Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The worst conditioned consoles/acc/games You've EVER seen?

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If/when you get a system that has/had roaches living in it you can tell just by the *smell* alone.

Anyone who has found a system with roaches in it knows the smell i'm talking about.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cambot
    Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu
    I always see this SNES at a pawn shop not even in the case with all the other video game stuff. It has a sign next it that says "$5.00 as is." The poor system is yellow on both sides (almost green even) and has multiple cigaarette burns and all sorts of other dirt, crud, stains and muck.
    Holy shit. Aren't you in Houston? Is this pawn shop in a strip center next to a Radio Shack?

LMAO, I was just about to mention the same exact SNES! Too funny. That same pawn shop had an X-Box with no cords or controllers "As Is" for $50. Closer inspection showed that it had been opened at one point.
    That's hilarious. It's the pawn shop on Westheimer, right? They have some decent games from time to time (got a Dreamcast there). Also got a boxed NES Ninja Gaiden there with all original inserts. Wow, that's so weird. (sorry to sidebar, folks)
    Yup, the one on Westheimer. I didn't get a chance to swing by yesterday so I plan on doing so today.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noname11
    how much bad luck does everyone else have ? I have literally something like 22 PSX systems, 5 PSones, 4 Dreamcast and countless genesis systems and at least 2 of most every other system..... and have never found any bugs / weird smells or any of the disgusting ailments you all are talking about... and almost all those systems were bought used/ off ebay ..

I used to complain when my systems would smell like cigarette smoke...sheesh , Ill take that any day over anything you guys have had to deal with
    That is a lot of stuff, dude. Most of mine come from stores in the northeastern part of the US, in Maine, where roaches and other gross creepy crawlies aren't such a big problem (too cold). You don't see many either, do you Shawn (if you are reading this)?

I rarely buy systems off Ebay, since the damn shipping is so expensive. Truthfully, roaches and other crap like that is usually the exception, rather than the rule. As for having a system covered with food, if it isn't smeared on the outside then the likelihood of food fragments being on the inside seems unlikely. But that is just my opinion.

I never had a problem with consoles being yellowed or slightly smoke stained. It just makes them look like shit, and kills some of the resale value, but all I care about is their performance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I always see this SNES at a pawn shop not even in the case with all the other video game stuff. It has a sign next it that says "$5.00 as is." The poor system is yellow on both sides (almost green even) and has multiple cigaarette burns and all sorts of other dirt, crud, stains and muck.
    Holy shit. Aren't you in Houston? Is this pawn shop in a strip center next to a Radio Shack?

LMAO, I was just about to mention the same exact SNES! Too funny. That same pawn shop had an X-Box with no cords or controllers "As Is" for $50. Closer inspection showed that it had been opened at one point.
    That's hilarious. It's the pawn shop on Westheimer, right? They have some decent games from time to time (got a Dreamcast there). Also got a boxed NES Ninja Gaiden there with all original inserts. Wow, that's so weird. (sorry to sidebar, folks)
    Yup, the one on Westheimer. I didn't get a chance to swing by yesterday so I plan on doing so today.
    Great. You should try restoring it. If not, list it on the Buy/Sell forums, since I am sure somebody would be interested in tinkering with it, including me. I don't even own a Super NES anymore. It could become my main unit Ha ha!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Eww. How do Spider get in there...I have seen a real dirty Genesis 1

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Vent openings on cases.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango

Great. You should try restoring it. If not, list it on the Buy/Sell forums, since I am sure somebody would be interested in tinkering with it, including me. I don't even own a Super NES anymore. It could become my main unit Ha ha!
    Well, I swung by the pawn shop today and checked out the SNES again. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the power "socket" is damaged. All that is left is two tiny metal prongs. I think someone else in this thread had mentioned a SNES with this same problem.

Well on top of that, there was some corrosion going on the back of the system (RF video plug). I noticed a bit of grime on the bottom of the system and opened the EXT port...and found it loaded with dirt and grit. When I gently shook the SNES I could hear that it was also loaded with foreign particles!

Needless to say, I couldn't bring myself to buy it. Yeah, I pussied out....but seriously I don't know if this system salvagable. It almost looks like it was caught in a flood.

Now the pawn shop did have 2 PSP's, a Gamecube, at least 4 or 5 N64's, 2 or 3 PS2's (inlcuding a slimline), and 2 other SNES (one overpriced for $54.95 and a heavily yellowed one they appeared to just acquired).

I left with TMNT IV: Turtles In Time; Mickey Mania for $5 each for the SNES and Night Caster for Xbox for $6.

The ball is in your court, Cambot. Are ye brave enough to buy this forsaken SNES?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No, but you should have at least bought it give it a proper burial.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

No, but you should have at least bought it give it a proper burial.
    Damn, I would have like to have obtained it somehow to have a "project."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I found a GameCube at a thrift store for $20. When I examined it I noticed that it came with no controller or power adapter. Hell, it was even missing the nameplate that goes on the top.

I had trouble opening the lid due to the fact that it was stuck shut due to having some juice spilled into the unit.

When I acquired a power adaptor I found, not surprisingly, that it didn't work. So I decided to open it up to examine the unit. I found that the juice had gotten everywhere inside the unit. I also found that a couple of the screw posts were broken off and that the handle was also cracked. It also had lots of dust inside it as well.

After cleaning out most of the juice I went and used a multimeter on the power board. I found that the power stopped at a component that looked like a small white block. The numbers on it looked like a fuse rating so I soldered a small wire to both ends of this small part to see what would happen. The GameCube came back to life. I replaced the wire with a ferrite/wire part and repaired the plastic with plastic welder. I also finished cleaning out the rest of the juice. I also repainted the sides and even replaced the system battery, which was killed by the juice, with a battery holder salvaged from one of my dead PS2s and popped a new CR2032 into it. All that's missing is a new nameplate.

What I think happened to this unit was that a child spilled juice into the unit which fried it then it got thrown across a room which caused the damage to the plastic. Shortly therafter it was sent to this thrift store where I would later find it. I swear, people just don't know how to take care of electronics anymore.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Good Greif charlie brown! I almost never find stuff like that gamecube just described. Must be because people around here take care of their stuff.

Hey! I don't remember who bought this, But I remember someone posting in a finds thread that they bought a Sega CDX for a quarter and it had a LOT of dead bugs in it. Don't know if they got it working.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Cube

Quote Originally Posted by RARusk
    I found a GameCube at a thrift store for $20. When I examined it I noticed that it came with no controller or power adapter. Hell, it was even missing the nameplate that goes on the top.

I had trouble opening the lid due to the fact that it was stuck shut due to having some juice spilled into the unit.

When I acquired a power adaptor I found, not surprisingly, that it didn't work. So I decided to open it up to examine the unit. I found that the juice had gotten everywhere inside the unit. I also found that a couple of the screw posts were broken off and that the handle was also cracked. It also had lots of dust inside it as well.

After cleaning out most of the juice I went and used a multimeter on the power board. I found that the power stopped at a component that looked like a small white block. The numbers on it looked like a fuse rating so I soldered a small wire to both ends of this small part to see what would happen. The GameCube came back to life. I replaced the wire with a ferrite/wire part and repaired the plastic with plastic welder. I also finished cleaning out the rest of the juice. I also repainted the sides and even replaced the system battery, which was killed by the juice, with a battery holder salvaged from one of my dead PS2s and popped a new CR2032 into it. All that's missing is a new nameplate.

What I think happened to this unit was that a child spilled juice into the unit which fried it then it got thrown across a room which caused the damage to the plastic. Shortly therafter it was sent to this thrift store where I would later find it. I swear, people just don't know how to take care of electronics anymore.....
    I found a Game Cube for the exact same price in a thrift store, was yours from Goodwill? Mine was. This Cube had an open button that was stuck or jammed and you could not close the lid. There was evidence somebody had been trying to squeeze into the small space with a screwdriver or pen, something like that, so they could get the button unlodged. The top of the system was all scratched up. I managed to open it enough to clear up this problem with the button. Aside from this, the system works great and even came with a loose game inside so I thought $20 was a nice bargain, considering I bought the thing about a year ago. Some little kid had probably gotten the button jammed and his or her parents could not fix it. As a result, it was assumed to be broken and taken off to Goodwill. I already told this story a couple times before in other threads.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This goes to show how much eb games has went down the tubes. I bought an xbox there, I didnt get a chance to see it. It was completely dirty, It took me an hour to get it all washed off. than I got disk read errors for 2 months, I got that fixed. pisses me off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While its not THAT bad, this NES controller I picked up (25 cents) is the worst I've seen.
    The new one is on the bottom, the top one is for comparison.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NES_Rules
    While its not THAT bad, this NES controller I picked up (25 cents) is the worst I've seen.
    The new one is on the bottom, the top one is for comparison.
    I think your new controller has jaundice.

I haven't seen anything terrible myself -- the worst I can remember was an unnaturally brown NES covered in sunday school stickers being sold at the same price as clean looking ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I once almost bought a TurboDuo infested with smallpox! Of course, you couldn't really see the virus, but you knew it was there. So I didn't buy it.

(Okay, I guess I just made that up)
    Denial - The Commodore VIC 20 Community
    www.sleepingelephant.com/denial

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I'm bumping up my own topic from nearly 16 years ago, because why not - I do have something to add to it, and this much later, maybe there will be a few more stories to tell beside mine.

1:

In 2005 or 2006 (and I'm surprised I didn't mention this when I first made this thread,) I bought several boxes of systems and games for $30. There was a Model 1 Genesis, a Model 1 Super NES, an Odyssey 2 with the box, maybe one other system but I don't think there was, and some games.

This was bought from one particular hole in the wall store in the middle of nowhere that (counting this lot) I actually got a few lots of cool stuff from, for fairly cheaply. However, this particular load was the worst conditioned lot I ever got from the store. All of the systems smelled like cigarettes or cigars, for starters. After that, the Super NES and Genesis games had blue-green metal corrosion on the contacts. Bubsy II and Boogerman were in the lot, semi-appropriately. I destroyed the contacts on Bubsy II trying to repair it (not knowing that I should just stop sanding at a much earlier time,) but Boogerman lived to disgust another day. Bubsy II had label damage then, so it was already in poor shape.

2:

An Atari 2600 bought in maybe 2005, with its original box, for $4. The box was very well damaged and missing flaps on one side, but the system was fine.

3:

A Sega Saturn in 2016. The save battery had leaked acid all over the board. The system works, but I have no games for it now.

4:

In 2017, I bought a GBA SP cheaply. One accidental drop later, and it's a parts system because as it turns out, the plastic at the hinges becomes very brittle.

5:

This year, I found a GBA SP that has the same problem as 4, but I didn't buy it then. I might buy it if it's still there when I return.

- Austin