Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite video game moment?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Your favorite video game moment?

I was thinking about my favorite out-of-game moment recently. This is something related to gaming, but isn't necessarily something you experienced in a game or while playing a game.

Mine is simply this: Seeing the entire NES set up for the first time at Toys 'R' Us.

I had just had a difficult couple of years -- some medical problems -- and the last time I played video games was during the heydeys of the 2600. Seeing this in that store brought back all kinds of really cool memories and I really, really wanted to experience that again.

What's yours?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

I know this may sound weird, but I loved the smell of walking into an arcade - preferrably back in the golden age, and when you could still smoke in most malls.

It always had that cigarette, stale pot smoke (The teens smoking pot in the back rooms - I didn't recognize it until I got older and tried pot for myself), pizza, and ozone smell.

And you always knew if an arcade had your favorite game before you walked in just by listening to the noise before you entered.

God, I miss that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not at all weird! Very cool, as a matter of fact.

My arcade had that smell, too. Perhaps they all did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Favorite Video Game Moment would be Buying my 1st Arcade Game. Its was Mad Planets and I bought it in The early 90s. I still have it and it works when it wants to now. I just remember Lugging it up the stairs, Drinking something strong and playing for hours on end. Mike : )
    Video Game Connection
    ATARI 2600 to NINTENDO Wii
    Ebay User ID : vgc

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, man. Playing Tempest for the first time. You've just finished the first wave and the whole structure just zoooooms at you. Freaky.

Vector graphics games in general and the Vectrx in specific. It's the next game unit I plan to get.
    Dude, they should have seriously put Kissinger and Nixon in their own reality/sit-com show. It would be like the odd couple.

Nixon: Is that chairman Mao on the phone?
    Kissinger: Yes, but you can't speak to him, you're too drunk right now.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy
    I know this may sound weird, but I loved the smell of walking into an arcade - preferrably back in the golden age, and when you could still smoke in most malls.

It always had that cigarette, stale pot smoke (The teens smoking pot in the back rooms - I didn't recognize it until I got older and tried pot for myself), pizza, and ozone smell.

And you always knew if an arcade had your favorite game before you walked in just by listening to the noise before you entered.

God, I miss that.
    Although missing the pot smell (the local owner chain smoked though, kinda close) I get very nostalgic about the arcade scene.

Best arcade memory? Can't help but smile when I hear:

"Don't do it brother! That man is... that man is our..."

oh Art of Fighting 2. You have such bad voice acting!

-AB+
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Getting the trophy in 'Enduro', and picking up the parcel in 'Super Cobra' (both VCS)

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Being about 9-10 years old, and getting all the older kids huddling around me as I ripped the shit out of Discs of Tron. I think I had about 20 people around watching me for nearly half an hour, cheering me on as I nearly tripled the old arcade high score.

That was cool
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Oh just read that correct: out of game moment....

seeing a display of 150 VCS games in one shop in 1984, with no customers interested in VCS anymore, and I purchased one or two games every week, until I exhausted the shop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

...and my CC :-(

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy

God, I miss that.
    Ditto me. Not weird at all my nostalgic friend. I too recall fondly going to Chuck E. Cheese Birthday parties only to be blasted by the aroma of cheese. Then I'd make a head-first dash toward my favorite arcade game the original WORLD HEROES

I have too many favorite memories to post, but many of them include playing games... and then some merely revolves around me and my friends just sitting at the lunch table in grade school discussing the latest hot release.

Innocent, groovy times. And one reason why I returned to SNES this past January... IMO the best games and memories (for me) came with that system.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oooh, this is going to be fun. Here are a couple:

1) When my family got an Inty for Christmas around '82. We all played Poker & Blackjack, Horse Racing and Space Armada together as a family for weeks and weeks. Never had that experience since. Perhaps the Wii will bring that feeling back, who knows...

2) When I got to go to the arcade as a kid - Fantasy Isle in downtown Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. The first floor of the building was a D&D shop, and up a rickety, spiral wraught-iron staircase was the arcade. The walls were molded with something to look like a cave. It was awesome - Frenzy, Venture, Tempest, Frogger, Gyruss - all the classics. They also had $1/hour freeplay occasionally. The arcade in the mall was okay, but Fantasy Isle had atmosphere - I loved that place.

3) In junior high I used to skip lunch hour to go to the computer lab to work on programming Apple ][ games. I made a bunch of arcade games and text adventures. Having that complete freedom of creation was amazing. All those hours with Applesoft Basic and assembler eventually led to my career (and me getting my own Apple 2c in high school).

4) Me and a lot of my friends in college really got into SF2 on the SNES. We played that, Mutant League Football and Mario Kart so much. SO fun, so many tight matches in all those games. Haven't had that much multiplayer fun since (the substances probably helped ^^).

5) I kind of fell out of gaming during the 32-bit era (although the n64 got a lot of multiplayer hours, and I really dug the RE games on ps1). But I got back into gaming BIG time when the DC came out. One of my favorite gaming memories is playing PSO online with a couple of friends all across the country. It really brought back memories of those multiplayer games from my youth, except one friend was in LA, one was in a Chicago suburb, etc. I love that game to death.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For mine, it had to be in the 8th grade.

People were now starting to recognize me as a gamer even though I was not even trying to pull it off.

For my birthday, we went to Family Fun Center, which was and still is a massive arcade here in Omaha. Me and some of my friend played 4 player cyber cycles (i had to check on klov for the name), and I beat them. I can't explain why, but I had beaten my friends at games many, many times before that, but that time felt that much better, and sweeter.

I still can't get that moment out of my head.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

For now, I'm going to say it was getting my 2nd Atari 2600 in 1994. I hadn't laid hands on one for six years prior to that and had pined for one the whole time. Hooking it up to the 13" TV in my little bachelor apartment made for a very happy day.

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges
    For my birthday, we went to Family Fun Center, which was and still is a massive arcade here in Omaha....
    I go past that one whenever I make the pilgrimage to the Gamers store on Dodge street, but I've never stopped in. Do they have any pre-1985 cabs in in decent shape? You're probably too young to remember Gizmo's over at Westroads Mall. That was my stomping grounds circa 1981. That was a classic arcade if ever there was one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

My favorite moment was Phantasy Star Online for the Dreamcast.

This game sums up how awesome the system was.

1. Free to play
    2. 550+ hours spent on it
    3. Free internet services (DC community searched for them)

Spent so many nights, from the ages of 15 to 16, playing that game.

Although it's not the highest quality game ever made, nor my favorite, it's by far the most addictive console game I've ever played.

Anyway, the moment aspect of it:

Waiting for the game to be released after playing the demo on the Sonic Adventure 2 disc (buying the game for the demo), waiting at the store, RUNNING home, setting it up, getting engrossed for hours and hours.

Not since then has a game held me like that, hopefully the new PSU does so, but now I have no free time with a job and school.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i remember when we first got the NES in my house.....i was maybe 3, and i remember playing SMB3, beating it before anyone else in my house....i also remember my uncle coming up as soon as we got Startropics, and just sitting around, playing that til we beat it.....it took us forever, but we eventually beat it....good times

"And shepards we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee. Power from hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patri et Fili Spiritu Sancte"

drwily008: A kodiak bear bent on world domination.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if this is the top favorite of mine but a true highlight of my gaming years was when I discovered Strategy RPG's.

Back when I was more poor than I am now I rented Vandal Hearts for the PS1. I had never played anything like it, and I became so engrossed that I did not return the game until I finished it.. Which cost me about 4 days or so of late fees.

It felt like the developers had designed a game Just For Me! It was so perfectly suited to what appeals to me in gaming. I will always have a special place in my heart for Vandal Hearts.

BTW, this is my first post here, having been a lurker for months. I enjoy the discussions very much.
    No way Jose, hit any key to fight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

We were never a rich family, even though I was an only child. Needless to say when I wanted an SNES I had to pay for half of it. For what seemed like ages I saved my money, putting whatever I had in the same spot, not really counting it.

My favorite moment is the day my parents told me I had enough to buy at last my often dreampt of super nintendo. I was ecstatic, and the day is almost fresh in my mind to this day.

Things are a really big deal when youre 7.

My second favorite moment would have to be seeing Donkey Kong Country in Sears for the first time, it was incredible!
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Playing the cockpit After Burner for the first time. I'll never forget the feeling of the machine tilting around to simulate a real aircraft.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seeing Aero Fighters 2 for the first time in a pizza shop when I was five.

Playing Sonic the Hedgehog for the first time when I was five as well.