Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are there so many bad MAME roms?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Why are there so many bad MAME roms?

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    I've read this entire thread and instead of sitting on my high horse I'll explain this in English...
    Your incredible knack for reiterating the same information that's already been said in a thread but in an way in an arrogant, long-winded, and downright condescending fashion has always amused me. Promise me you'll never change.

On a side note, fuck paying people for warez (even if they disguise the costs as "just for materials" or whatever). That's the lowest of the low. If you're really hard up for a complete MAME set sans-CHDs, shoot me a PM and I'll burn some DVDs off.

Otherwise, shoot me a PM of which games in particular you want and I'd be more than happy to get them your way.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've reading all the solutions here, and seems to be allright. All of them.
    Dealing with MAME roms requires mostly reading the README file with the Emulator, that helps a lot when you don't know a lot about whats going on.
    In my personal case I keep my 0.64 version with all the romset complete. No need to change or upgrade my MAME, but in the past I need to update, erase cfg and hi files, audit roms separately, etc.
    I see some cool solutions here.

Regards.
    Switchstance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Default Re: Why are there so many bad MAME roms?

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx
    On a side note, fuck paying people for warez (even if they disguise the costs as "just for materials" or whatever). That's the lowest of the low. If you're really hard up for a complete MAME set sans-CHDs, shoot me a PM and I'll burn some DVDs off.
    Please oh please send your comments to Lazarus so they can be posted here and we can all have a good laugh.

*bows out of this thread*

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never really had any problem with the MAME burners as far as the "paying for warez" argument goes. They don't seem to be making any sort of profit on the deal, so it's no big deal and it's a great service they offer. Or at least it *WAS* a great service back when very few people had high speed Internet and downloading from newsgroups (which always seemed really complicated for bigger downloads) or IRC (which is supposedly not a good idea as far as security) were the only places to download a complete ROM set. I often considered buying a set of discs from one of those guys, in fact, but just never got around to it. That was then, though, and this now and now nearly everyone has high speed connections and there's bittorrent which is a great source for all your complete MAME ROM set needs including CHDs, samples and even screenshots and artwork.

Oh, one other thing that's really confusing about MAME in addition to the two ROM related problems I mentioned in my previous posts is that there's such a bewildering variety of MAME builds. I suppose this isn't a problem for people with MACs or probbaly Linux either, but for PCs there's got to be dozens of different versions of MAME each with slightly different advantages and disadvantages. When I downloaded my MAME ROM set, I looked into all the versions and for reasons I can't even recall currently, I settled on MAME32-IP. What versions of MAME do all the rest of you use?

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Please oh please send your comments to Lazarus so they can be posted here and we can all have a good laugh.
    Send 'em yourself. You're the one that supports that garbage. I'm strongly against seeing people pay for warez and firmly believe that in a community like this that it shouldn't be a problem at all for a person to invest a little of their own time and money in hooking up other people on the board... especially when you can get a spindle of 100 quality DVD+Rs for $25 and 16x DVD burners are dirt cheap. Postage ain't that much either.

Referring them to someone that charges money is just pathetic and shows how little you actually value the people here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe
    What versions of MAME do all the rest of you use?
    I used to use MAME32Plus! and EK-MAME32. MAME32Plus! had better filtering options and EK-MAME32 was a more up-to-date kaillera-enabled MAME plus it enabled AVI output (which is always a good thing). There's still a few of good MAME builds out there that do both functions, but anymore I pretty much stick with either the vanilla Win32 CLI MAME builds and the EmuLoader frontend or with the vanilla MAME32.

I've dabbled with WolfMAME a bit, too. Fun stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Referring to MAME roms as "warez" shows how little you actually value the people that contribute to the MAME project. You know, people like myself that have donated many times when there was a crunch to buy undumped boards. But oh well, you can win your little flame war. And for the record, the FreeMAMERoms Collective was a MAME World affiliate for many years.

Sorry for all the threadcraps, norkusa.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The conversation about exchanging ROMS here has gotten a little too loose for my comfort. Add some mild flaming, and we're in a lockdown type situation. I think Norkusa got his answer so...

>>clank<<