Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Official Gears of War Thread

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah ok, tnx. Anyone tried it yet? Online it must be really sweet when u got the whole monitor for yourself. Im not really a fan of splitscreens :\

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler
    I got my collector's edition yesterday, and I couldn't find out why I kept dieing. And then I realized that this was not Prey, and I could not just run up to locusts and pump them full of lead. Now that I know how to play the game, it is much more fun! Great job Epic!
    Stop and pop, broseph.

I'll be taking my break in about an hour to pick up the collectors edition. It's gonna be torture waiting until 9 o' clock to play though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Okay - does anyone, besides me, think the Hammer of Dawn is the coolest weapon ever put in a videogame???

Then we have the chainsaw....

I love this game. This is one of those games, you're like "Just one more level, and I'll quit."

Two levels later, you find yourself saying it again. and so on...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I honestly thought that the chainsaw couldn't do much better than the one in RE4. I was wrong. Gears blows that out of the water.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy
    Okay - does anyone, besides me, think the Hammer of Dawn is the coolest weapon ever put in a videogame???

I love this game. This is one of those games, you're like "Just one more level, and I'll quit."

I haven't played it yet. All the gamestops and eb within a 30 Mile radius had shipment problems gears won't arrive until tomorrow. The wildest weapon I have ever seen in a game is the cerebral bore from the turok series. That one to me is very hard to beat. I often wonder who in the world sat up and thought of that one
    neo geo system

Peach (Level 3) Princess-Isabela's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

finally game arrived today, picked it up this afternoon - its really hard to pass this one, you wont see better looking game for a long time, gameplay is so awesome(its sort of a Resident Evil 4 in a way), music is very atmospheric, strongly recommend to pick this up to anyone!
    this is a killer ap that will sell millions of 360s.
    see you guys on emergence day

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had the collector's edition reserved at EB. Unfortunately, I'm included in the unlucky group of "failed shipments." That kind of double-sucked for me, because I pulled some strings at work (my boss really wasn't happy I could tell) to get the afternoon off just so I could buy and play this game. Bummed out, I went to Target to grab a couple of items I needed, and lo-and-behold, they had Gears (regular). Screw EB. Most every other retailer in town had the game. Why should I wait because they screwed up? I really wanted the collector's, but I just couldn't give EB my money on this one, whether it was their fault or not. So I "settled" on the regular edition, I'm lovin' it, and I'll probably go in to EB tomorrow and get my money back.

I've been burned on too many preorders. I'm pulling all the money I put down on any preorders and putting it towards something useful. EB obviously doesn't want it.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've heard so many good things about this game and it's selling like a WILDFIRE. We had about 20 people where I work today waiting for about 30 minutes for the UPS shipment to get unloaded and checked in as soon as the store opened. All my freaking bastard friends got it today, so I guess I'll be spending like 70 bucks or something for the collector's edition on Friday if I can find one.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy

Wow that is exactly how I feel about it too!
    #vbender

Strawberry (Level 2) sickdrummer420's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    sickdrummer420

Yes I was also one who had the failed shipment from EBGames. I made them give me a refund and I drove to Walmart and found it no problem. As for the game, it rocks ass so far. Im right after the Berserker which kicked so much ass. Wish I had one of them for a pet....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game is superb. Easily the most fun I've had with a game in 2006.

I could keep on writing about it but I wanna keep playing it.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I officially love curbstomping more than the chainsaw. It is soooooo satisfying to hover over your victim as he struggles to stay alive, only to snuff out any chance with the heel of your boot. It is psychologically devastating. It beats "tea bagging" in Halo by tenfold, and its an intentional part of the game--unlike... well, teabags.

Also, I have to point out, I've yet to run into any jerks or poorsports. All of my games have been friendly, cordial, and everybody is simply there, having a good time. I haven't had that experience on Live for sometime. I even got congratulated on a comeback in Execution, when I was the only one left alive in my team, and I snuck up and killed their leader with a chainsaw right behind his two defenders.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked mine up today at circuit city they were giving away free gears faceplates.

My 15% off coupon wouldn't work combined it was either one or the other. The coupon is in the oxm mag issue.

I must say this is one of the prettiest games I have ever played. The level of detail is astounding from the tatoos to the water to the cinematics. I am just getting use to the controls but the aren't too complicated.

Microsoft is playing for keeps. The funny thing is alot of games get released with alot of hype.
    You pick it up the are let down like (oh well) I can honestly say that this is not the case here. Well done.

Well done for being able to produce under pressure and and a toast for being original.

In this world of sequels this is refreshing.

Developers are definately taking notice on this one. The anti has been raised.
    neo geo system

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just saw this article on Eurogamer and thought it might spark a few.

Alain Tascan, general manager for EA Montreal, has revealed that he thinks Xbox 360 title Gears of War has been overrated by reviewers - with one or two, ahem, notable exceptions.

Speaking in a panel discussion at the Montréal Games Summit, Tascan said, "What is Gears of War? I mean Gears of War brings nothing in terms of innovation to the shooter... Like, zero.

