Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The worst conditioned consoles/acc/games You've EVER seen?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Waaaaaay too many roach stories in here (one is too many). It never even crossed my mind that some of these old systems I'm pulling into my home, more importantly, my bedroom, filled with all these bugs. Its freaking me out. That same SNES I received with the brown/yellow film on it has a mild stink to it, I may just have to buy a security bit and open the thing up. I cleaned up the outside nicely, but haven't gotten around to the inside just yet. I'd rather know it has something gross in it than leave it in my room unopened. What are the sizes for those security bits again? Is it 3/8 mm for NES or something and something a little larger for SNES, i'm sure someone knows off hand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrmark0673
    What are the sizes for those security bits again? Is it 3/8 mm for NES or something and something a little larger for SNES, i'm sure someone knows off hand.
    3.8 mm Torx For SNES games, NES games and the like. 4.5 mm Torx Plus for SNES, N64 and Gamecube Systems. But do NOT buy them off of ebay, You're likely to get some junk steel from taiwan.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Roaches found in a slim model PS2, still alive...that was a trip.

Mostly found "bug graveyards" in NES systems mainly.

Worst console I've ever seen, was one I got for a $1 from a flea market down in Temple, TX. This was a Super NES that survived a house fire. The entire console was completely blacken with smoke deposits and ashes in the inside, shell casing was trying to melt from the heat of the fire. Apparently the previous owner saved it in time. Only downside was when he ripped it from the sockets, out came the DC connectors, leaving two pins sticking out from the back. However, regardless of the black smokey Super NES, it still worked.

Also, had to clean out an N64 that had fruit juice spilled in it. That was a wreck

Worst condition game I've ever seen. Street Fighter Alpha 2 for PS1, this was a rental copy from Block Buster Video. The actual disc label was scratched out and placed a BLOCK BUSTER video logo, the disc was cracked in the center about 5 times.

Worst Accessory I've ever seen, mostly NES RF Switches that have the tips ripped off, which confuses me on how people actually find the time to destroy them.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slate
    What are the sizes for those security bits again? Is it 3/8 mm for NES or something and something a little larger for SNES, i'm sure someone knows off hand.
    3.8 mm Torx For SNES games, NES games and the like. 4.5 mm Torx Plus for SNES, N64 and Gamecube Systems. But do NOT buy them off of ebay, You're likely to get some junk steel from taiwan.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll see if I can swing by the local home depot today and grab a set. Where are you guys getting most of these systems that are filled with roaches? Yard sales, flea markets, private sales, mail? I am curious to know how these came into your possession. Also, how much did you pay for these systems and could you tell they were in bad condition before you opened them? I'm opening all my systems outside tonight because of all these creepy stories.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Could you tell they were in bad condition before you opened them? I'm opening all my systems outside tonight because of all these creepy stories.
    Sometimes you can, Sometimes you can't. Push Upstairs' experience with the gamecube proves that.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thanks for the advice, I'll see if I can swing by the local home depot today and grab a set. Where are you guys getting most of these systems that are filled with roaches? Yard sales, flea markets, private sales, mail? I am curious to know how these came into your possession. Also, how much did you pay for these systems and could you tell they were in bad condition before you opened them? I'm opening all my systems outside tonight because of all these creepy stories.
    I saw this post and your other post. I feel the exact same way you do. This thread creeps me out. I was disturbed enough that I decided to get cracking on some of my systems. I'm the type who never opens them up or cleans them, unless there are signs they need to be.

Tonight, I opened three PSX/PS1 systems. All three of them were acquired second-hand through the Salvation Army (which is why I had them in one pile). I was fortunate enough to find they were all very clean inside with no bugs, no food fragments or anything like that. That is a credit to the previous owners, since the Salvation Army sure as hell doesn't clean everything they put out for display.

I've got several more systems to check. However, I think I may luck out. Nearly all of them were acquired from "trusted" sources and I have a good feeling they are bug-free. As Slate said though, you can never tell.

