Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Playing Japanese Xbox 360 games on US system?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by eastx View Post
    1 2 P, it's definitely nice when imports can be played without modification or adaptors. PS3, PSP, and DS games are all currently like that.
    But if you want to play imports on some systems, modifying them is the only option. Actually, the other option is to purchase the import hardware. If you can afford to buy a $400+ Japanese 360 system to do that, then it's not bad for you to do so. Those 2 or 3 good Japan-exclusive games will surely make your $400 additional system investment worthwhile.
    First, I pay $200 for my Xbox 360 Japan and I pay $64 for Raiden Fighters Aces.

Second, Raiden Fighters, Raiden Fighters 2 and Raiden Fighters PCB cost is well over $500 and then the equipments to play — supergun/moniter or cabinet… those cost are for much more than the price of import console.

Third, Ketsui PCB is $800+ for a bare kit, a complete kit is $1500. Ketsui will be on the 360 for a price of $70~ and will offer additions that are not on PCB. NOTE that Ketsui can ONLY be play on arcade. Emulation in MAME will not happen for years if at all…

My investment is worth it for me and I am far from rich fellow.

OF note, I hear horror story for those who modification the Xbox 360 and to go online and have trouble with Microsoft. I am want no trouble .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    EastX
    PSN
    EastX

I'm also sure that there will be more than just 3 good Japan-exclusive games in the 360's lifetime, but that wasn't really my point. Of course any console purchases will end up being a better value than buying the arcade versions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eastx View Post
    1 2 P, it's definitely nice when imports can be played without modification or adaptors. PS3, PSP, and DS games are all currently like that.
    But if you want to play imports on some systems, modifying them is the only option. Actually, the other option is to purchase the import hardware. If you can afford to buy a $400+ Japanese 360 system to do that, then it's not bad for you to do so. Those 2 or 3 good Japan-exclusive games will surely make your $400 additional system investment worthwhile.

But if you can play the imports for $40-80 by adding a modchip or a switch or something, it's just a lot more efficient to do the mod. I don't know anyone who adds a mod chip or switch just for fun - we're talking about the specific purpose of enabling imports here (and not piracy, which is of course uncool).
    Sometimes I wish all systems were universal systems like the PSP, DS and 3DO. But unfortunately I doubt that will ever happen. So in the meantime I'll just continue to find tricky non-modding ways to play my import games.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Sometimes I wish all systems were universal systems like the PSP, DS and 3DO. But unfortunately I doubt that will ever happen. So in the meantime I'll just continue to find tricky non-modding ways to play my import games.
    Indeed… as do I.

I start this post to find a way with out mod chip to play Japan 360 softs. No break through in boot disc have happen so I settle for purchase of a console when I find more than one or two game for to play on it.

In the end, everyone is find the way for the best to play import games and in the end, everyone is have enjoyment to play good games from around the world. That is paramount. Everyone is want to play games for good times!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

I'm just curious as to were you found an import 360 for 200 bucks, I take it you found one used.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    Indeed… as do I.

I start this post to find a way with out mod chip to play Japan 360 softs. No break through in boot disc have happen so I settle for purchase of a console when I find more than one or two game for to play on it.

In the end, everyone is find the way for the best to play import games and in the end, everyone is have enjoyment to play good games from around the world. That is paramount. Everyone is want to play games for good times!
    Well said my friend. Well said
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

A majority, if not all portables have been region free (gameboy anyone?). I was absolutely thrilled when a japanese Gameboy Nemesis cart my dad had bought on a trip worked on my US Gameboy. I suppose they figure you'll be taking these things with you when you travel (possibly abroad) and would want to pick up some titles to play.

Niche systems like the 3DO, PC-Engine CD based units? (at least the Turbo Duo), NeoGeo CD, etc etc probably just wanted to sell games no matter what region got the dough in the end... j/p

Modding systems have stemmed from necessity sorta. Not always was protection merely physical or could be easily defeated by a boot disc/cart/swap tricks. Also back in the day people didn't always have the option to buy another console specifically for the purpose of imports whether it be due to system availability or funds.

I remember the early PS1 days. I was overseas and saw it high up on the shelves with a price tag equivalent to 600 US dollars. At that time there was no modless/external way to effortlessly play an import without doing a swap disc trick.

Nowadays we're lucky to have so many more options along with the internet to help finding what we need. So modding isn't always necessary and is a nice option for the purists. However, remember that a modchip isn't always just to make a system region free. Some chips come with other nice features. Personally, If I had only one console I probably wouldn't mod it. Mostly because I'd like to have one complete, boxed system as pure factory stock. However If I have 2 or more of the same unit, sure I'll mod one of them. =)

Last edited by StealthLurker; 04-20-2008 at 11:07 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence View Post
    I'm just curious as to were you found an import 360 for 200 bucks, I take it you found one used.
    6 months ago a new core 360 would be about $220 (not shipped). With the exchange rate now it's about $270.

I've seen used core systems for as low as $140 (again, not shipped). Average for a core seems to run around $180-190...