Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Funcoland Price Lists

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why all of the hate on Gamestop/it's employees? Saying that they themselves don't play games and aren't gamers is just wrong, atleast in my area.

As far as funcoland is concerned, about 4 years ago I found a website dedicated to people bitching about Funcoland. It was pretty funny to read. But for my personal experience, I've only been to one Funcoland, and it was in Appleton, Wisconsin. A very nice store, but the staff was a different story. All of them were disinterested in helping customers, but there was one female employee that I really liked.

Also, Gamestop and EB BOTH used to sell "classic" games, as recently as May of this year.
    I am teh winnar of the internet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why all of the hate on Gamestop/it's employees? Saying that they themselves don't play games and aren't gamers is just wrong, atleast in my area.

As far as funcoland is concerned, about 4 years ago I found a website dedicated to people bitching about Funcoland. It was pretty funny to read. But for my personal experience, I've only been to one Funcoland, and it was in Appleton, Wisconsin. A very nice store, but the staff was a different story. All of them were disinterested in helping customers, but there was one female employee that I really liked.

Also, Gamestop and EB BOTH used to sell "classic" games, as recently as May of this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

Man, Funcoland was awesome. When I discovered them I was in junior high I think, maybe my first year of high school, and I would be down at my local chapter for something like two, three days a week... so often that they actually knew me. But I wasn't one of those kids that would stop by and just play (when they had the classic system set-ups), I would save up every dollar of lunch money I could and buy at least one game nearly every time I went in there. That's how my collection grew to the size that it is now, all of those $0.99 and $1.99 NES games I found, as well as the cheapo Genesis games I could get (that weren't sports titles lol).

They even offered me an application once when I found a price for a customer in the price guide faster than they found it in the computer. When I was 15 and couldn't take it. *snap*

I miss that place, the people at mine were absolutely awesome and the place kinda had that hole-in-the-wall feel, which suited it perfectly I think. Now it's a GameStop... and the people who work at there (my old one, don't know about the one I'm nearby now) just... meh. Don't seem to know a whole lot, and don't really give a comfortable feel.

I miss the good ol' days...

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Just about all the Gamestops here still have "FuncoLand, Babbages, Software Etc, GameStop" on the bottom of the receipts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Goodwill Hunter
    Oh man do I remember those papers! The Funcolands that were around here all turned into GameStop and slowly GS got rid of all the older games (Whatever methods I don't know). The odd thing is that only 1 of those converted Funcoland locations is gone now and I believe it's from so many other EB/GS locations around it. Up at the nearest mall there's 3 GSs and an EB within half mile of the mall. It's pretty insane because it's the same way around every mall. They need to spread themselves out farther instead of clumping all the locations together.

Back to Funcoland though, I never had a problem with them. Anything I wanted they had and everyone was so friendly. On top of that they had nearly every game system out on display for customers to play and they'd even sometimes swap out games so people could test it. I wish I had a stack of papers like Goodwill Hunter does so I could look over the prices and compare to todays standards and maybe print a few out at school and show them to others. :P
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 64Bits
    mm-hmm, good luck if you could even find them then, and then spend an afternoon removing the 20,000 price stickers. You know "USED, PLAYED BEFORE, OLD!, INVENTORY FILLER, NOW OVERPRICED!, PLEASE BUY A DISCOUNT CARD!, 15 CENTS OFF!, BUY SOME DVD'S AND INUYASHA ACTION FIGURES WHILE HERE - WE'RE NOT A GAME STORE - THAT'S JUST A FRONT!!" and so forth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    mm-hmm, good luck if you could even find them then, and then spend an afternoon removing the 20,000 price stickers. You know "USED, PLAYED BEFORE, OLD!, INVENTORY FILLER, NOW OVERPRICED!, PLEASE BUY A DISCOUNT CARD!, 15 CENTS OFF!, BUY SOME DVD'S AND INUYASHA ACTION FIGURES WHILE HERE - WE'RE NOT A GAME STORE - THAT'S JUST A FRONT!!" and so forth.
    gamestops/eb's around here put classic cartridges in plastic bags with a cardboard tag stapled to the top..... so that wasn't a problem, atleast around here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

gamestops/eb's around here put classic cartridges in plastic bags with a cardboard tag stapled to the top..... so that wasn't a problem, atleast around here.
    That was called sarcasim, lad.