Cambot and Damaramu:

Just my opinion but one of you needs to buy that Super NES for $5, since you seem to live in the area. I'm sure somebody on here, maybe even myself, would give you your money back (for the console and shipping). I understand it'd be a headache to restore it, or ship it, but it seems kind of pointless to leave it rotting there. I agree with cOldb33r on that subject. I'd have a hard time passing up any console for $5, even a 2600 or Game Boy.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs
    My infamous "Gamecube infested with roaches" story, or the 2600 with 20+ years of dust, dirt, & mouse poop on it.

Thank a deity or your choice i wore gloves when cleaning *ANYTYHING*.
    I have had several of those 20+ years of dust and mouse poop 2600s also my first O2 fit that discription.

Reading these post made me think cleaning up old video game systems might make a good subject for the show about Dirty Jobs. I can see that guy on the show now with Goo Gone, Qtips, WD40, windex etc. cleaning systems and games.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You'll need security bits, not Torx. Torx is a completely differrent animal. It is used to take apart xboxes. Plus, security bits are not something you'll find at home depot or fry's for that matter. You'll most likely have to order online. I have bought a couple sets from ebay and they work just fine. Just because something comes from Taiwan, doesn't mean its junk.

I usually open up consoles for a different reason but I'll clean it if its dirty. Canned air usually does the trick.

Strawberry (Level 2) Mr.collection's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had a dreamcast that was fadded to a nice piss yellow. I sold it to Sniderman.
    Feedback
    Don't think of me as a youngn' just a collector that learned his basics from a Pico.
    I just like that tingling feeling in my eyeballs when I play VB.
    I am looking for a Mini Neo Geo 2- slot 13".

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango
    Cambot and Damaramu:

Just my opinion but one of you needs to buy that Super NES for $5, since you seem to live in the area. I'm sure somebody on here, maybe even myself, would give you your money back (for the console and shipping). I understand it'd be a headache to restore it, or ship it, but it seems kind of pointless to leave it rotting there. I agree with cOldb33r on that subject. I'd have a hard time passing up any console for $5, even a 2600 or Game Boy.
    I live less than 5 minutes from this pawn shop, almost literally around the corner. I'll swing by there tomorrow to see if they have it. The guys there are nice and are buddies with a guy I know. I wonder if that X-Box sold?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu
    Quote Originally Posted by Cambot
    I always see this SNES at a pawn shop not even in the case with all the other video game stuff. It has a sign next it that says "$5.00 as is." The poor system is yellow on both sides (almost green even) and has multiple cigaarette burns and all sorts of other dirt, crud, stains and muck.
    Holy shit. Aren't you in Houston? Is this pawn shop in a strip center next to a Radio Shack?

LMAO, I was just about to mention the same exact SNES! Too funny. That same pawn shop had an X-Box with no cords or controllers "As Is" for $50. Closer inspection showed that it had been opened at one point.
    That's hilarious. It's the pawn shop on Westheimer, right? They have some decent games from time to time (got a Dreamcast there). Also got a boxed NES Ninja Gaiden there with all original inserts. Wow, that's so weird. (sorry to sidebar, folks)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango
    Cambot and Damaramu:

I live less than 5 minutes from this pawn shop, almost literally around the corner. I'll swing by there tomorrow to see if they have it. The guys there are nice and are buddies with a guy I know. I wonder if that X-Box sold?
    Sorry to double-post, but I hope you give that poor SNES a happy new life. I feel sorry to see it in such poor shape, but I already have two in my home. My fiancée would start throwing stuff out the window if I brought that little mutant into our house. Then I'd have a whole list of consoles to add to this thread!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkn55
    You'll need security bits, not Torx. Torx is a completely differrent animal. It is used to take apart xboxes. Plus, security bits are not something you'll find at home depot or fry's for that matter. You'll most likely have to order online. I have bought a couple sets from ebay and they work just fine. Just because something comes from Taiwan, doesn't mean its junk.

