Thread: SNES pass-thru device. Allows NES,FC&SFC

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SNES pass-thru device. Allows NES,FC&SFC

Back in 93 or 94 I remember seeing one of these pass-thru devices that Chips and Bits were selling in their ads in gaming mags. It was supposed to allow your SNES to play NES, Fami, SNES and SuperFami carts. The SNES and SuperFami play is understandable. You don't even need a pass-thru for that. However the NES and Fami play is what I am most interested in. Is this even possible? Perhaps it was more than a pass-thru? It was so long ago I can't recall whether the devise had a selector switch or how many slots it had. (I'm assuming 2 - 3) It wasn't a big deal to me at the time but, now I find that I would really like to have one of these. I've done some searching on the net for simular devises but, they came up dry. Does anyone have an information about this type of devise?

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only accessory that I know of which allows you play NES, FC, and SFC games on your SNES is a Tri-Star/Super 8. It has 3 slots. GameDeals.ca was selling one, if your interested ask them about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Default Re: SNES pass-thru device. Allows NES,FC&SFC

It doesn't use a pass-through for Famicom / NES, instead there is an NoaC (NES on a Chip) inside, then it basically just uses the SNES for video output, power, and controller input. You get around the same NES compatibility as your standard Famiclone. (you know, what some of you people call the Generation NEX)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Oh, and yeah, it's a Tri-star / Super8, be prepared to pay $50-$150 on eBay, it all depends on the starting bid honestly.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys It was bugging me for quite awhile. I faintly recall Super8 in the text in the ad I saw, although I could be wrong. $50 or less I could handle , but $150? No way. I'd rather buy a NEX. Other than that I guess I'm back to hunting launch NES games for a fami adapter. Now where did I put that digital scale?

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    It doesn't use a pass-through for Famicom / NES, instead there is an NoaC (NES on a Chip) inside, then it basically just uses the SNES for video output, power, and controller input. You get around the same NES compatibility as your standard Famiclone. (you know, what some of you people call the Generation NEX)
    I have a Super 8, and I have yet to come across a game that is incompatible with it. I have played several carts on my Super 8 that were confirmed to be non-working on the NEX, such as Adventures of Dino Riki and Castlevania III.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor
    I have a Super 8, and I have yet to come across a game that is incompatible with it. I have played several carts on my Super 8 that were confirmed to be non-working on the NEX, such as Adventures of Dino Riki and Castlevania III.
    It's still an NoaC in there, the chip looks like a maltese cross actually.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor
    It's still an NoaC in there, the chip looks like a maltese cross actually.
    Not saying I don't believe you, but I actually got rid of my NES because the Super 8 was way more reliable and has better video output than a top-loader! I got mine from a guy on Yahoo auctions who had some NOS and was selling them for $25 or $30 each, but that was years ago.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, forgot to mention, the Tri-Star is a different device that lets you play NES/FC/SNES carts onthe N64. It is also a piece of crap and you should avoid it!

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Super 8 was sometimes called the Tristar as well. The one for the N64 is called the Tristar 64 but it is indeed pretty shitty, especially in the compatibility department.

As for compatibility with Famicom-on-a-chip architectures, that definitely does seem to vary. There must be multiple versions. The Tristar 64 actually has worse Famicom compatibility than most Famiclones (and don't even get me started on its horrible SNES compatbility). However, I have another Famiclone (the type built into a Dreamcast look-alike controller) that plays Castlevania III just fine, though I haven't tried Dino Riki, the Koei games or any of the other five or six non-compatible games out of 600 that people alwasy bring up. Ths one also doesn't have the video striping thing that some people complain about with Famiclones, though it does have about the same audio quality.

The Super 8 could be cool, but it's a shame that it's so big. It could just as easily truly be the size of a passthrough adapter, which would be pretty cool. It's nice that it allows you to use NES as well as Famicom games with no need for an adapter, though. Also good to hear that it has an above-average Famicom-on-a-chip.

...word is bondage...