Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm now selling that arcade 'thing' at JC Penney

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I'm now selling that arcade 'thing' at JC Penney

So our company has started up a gift section for the holidays. I get a small inquiry from the store manager, "you collect games, right?"
    "Yeah. Mostly the older stuff..."
    "WONDERFUL!"

So I get to work, and there's that multi-game thing that has the Williams and Midway games on it, in the gift section. And because I made the mistake of showing people that I can play a decent game of Robotron and Wizard of Wor, I'm now in the section for the shopping season.

Apart from selling the other electronics, my work consist mostly of showing 5 year-olds how to play Joust and Bubbles, and keeping people from kicking the thing. What I have seen so far:

A Grandma killing the Wizard; and we're talking she was 75 or so and from the old country.
    12-year old girl play Defender for an hour and get steadily better.
    A gentleman swear to me up and down that Defender is the only one that was in the arcade, and the rest are new games (!)
    No one ever finishes a game of Tapper, they just don't get it and play a new game or walk away.
    50% of people ask me where Pac-Man or Space Invaders is on the thing.

I don't go into any schpeil, I just play dumb and don't mention CGE or that I can rattle off who programmed what of the original games. Most wouldn't belive me, anyway.

I make a point of not playing the thing unless asked; I'd rather let the kids play it and get thier parents to buy one.
    Besides, I can take a good 20 minutes on Robotron once I'm warmed up.
    Lick me! LICK ME!!

One of the hopeless idiots that runs SC3; (Southern California Classic Collectors):
    www.sc3videogames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I saw that setup at a JC Penney's while my wife and I were shopping for thermal curtains. I played a bit of it and, sorry to say, thought it was utter crap. Now it could be the display was defective but I tooled around with Timber and the game looked like it was an Atari 7800 release. The graphics were muddy and the colors were off. The joystick felt okay, though but the flat topped buttons were kinda stiff.

Pac-Man (Level 10) theshizzle3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know this is probably unlikely since it is in the store, but do you have any pictures of the system?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM
    I saw that setup at a JC Penney's while my wife and I were shopping for thermal curtains. I played a bit of it and, sorry to say, thought it was utter crap. Now it could be the display was defective but I tooled around with Timber and the game looked like it was an Atari 7800 release. The graphics were muddy and the colors were off. The joystick felt okay, though but the flat topped buttons were kinda stiff.
    That's my position too, mostly. But I've had enough sales experience to never say that in the store.

It is a NES on a chip.
    Lick me! LICK ME!!

One of the hopeless idiots that runs SC3; (Southern California Classic Collectors):
    www.sc3videogames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theshizzle3000
    I know this is probably unlikely since it is in the store, but do you have any pictures of the system?
    It's on the JCP website. Search 'arcade' and it'll show up.

(can't paste a URL for some reason) :/
    Lick me! LICK ME!!

www.sc3videogames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I saw this in the store at my mall the other day. I was shocked, I should go over to play a quick game tomorrow.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

At least now it's getting down to a more reasonable price.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    At least now it's getting down to a more reasonable price.
    Nope, it's still in the "Rather get nut-punched because the pain goes away quicker" stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default nice try, but dam it sucks

While I think it is cool that a company is "attempting" to market arcade machines, I played this at Target last year and it is just plain bad. Coming on a site like this in which everyone has played the originals, you have balls.
    Everything about this product makes me want to buy a "real" arcade, not a fake NOAC. I am sorry to be so harsh, businesses need to hear this stuff before they blow alot of money on good ideas gone bad. Idea #1 HAVE SEVERAL PEOPLE PLAYTEST YOUR ITEM OUTSIDE YOUR COMPANY THAT ARENT PAID OR CONNTECTED TO FAMILY. Idea #2 The money saving ideas that made it to the final stage product shot yourselves in the foot. The monitor is too small, the cabinet(espically no marquee insert)WTF?
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default nice try, but dam it sucks

While I think it is cool that a company is "attempting" to market arcade machines, I played this at Target last year and it is just plain bad. Coming on a site like this in which everyone has played the originals, you have balls.
    Everything about this product makes me want to buy a "real" arcade, not a fake NOAC. I am sorry to be so harsh, businesses need to hear this stuff before they blow alot of money on good ideas gone bad. Idea #1 HAVE SEVERAL PEOPLE PLAYTEST YOUR ITEM OUTSIDE YOUR COMPANY THAT ARENT PAID OR CONNTECTED TO FAMILY. Idea #2 The money saving ideas that made it to the final stage product shot yourselves in the foot. The monitor is too small, the cabinet(espically no marquee insert)WTF?
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That machine was at my local Target about a year ago. It's too bad that it's so expensive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: nice try, but dam it sucks

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist
    Coming on a site like this in which everyone has played the originals, you have balls.
    The Senator from California would like a clarification on this statement.

I don't think you're trying to flame, I just work at JCP, which sells the thing. I know, and prefer the joys of an original Robotron machine. I privatley have the same sentiment as most posters here on DP about this thing.
    Lick me! LICK ME!!

www.sc3videogames.com

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it crap? Yes. It's poorly built, made of the cheapest of the cheap materials, and the emulation is terrible.

But I think most folks who would purchase it (read: nobody who frequents this site) understand that - at least on some level - going in to purchase the thing. And if they don't, then what's the difference? They'll always be happy with it.

Every year at this time (just before the holiday rush) a lot of sporting goods stores get in those crappy "arcade" air-hockey and foosball machines too. Same thing - they're stripped down, cheap imitations of the Real Thing for folks who think "it will be neat to have" and get bored with it inside of 3 months.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Strawberry (Level 2) Mr.collection's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yaeh I saw these at Target then they were at some local disount stores, Marc's + Value City. for $325. Now know that it is a NOAC I might get one when they are even cheaper and playing with it.
    So yes for the average rich stupid person it is the perfect gift and is cheap.
    Feedback
    Don't think of me as a youngn' just a collector that learned his basics from a Pico.
    I just like that tingling feeling in my eyeballs when I play VB.
    I am looking for a Mini Neo Geo 2- slot 13".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I myself work at a JCPenneys (San Antonio, TX) and the first thing I did when I saw this thing was roll my eyes. I don't think we will sell a lot of these. For the money we're asking you can go and buy an Xbox, Midway Arcade Treasures I and II (which have all twelve featured games and then some), and an arcade stick plus money left over to get....oh I don't know....maybe a GameCube?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Oops

Coming on a site like this in which everyone has played the originals, you have balls.
    I am sorry for sounding so confusing, that is what I get for posting late. I dont mean to slam a product that means well, it is just that I am just tired of "retro" products that have been coming out that suck due to cost saving measures. I think that there is a market for quality retro products that dont have to cost a lot. This arcade machine posted here is not one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Default Re: nice try, but dam it sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanriostar
    ...I just work at JCP, which sells the thing. I know, and prefer the joys of an original Robotron machine. I privatley have the same sentiment as most posters here on DP about this thing.
    But hey, I can think of far worse ways to spend a shift in a retail job during the holiday shoppng season than showing the rubes how to play Robotron, so good for you. You got yourself a sweet gig regardless of the relative quality of the product.

I've seen those nice Capcom cabs for sale at Sharper Image and FAO Schwarz in the $3000-$4000 range. I have yet to see one of these low-end models up close, but for some reason I really want to. My local Target stocked them last Christmas but never put one out on display. So they're really running NOACs inside? Ugh! I can forgive almost every other cost-cutting measure in these things except for that .

My first MAME cab was built for $47. Wills and ways, people. Wills and ways...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

strange.

in my Target we sold them last xmas and we took the display model and set it up in the breakroom. honestly the games play fine to me, I didn't even know it was a noac, but for the casual gamer its alot of fun (our cart attendent plays robotron every day at lunch)

I did have one question someone might be able to ask about it, is there a way to get it to save the highscores after its shut off? or does it just not have a battery or something? (never saved anything since day one..i was just wondering if there was a switch or something)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's probably the ugliest thing I have ever seen. I wouldn't have that in my house.

Methinks I'll stick to my rather sexy white Super Neo 29 Candy. And real Neo Geo games. NOAC