Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PS3 backwards compatibility issues

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS3 backwards compatibility issues

from IGN.com

Sony may have included the PS2's CPU and GPU with every PlayStation 3 system, but the system still appears to be having some problems with backwards compatibility.

-

We did find a few problem titles by looking through the list. Here's a quick run down.

# Tekken 5: A number of modes don't play background music properly.

# Xenosaga Episode II: The opening movie sometimes stops and sometimes doesn't properly play background music.

# Code Age Commanders: Problems (including data loss) with save game data.

# Radiata Stories: Background music during movie scenes may not play back properly.

# Star Ocean Till the End of Time (includes Directors Cut): Movie scenes may not have proper sound playback.

# Driving Emotion Type-S: BGM may not properly play back during races

# Gran Turismo 4: The screen may freeze following the title demo.

# Hot Shots Golf 3/4: Some sort of problem with the controls becoming unresponsive

# Operator's Side: The game freezes at the logo screen when started up with the Seamic controller

# Onimusha Dawn of Dreams: Screen will occasionally appear 2cm to the right

# Hyper Street Fighter II Anniversary Edition: The screen will not appear correctly in some instances. The S.F.II Movie cannot play properly.

# Megaman X7: There are times when the background music won't play properly

# Devil May Cry: The screen will sometimes freeze during the title demo

# Onimusha: During movie playback, the sound will occasionally stop

# Suikoden III: Cannot read PS1 data during the game.

# Silent Hill 2: When going from the title screen to the demo screen, the screen may freeze

These are the major problems we found looking through the numerous pages for Sega, Namco, Capcom, Square Enix, Sony and Konami.

Some problems, including those for Ace Combat 5, Oz, SOCOM and so forth, were fixed with the System 1.10 update. Sony still lists those problems in the database.

We also noticed a few recurring problems, sometimes based off a common feature, sometimes carried across an entire series of titles. The PS3 Virtual Memory Card specifications do not allow for PS2 games to read PS1 data, which is something that's apparently used in Suikoden III and a few other titles. Most of the microphone-compatible games seem to have problems. Konami's dance/music games seem to have a number of problems.

In addition to the software compatibility issues, Sony has made public the issues that arise due to hardware differences between the platforms, specifically the PS3 not using physical memory cards, not using a multitap, not having rumble built into its controller and other issues related to different hard disk and USB specifications.

As previously announced, you can keep using your PS2 game saves by purchasing a Memory Card Adapter (which is currently harder to find in Japan than actual PS3 units, it seems). Once you have the adapter, you'll be able to transfer your save files to the PS3 hard disk. The only catch is that games whose save icon displays a "No Copy" icon in the PS2 browser cannot have their data copied over.

-

HDMI also gives problems to PS2 games. Sony states that as of 11/11, when the PS3 is connected to your entertainment center using HDMI, PS2 and PS1 games will output only in 2ch digital. When switching to Dolby/DTS modes for PS1 and PS2 games that are compatible with these sound systems, you'll get no sound output. For now, Sony recommends using an optical cable for such titles. This, of course, will require that you go into the settings menu and change the audio output cable.

-

Games that use the hard disk will currently not run. The problem is that the built-in PS3 hard disk cannot currently be used as a PS2 hard disk. We haven't tried it out ourselves, but this means games like Final Fantasy XI and Nobunaga's Ambition Online won't work.

The complete article here: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/745/745439p1.html

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good thing you can update the firmware then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    Good thing you can update the firmware then.
    agreed

although those are a few very popular titles in that very short list freezing up etc. GT4,Devil May Cry,Silent Hill 2, and Onimusha

im sure much of this will be fixed by the second shipment of consoles for both Japan and the U.S. launch.

In fact this all may bode well for the European launch as they may get the more solid PS3 launch consoles by default with more of the bugs and glitches smoothed out.

I feel for the hardcore gamers out there that may shell out buku $$$ for their shiny new PS3 here in the U.S. and then try to play a AAA PS2 game like Gran Turismo 4 on it only to have it freeze on them right after the intro vid.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Add to the list, PS3 does not support the Guitar Hero controller and you can't hot swap either.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Didnt GT4 have its own issues even on PS2 also? I've heard someone had problems running it.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I dunno. I always wonder what the HUGE deal is about backward compatability. The main focus of the system is to play the current games. I'd think that most of the people getting a PS3 already have a PS2.

I'm sure that Sony will iron most of those problems out, though. It's a pretty substantial list.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ACK! It freezes on SH2? This will not do!

Yet, this firmware will hopefully fix it.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    I dunno. I always wonder what the HUGE deal is about backward compatability. The main focus of the system is to play the current games. I'd think that most of the people getting a PS3 already have a PS2.

I'm sure that Sony will iron most of those problems out, though. It's a pretty substantial list.
    I was just thinking the same thing actually. Its cool to have backward compability of course, but since i got my PS2 i've used it maybe 10-15 times tops with PSX games. I dont buy a PS3 to play PS2 and PSX game, same as i dont buy a Wii to play Super Mario Bros 1.

Its always been like this tho, when a new product comes out there is always some people who look for errors at once. Its kinda sad tho, i mean, looking for erros just to say "boooo, look at <company>, they sux!".

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I will never download a "firmware update" for a console I own. It either works or it doesn't. THAT'S IT.

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Backwards compatibility is mostly used by people who don't want to have a bunch of consoles hooked up in case they get the itch to play an older game. I keep my PS2 connected for use with both PS1 and PS2 games, because my PS1 is old and unreliable.

However, from the looks of things, in the hypothetical situation that I do get a PS3 before hell freezes over (not preordering, not fighting with ebay assholes, just waiting), the PS2 will stay connected... as will all the other consoles I've got connected.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice
    I will never download a "firmware update" for a console I own.
    Why not?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I suppose you never got around to downloading Windows Service Pack 2 either?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I suppose you never got around to downloading Windows Service Pack 2 either?
    Last time I checked, a PC wasn't a console.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

True, but the principle is just the same if something can be fixed, why not fix it? Its like your car break down and you wont take it to the shop for fixing because either it works or it dont.

Reminds me of when i played Titan Quest. That game crashed like 50 times, literary, before i could finish it. I had to delete alot of files from my save folder etc to get past the crashes. Was a pain in the ass. Then patch 1.08 (the first patch) came out. I decided to install it just for fun to see if it fixed the crashing issues i had. So i started to play it again from start with patch 1.08. When i finished it again i had like 0 or 1 crash i think. The difference was amazing.

So if you're going to play Titan Quest now, will you play with v1.0 that crashes alot or will you update it to fix alot of bugs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You would think that they would do a thorough test of popular games before releasing the system. I mean, they are not emulating the PS2, they are using actual hardware to run this stuff. There is no excuse for so many problems.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so all of those problems will be present in the launch systems? that's unacceptable. I want to play guitar hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jebus, you would think with all the bitching that the 360 had flawless BC

It seems some these problems also appear in the slimline consoles,
    at least in some territories, check playstation.com out for more
    info but I know the scph 7000X models have problems running
    games too, maube not a BC problem more so a problem with
    the original hardware.
    zomg I have a sig

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G
    You would think that they would do a thorough test of popular games before releasing the system. I mean, they are not emulating the PS2, they are using actual hardware to run this stuff. There is no excuse for so many problems.
    Actually there is only 1 problem, its playing old Playstation games. Afaik its only the GPU and CPU thats included, not the other hardware. Alot of the games have much ASM code in them so if its not 100% the exact hardware its bound to be some problems. It was like this with PS2 also, it cant play every PSX games. Same with Xbox 360 too, it cant play all Xbox games.

There are well over 1000 PS2 games, dont know how many PSX games, but its alot. Almost all of the games on the list does work, but with some minor problems. This list only contains a handfull of games, what about the rest, do they work?

With all the problems Sony had so far around the production i dont think testing way over 1000 games, each for several of hours, just to see if they run 100% or not on the PS3. These problems can be fixed tho, just give it some time if you really want to play PSX/PS2 on the PS3. I'm assuming you're getting one?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Why not?
    Let me restate that. I will never purchase a console that requires a "firmware update" (yes this means I will never purchase a PS3). A videogame console should not need a firmware update. (now excuse me while I take out my dentures)

Yes I have downloaded Windows updates. That's for a PC. I don't want a videogame console that comes with the same headaches as a PC. It would make infinitely more sense to play games on my PC instead of purchasing the console.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why not?
    Let me restate that. I will never purchase a console that requires a "firmware update" (yes this means I will never purchase a PS3). A videogame console should not need a firmware update. (now excuse me while I take out my dentures)

Yes I have downloaded Windows updates. That's for a PC. I don't want a videogame console that comes with the same headaches as a PC. It would make infinitely more sense to play games on my PC instead of purchasing the console.
    God forbid ever having to wait 6 seconds for a console to download a firmware update and provide you with better features and bug fixes???? The 360 has had MANY numerous firmware updates and they've done nothing but improve as far as I can remember anyhow. It's not a complicated process. The system turns on, tells you to download an update and a few seconds later it reboots and you're good to go.

If you'd rather find something that can't be updated and can leave you with unfixable bugs that by all means....