuff built in? and will the duo play everything BUT japenese hu cards, and if thats the case can a converter be bougt to work on the duo to play japenese hu cards? Also if so how much d they run? thanks!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmmm...

Super Grafx + Super CD-Rom2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

ok now if i bought a turbo duo would i have to go through all those system cards etc? or will the duo already have all that stuff built in? and will the duo play everything BUT japenese hu cards, and if thats the case can a converter be bougt to work on the duo to play japenese hu cards? Also if so how much d they run? thanks!
    The TurboDuo has the System Card 3.0 built in internally. Yes, a converter can be used with a TurboDuo to allow usage of Japanese HuCARDs as well as the Japanese Arcade Card (for the handful of Arcade CD's). Converters range in price greatly. Most of the time they're big money but I have seen them go for next to nothing. Basically they switch the order of eight pins that differ between TG-16 and PCEngine HuCARDs.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Depending on the circumstances, it may be cheaper to get a Japanese PC Engine Duo-R or RX and just buy a stand-alone TurboGrafx-16 for US hucards. That's the route I've taken, and I'm happy with it. I prefer to do everything legit instead of dealing with system mods and third party converters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    Depending on the circumstances, it may be cheaper to get a Japanese PC Engine Duo-R or RX and just buy a stand-alone TurboGrafx-16 for US hucards. That's the route I've taken, and I'm happy with it. I prefer to do everything legit instead of dealing with system mods and third party converters.
    Or you could buy at TurboDuo and then a PCEngine CORE Grafx for Japanese HuCARDs, basically the flip-flopped route. I know a few people who have done that back when you could get a CORE Grafx for like $20 on eBay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The best solution is a Super Grafx with a region switch modification, a Super CD-ROM 2 unit, and an Arcade Card Duo. Of course, that kind of setup usually doesn't come cheap.

Personally, I stick with the TG16 CD unit, region-modded, with the System Card 2.0, Super System Card 3.0, and Arcade Card Pro. I'm not a fan of the converter boards and I prefer the TG16 since accessories for the system are more common than Duo accessories where I live.

Also, I'd suggest against getting a Duo from one region and then getting a TG16 or PCE from the other region just because saving your progress in certain HuCard games is a pain unless you have a Turbo Booster Plus or the Japanese equivalent. I don't like password saves when better methods are available.

How many people here have a Duo with 5 Duo controllers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't mean to derail this thread at all, my question is kind of related.

What would you tg16 guru's recommend for someone who only wants to use Hucards?

I've always loved Blazing Lasers and have always wanted a Turbo Express.

Is it worth the added expense to get a Turbo Express? Is there anything wrong with them that would make you want a stock tg16 instead?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Turbo Express

The turbo express lcd screen (though at the time was the best) doesn't show off all the colors, resolution, small screen so that text can be tough to read and frame rate as a TV. If you want to see all the colors, graphics etc you should get a TG16. Another problem with the turbo express is even though it is portable, it eats batteries like no tomorrow (a way to compensate for this is by using the ac adapter or buy the 15 min rechargeable batteries).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Also of course, if I remember correctly, all the PCEngines and the TurboDuo use the same size controller port. Only the TurboGrafx-16 used the larger one. This allows you to use the larger assortment of PCEngine accessories such as the awesome ASCII Stick Engine, which is basically an NES Advantage for the PCEngine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

woah cool. sounds sweet! Alright some other quick questions>

1. Can the Pd engine Duo r and RX play ALL US cd games without any converters etc.??

2. Basically if i buy a Pc engine Duo and counting the US TG 16 i already have. i can basically play ANY game made for the turbografx systems? whether it be cd, card, or duo games? (thats basically he set up im looking for)

3. And after looking on ebay this is the only thing i could find>> is this what you guys are talking about? whats the difference between a duo r and an rx?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEC-PC-Engine-DU...QQcmdZViewItem

4. Also whats a good price to pay for a duo R with a game or two and 2 controllers? Thats the only one i found on ebay. Anyone know anyone that has one for sale? any help would be awesome thanks!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, an R or RX will be able to play all the US games. With that and a TurboGrafx-16 you'll be able to play everything but Super Grafx games, which most people tend to ignore. :P There are hardly any Super Grafx games, and I think only a couple are regarded as being particularly good. The difference between the R and the RX is that the RX came with a (crappy) 6-button controller. Seriously, that's about the only difference I remember.

As for a good price, others will have to give suggestions on that since I got mine from Japan Yahoo auctions from a friend with connections. It was a present, but I think it came out to about $120 shipped with a few accessories, around 15 games, and a second broken RX that I gotta fix or sell whenever I get around to it. o_O I think the chances of getting a deal like that are pretty slim on eBay, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hmmm thanks a lot for the info bro. well anything beats the $500.00 that the freakin turbo duo's have been going for. it freakin sucks too. i usedto have a turbo duo and then i sold mine with like 8 games and i only got $200.00!!!! for it. man i wish i kept it. thi sucks lol. But hopefully i can find a duo R sometime. thanks a lot for the info. anyone else know a decent price for one? thanks!

PS The Duo R will also play the US CD Games too? i have monsters lair and really wanna play it but still have no duo.

-Mark

Pac-Man (Level 10) Ascending Wordsmith's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, the Duo-R will play American disc games.
    Never use a long word where a short one will do.

--George Orwell

(formerly PC Kwaj)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

hmmm thanks a lot for the info bro. well anything beats the $500.00 that the freakin turbo duo's have been going for.
    I'm still waiting to see proof that TurboDuo's have been selling for that much. Granted, I know people have been hording them lately and not as many are coming up for sale as in years previous, but come on. If someone would show me that kind of cash I would glady sell them my TurboDuo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Personally I have PC Engine Duo-R also play u.s.a cd games and soon I get mod to play u.s game or get turbo duo