Thread: double dragon "4" and other beat 'em ups hacks/mod

Banana (Level 7) pragmatic insanester's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default double dragon "4" and other beat 'em ups hacks/mod

i heard from a customer at my job today who is a somewhat beat 'em up enthusiast that there was a quality rom hack of target renegade that was dubbed "double dragon 4". i've seen the amazing final fight 3 hack (not sure of what it used to be, but impressive none-the-less). can someone fill me in?

also, anyone else know of beat 'em up hacks of a lesser scale? like Mario Dragon, Wilford Brimley Battle, etc.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

"Double Dragon 4" was apparently a bootleg cart of all things.

And that Final Fight 3 bootleg has music from Mighty Final Fight, so who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What system is the FF3 hack for? I tried doing a Google search, but all I could find info on was the SNES game.

And if my memory serves me correctly, if someone actually made Target Renegade into a fun game, they deserve some sort of award.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There's a vast number of mods for Beats of Rage if you're looking for customized beat 'em ups.

http://www.borgeneration.com/mods.shtml
    http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/cmods.htm
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Koch
    What system is the FF3 hack for? I tried doing a Google search, but all I could find info on was the SNES game.

And if my memory serves me correctly, if someone actually made Target Renegade into a fun game, they deserve some sort of award.
    Final Fight 3 is a hack of a NES game... probably Mighty Final Fight (it has the same music and sound effects, but the game doesn't feel the same).

And Target Renegade is exactly the same. Only the title screen is different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    There's a vast number of mods for Beats of Rage if you're looking for customized beat 'em ups.

That place has that "Sailor Moon" mod (my gf will be pleased!)

I wonder if its DC compatible.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs
    That place has that "Sailor Moon" mod (my gf will be pleased!)

I wonder if its DC compatible.
    Actually here's where you want to go for that...

http://www.sailorvgame.org/kungpow/smplus.htm

It works fine on the Dreamcast, there you can find ready to burn selfbooting .CDI files. However there is still a problem with the unlockable bonus when you complete the game. I'm involved with the development of that series and have had some issues with the lead developer. I haven't heard from him in a couple weeks but am going to contact him soon to see if the problems have been resolved. (there's also one missing background on one non-critical screen, you wouldn't notice it unless you knew it was supposed to be there) He released a bunch of different versions at different development stages (much to my displeasure) without doing even basic testing - so there could be any number of nonworking versions on other sites. The only place you can be sure to get the latest one (and they are fixed and updated quietly) is at the site above.

I'll e-mail him later today and get back to posting here after I know what's going on. Once it had a "final" release for the Dreamcast then I was going to make a thread for it here in Classic Gaming. My girlfriend does the voice work for Makoto Kino / Sailor Jupiter and Luna (black cat) and for this specific game I picked up the VA stuff for Artemis (white cat) which looks like I'll be doing from now on as well.

I have my own issues with the voice acting work - not with the VA's since they're all fine, but with how the script was structured and how the project lead (dis)orginized things by not giving people the proper information about the audio recording. Instead of doing it all in one session each, then one day for rerecords, and another for additions later on... He slowly gave out "I need this, I need that" over a course of months, and blindly lead most people into their lines with no show of context. There are other things I didn't agree with (some which lost us, in my opinion, the best VA we had - and in all my years of dubbing, one of the best I've ever heard) but I hope to get those under control by the time the next game in the series is released. Shouldn't be a problem since going against my common sense advice conerning some of these things made this mod a lot more of a hassle than it should be. I mean damnit, test crap - do quiet releases - before posting "the game is done, here's the download!" and having it not even work for awhile due to simple mistakes.

Should also be glad I had him rework some things, the difficulty was brutal for newcomers to the genre to start out with. Now there's a nice balance so players of varying skill levels should be able to at least progress fairly far together.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info.

I'm not much for the show/series actually but i needs my beat 'em up fix.

My GF loves the show, so here's hoping i can get her into playing the game too.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

I know i'm going to get punched in the face for this one... but i've downloaded a few of those and most of em are in .pak format...what format is that exactly? and are all of them dc ready or is it just a few of them?

Banana (Level 7) pragmatic insanester's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what about NES hacks? you know, basic sprite edits and whatnot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256

I know i'm going to get punched in the face for this one... but i've downloaded a few of those and most of em are in .pak format...what format is that exactly? and are all of them dc ready or is it just a few of them?
    You're not going to get punched in the face, but you'll find the best information at the DCEmu forums in the BoR section, or at Dreamcast Scene (DCS). This is why I've pushed to have the Dreamcast be the lead release platform for BoR mods, I know the original started as a DOS game, but the modding community sprang up around Dreamcast support.

Since the start of this I've been the rallying cry to have each mod released as a pre-compiled (AND TESTED) .CDI image for the Dreamcast, you burn those with Discjuggler or Alcohol 120%. Once I realized half the mod scene was run by a bunch of 16 year old primadonnas (now that'll get ME punched in the face) I pretty much threw in the towel.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have the DD4 hack on a rom...It's Target Renegade, yeah, Stupid pirates. But can someone tell me more about this FInal Fight hack?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

NES final fight hack is pretty good, i also have a SF2 and MK hack on a famicart somewhere, i might just go through those carts tonight and see what comes up