"Only two very brave UK-based journalists said, 'You know what, Gears of War is a great game but it's like what Quake was a few years ago.'" Any guesses as to who one of those might be?

"Why are people loving it so much? It's like added production value, incredible cutscenes and the best ever graphics ever. I'm sure it's going to be a great success, I can't wait to play it, but let's face that graphics are still number one," Tascan continued.

He then used the comparison of a nice looking girl you might see in a bar and go up and talk to, "And if she's smart enough, that's the gameplay.

"I'm not talking about my tastes, I'm just saying, when you go to metacritic and you see a 96 for Gears of War, then you read the critics saying, 'Okay, storyline - there's none, gameplay is not innovative...' Then I say, why did they give this 96? They were blown away by the high quality of the graphics... Myself, I prefer something more creative," Tascan concluded.

After the panel discussion was over, we grabbed Tascan to ask if he was indeed referring to Eurogamer's Gears of War review - and the answer was, "Absolutely, yes. You guys were one of the only people who had the guts to say it." So there you go.
    You know, this is coming from EA, they know a thing or two about non-innovation.

Maybe we should believe 'em.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

Just beat it on Hardcore. Stays difficult throughout...

Only 16 of 49 Acievements, looks like there's room for more playing. I think about half of the achievements or for online play...

The music with the ending credits is a little questionable...I think Cole sings it.

Seems to leave room for a sequel; who woulda' thunk it?

Now let's see how insane insane is...

Later,
    Trebuken

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dtolley
    PSN
    dtolley

I've had the limited edition for a couple days now. The way it sounds, I guess I'm gonna have to open it up and actually play it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Default Re: hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken
    Just beat it on Hardcore. Stays difficult throughout...

Only 16 of 49 Acievements, looks like there's room for more playing. I think about half of the achievements or for online play...

The music with the ending credits is a little questionable...I think Cole sings it.

Seems to leave room for a sequel; who woulda' thunk it?

Now let's see how insane insane is...

Later,
    Trebuken
    Just beat it too. Teriffic ending.

Yes... I defenitely smell a sequel. And I'm jumping the gun and going to try insane too, having just beat casual mode.

I just realized - the music for the main menu reminds me of Alien.

Peach (Level 3) Princess-Isabela's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I beat the game today, it seemed like it lasted for only a couple of hours, extremely short or maybe I was expecting much longer campaign, nevertheless - amazing experience.
    theres no question about the sequel coming out.
    already playing on insane difficulty, 2nd act so far.
    awesome game!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by business
    Just saw this article on Eurogamer and thought it might spark a few.

Alain Tascan, general manager for EA Montreal, has revealed that he thinks Xbox 360 title Gears of War has been overrated by reviewers - with one or two, ahem, notable exceptions.

Speaking in a panel discussion at the Montréal Games Summit, Tascan said, "What is Gears of War? I mean Gears of War brings nothing in terms of innovation to the shooter... Like, zero.

"Only two very brave UK-based journalists said, 'You know what, Gears of War is a great game but it's like what Quake was a few years ago.'" Any guesses as to who one of those might be?

"Why are people loving it so much? It's like added production value, incredible cutscenes and the best ever graphics ever. I'm sure it's going to be a great success, I can't wait to play it, but let's face that graphics are still number one," Tascan continued.

He then used the comparison of a nice looking girl you might see in a bar and go up and talk to, "And if she's smart enough, that's the gameplay.

"I'm not talking about my tastes, I'm just saying, when you go to metacritic and you see a 96 for Gears of War, then you read the critics saying, 'Okay, storyline - there's none, gameplay is not innovative...' Then I say, why did they give this 96? They were blown away by the high quality of the graphics... Myself, I prefer something more creative," Tascan concluded.

After the panel discussion was over, we grabbed Tascan to ask if he was indeed referring to Eurogamer's Gears of War review - and the answer was, "Absolutely, yes. You guys were one of the only people who had the guts to say it." So there you go.
    You know, this is coming from EA, they know a thing or two about non-innovation.

Maybe we should believe 'em.
    I believe at some point along the way you have to give credit where credits due. Sounds to me like a panel full of haters. I believe these same people would never say anything like that about the halo series because gamers will know they are crazy. So pick on that cliffy b production.

What they failed to state is the facts that the gamers don't lie. If the game is a turd the gamers will tell. If a game was over hyped and failed to deliver(Killzone) the gamers will tell.

These same developers that are saying this are the same ones that have to produce and put out something nex gen and they don't have the talent or time.

When your on the top people will want to knock you off. Ea has no street cred. These are the same people that wanted gamers to belive madden 06 was the next great thing with an engine built from scracth
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default how long is the game

I hear that the game offline is short, how many hours?

Anyone want to comment on the multiplayer or online play?

It is good to see MS deliver on an A+ title. I just wonder if the offline game is too short. Either way, I plan to wait and pick it up down the road used. Looks like I will have a game to play on my 360.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist