Thread: Sony: XBL HDTV" a diservice"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Sony: XBL HDTV" a diservice"

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6161261.html

Last night, Microsoft unveiled an ambitious plan to make available a sizeable offering of high-definition movies and television shows on Xbox Live on demand. As is becoming common in the increasingly acrimonious next-gen console war, one side was quick to respond with a scathing criticism of the other's latest move.

"I think they are doing a disservice to their consumer base because they are ignoring all those people who bought the Core system," said Sony Computer Entertainment America PR chief Dave Karraker, referring to the lower-end $299 Xbox 360 system. Said system does not come with the attachable hard drive necessary to store content downloaded off of Xbox Live.

Naturally, SCEA's head spokesman pointed out that both the $499 and $599 models of the PlayStation 3 have hard drives built in. "We would never segregate or shut out any of our consumers from our entertainment experience because they didn't buy the top of the line system," said Karraker. The HDD-equipped premium Xbox 360 costs $399, and the hard drive itself costs $99.99 when bought separately.

The executive also pointed out the fact that 7 gigabytes of the Xbox 360's 20-gigabyte hard drive are taken up by preloaded content, such as the game Hexic, and its operating system. He did not point out the fact that nearly 4GB of said content is deletable. Since only test units have been made available to the press, it is unknown how much of the final retail PS3s' hard drives, which weigh in at 20GB or 60GB, will be taken up by their operating systems and preloaded content.

Microsoft plans on launching its video and movie service on November 22. Sony executives said at its 2006 Gamers Day that the company will eventually tap its vast library of music, video, and movie content to distribute online to PS3s, but they won't say when. "We haven't announced when other entertainment content, beyond games, will be available from the PlayStation Store," said Karraker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

"We would never segregate or shut out any of our consumers from our entertainment experience because they didn't buy the top of the line system"
    Watch out sony, Ill be holding you to that.
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

I'm almost positive they'll be upgrading the 360's HD soon.

Why wouldn't they? With all the stuff about to flood the market place, I sure as hell would... It's a no-brainer they're gonna have to, sooner or later.

Suck there won't be any 1080i/p content....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I think MS should put out that 100 GB HDD soon. Even small HD clips take up alot of space.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joker T
    Yeah I think MS should put out that 100 GB HDD soon. Even small HD clips take up alot of space.
    I agree fully

I wish we could get bigger hard drive for the 360 soon

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

Yeah, this announcement is meaningless without a alarger hard-drive; mine has been full for a year now...I just hate deleting the demos...

100GB isn't going to cut it either if movies are 5GB. Might be able to stream them to and from PC if I could get the 360 to detect my PC...

Later,
    Trebuken

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm excited about this but I agree with you all.....it will be pointless without larger drives.

You gotta love Sony slinging "hate" though. Let's hear Karraker talk about how he and his company keep slinging products that we don't need trying to force the market to a place it's not NEARLY ready to go yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Sony didn't say that you can use hard drives with core 360s! They mentioned that the stand alone hard drive was $99, But the way they said it was like the only way to store content on cores was to use memory cards! (?)

And yes, There Is a new hard drive coming out this year, Or early next. Hey! Perhaps The Pro 360s this year will include the bigger hard drives and core systems will have the 20 gig hard drive! It's possible!

Strawberry (Level 2) sickdrummer420's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    sickdrummer420

OK Sony lets have a chat about your harddrive that was released for the PS2

Also Microsoft are giving people a choice. Some people like to play games only and dont give a shit about live or the downloads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by sickdrummer420

Also Microsoft are giving people a choice. Some people like to play games only and dont give a shit about live or the downloads.
    So true, I work with a person that is like that. He has a memory card instead and it works fine for him.

Seriously though Sony enough. Its about 2 weeks away now how about just STFU and let your system do the talking from now on.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sickdrummer420
    OK Sony lets have a chat about your harddrive that was released for the PS2
    Quoted for truth.

At least with a core xbox360, you can always buy the hard drive later if you think you'll want to take advantage of the download based content.

The ps2 hard drive was supported like the Virtual Boy or 32X. Sony should NOT be throwing stones here.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How much is MS going to charge for a bigger HDD for all of us early adopters? They charge $100 for just 20 gigs of storage, a 100 gig drive is going to be crazy.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll buy a larger HD ONLY if they provide an easy MAC COMPATIBLE way to copy my old stuff over. No Windows only bullshit.

Then I'll buy it. Seeing as most of my fun is had with XBLA games.