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here are the price sheet scans I promised earlier…sorry they’re so big, but the small print used, especially at the end of their run, required a bit of enlargement…

This is one of Funco’s earlier sheets from Demeber of 1993, where they had so much room, they let the NES List take up the entire front cover, and then some. These sheets helped me trade in a ton of cheap NES Blockbuster ex-rentals for big-time credit…anyone remember those yellow Funco credit slips? (“…and don’t lose this, because it’s just like cash and can’t be replaced!”), my wallet back then was stuffed with them.

Ahhh….this one brings back fond memories as well. The few months after Christmas 1999 was the sweet spot for NES collecting. It seemed like everyone had traded in NES games for the Holidays, and every Funco was stuffed with ‘em. There were literally hundreds of NES games priced under 2 bucks, and I think I picked up one of nearly all of them. I would take a price sheet, highlight all of the games I wanted, hand it to an employee, and say, “One each of these please!”

I was getting 50-60 games at a time, and after the discount card, paying only $40-$50 in credit. Because of the screwy way that their registers worked, checking out sometimes took as much as 20 minutes, pissing off everybody else in the store. But filling a ton of holes in my NES collection for next-to-nothing was definitely worth the hassle. This was also one of the last price sheets to feature the NES on the cover…the PS1 took over in the Spring of 2000.

This was the last Funco price sheet that was out on the counters. I also have an April 2001 sheet that was sent out to stores, but not given out to the public (at least in my area). I still remember walking into my local Funcoland and being told that price sheets would no longer be given out. I thought, “This can’t be good news,” and sure enough… the Funco marquees soon started coming down , replaced by the soulless entity known as Gamestop. I kept a copy of that last sheet in my wallet for a good six months, before it completely fell apart. Funco was the source of huge chunks of my NES, Genesis, SegaCD, and Saturn collections, and I still smile whenever I come across an NES game that still has one of those cardboard Funco sleeves.

Rich
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Wow, thanks for the scans!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kainemaxwell
    Wow, thanks for the scans!
    My pleasure! I didn't really read these over when I scanned them in, but looking them over here has given me another reason to smile...I always asked about this game, but unfortunately they never had it in stock...check out the asking price for Stadium Events in the middle scan...

Rich
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some of those prices are insane. $42 for Lolo III? $29.90 for Jurassic Park? $32 for Barbie!? Barbie is more expensive then Final Fantasy and Contra Force. :/

$39.90 for Tecmo Super Bowl. $39 for Tetris 2.

The second list looks a little more realistic. I thought some of Funco's prices where out there before, but...yipes!

Thanks for the scans!

My first PC games and favorite game of all-time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ohh, ok. The first one is from '93. That makes a little more sense, but those prices are still based on the loose cart I'm guessing...? Those are still pretty steep, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodwill Hunter
    Ahhh….this one brings back fond memories as well. The few months after Christmas 1999 was the sweet spot for NES collecting. It seemed like everyone had traded in NES games for the Holidays, and every Funco was stuffed with ‘em. There were literally hundreds of NES games priced under 2 bucks, and I think I picked up one of nearly all of them. I would take a price sheet, highlight all of the games I wanted, hand it to an employee, and say, “One each of these please!”

I was getting 50-60 games at a time, and after the discount card, paying only $40-$50 in credit. Because of the screwy way that their registers worked, checking out sometimes took as much as 20 minutes, pissing off everybody else in the store. But filling a ton of holes in my NES collection for next-to-nothing was definitely worth the hassle.
    That's just awesome! I didn't have a physical store anywhere near me around that time or else I would have got my NES buying mojo on at that time too.

The third scan is interesting. I didn't know they lasted long enough to start listing PS2 games. Hmm...

My first PC games and favorite game of all-time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man do I wish we still had a strong going store with lots of Dreamcast selection...
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haha I remember they had a Director chair in the front of the store that said "Mom" on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

Thanks for the scan!

How about Dragon Ball Gt: Final Bout for $99.99, hahah. Totally worth it.
    Welcome to Macintosh.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

99 CENTS FOR CHAVEZ BOXING 2?! D:
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Mega Man X3 wasn't cheap back then eather

Bonks Adventure on the NES $3.99...I wish that was the case now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania
    Bonks Adventure on the NES $3.99...I wish that was the case now