I usually open up consoles for a different reason but I'll clean it if its dirty. Canned air usually does the trick.
    You're right about Home Depot not having them, went last night and came home empty handed. I'll make some phone calls to some of the larger hardware stores and then resort to online if I can't find anything locally. I'm not worried about most systems that I have, they all function just fine. I just think after reading all this stuff that I should pop them open to take a look and at the very least give them a good internal cleaning. I've gone through all my toaster NES a few times and haven't found anything horrific yet so I am hoping to keep up with the good luck. Thanks for the security bit advice. Oh, and if someone does save that SNES, can we get some before and after pics?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that genesis I wrote about was from ebay -- i won an auction for lot of genesis systems I forgot how many (between 13 -17 ) - 2 didn't work, all were dirty, and one was the way I described - that smell that hit me is still perfectly remembered by my brain - the shock of it is what must have burned the memory in - I get sick thinking about it.

that was the worst case in my experience - I don't think anything else will beat it for me - and it has kind of desensitized me from nasty systems - in addition to that genesis - I got another model 2 genesis from ebay (and games) that were super greasy (as if they rested near a fryer in a diner or something) -- I also received a model 2 sega saturn that had a live spider (and one dead spider) in it with webs (spider was one of the less scary (booger colored ) looking ones -- other bad systems were just plain dirty with caked on dust w crud
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

edit for above post

Forgot to mention the first system I got that was nasty inside

I purchased a model 2 sega saturn from a dirty and greasy looking kid for $10 at a gamestop (they wouldnt buy it so i made an offer). The outside looked pretty good, the controller on the other hand did not - it was taped together. The controller and the look of the kid is what made me open it to see how clean the inside was - it was filthy - huge dust balls - animal hair balls - and plain animal hair. That was a good lesson - I open everything now! - thankfully
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, and if someone does save that SNES, can we get some before and after pics?
    I second this. I love before and after pics, especially for something like this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I didn't mention this, But last week I bought a NES for $3 last week, And guess what was weird with it?

It had 3 types of screws holding it together (One wich is a security screw) And part of the case was melted by a soldering iron. It was only in one spot, though, So I figured I may aswell buy it. I haven't tested it yet, But I'm fixing the case.

While this may not be the worst condition NES that I will ever see, It sure seems interesting.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seeing that "ebay lot" post reminded me of my Genesis Ebay lot.

I won a lot of three Genesis systems and the two Model 1 sysems were ok (both still work and one is the system i region modded and use to this day) but the Model 2 system was another matter.

It had dead bugs in it (not roaches or spiders) but the part that reallt bummed me out was that the shielding on the inside was rusted all to hell. I know the system powered up, but i don't think i was ever able to get it to work...either the cart port was nasty or i didnt have any Genesis 2 AV connectors.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I spent several days de-smoking and de-mildewing the one and only Bally Astrocade I have ever come across. That's the only reason I didn't simply pitch it.

I couldn't believe how much stench that machine generated. I left it out in the sun for a day, to air out and have the odor sunbaked out. Then I wiped the outside off with soapy water, then windex, then alcohol. THEN I put it in the garage for a few days, and after all of that, even with absolutely no air circulation in the garage, it managed to stink up the garage to nauseating levels. There was no way I would bring it in the house like that.

So I took the machine completely apart. First of all, whoever engineered the Astrocade should be ashamed of themselves. The "a series of afterthoughts" layout of the circuitry and internals is just pitiful. I've never seen a more poorly designed bit of electronics.

Anyway, now that I had everything reduced to the smallest components, I took all of the casing and plastic parts, and gave them a full bubble bath..in the bathtub and everything! The water was a vile yellow/brown shortly, so I repeated the process. Then I followed with more alcohol, then windex, then Pledge. THEN I let the plastic air out for a few weeks, in the garage. You could still smell it, even after all of those steps.

And the guts? I wasn't thinking about the age of the boards, and so as I went around wiping down everything with alcohol, I eventually noticed the board was feeling stickier and stickier. Then the light clicked on, and I realized I was dissolving shellac on that old board! Luckily I had stopped in time, but I could have easily ruined what I had worked so hard for.

Anyway, that's by far the nastiest thing I've ever had.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

how much bad luck does everyone else have ? I have literally something like 22 PSX systems, 5 PSones, 4 Dreamcast and countless genesis systems and at least 2 of most every other system..... and have never found any bugs / weird smells or any of the disgusting ailments you all are talking about... and almost all those systems were bought used/ off ebay ..

I used to complain when my systems would smell like cigarette smoke...sheesh , Ill take that any day over anything you guys have had to deal with