Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are people tripping out about the zombies in FF12?

Pac-Man (Level 10) theshizzle3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why are people tripping out about the zombies in FF12?

I was playing Final Fantasy 12 the other day and was fighting zombies when all of the sudden one cast protect. I assumed hey everything else in the game does it why not the zombies too.

Well my roommate tripped out when he saw this and started ranting and raving about how zombies cannot cast white magic. He then went on to ask about a thousand other people the same question and they all ranted and raved in the same manner.

Personally I do not care whether they can or not as long as I can still kill them. Does anyone here have a different opinion or some sort of justifications as to why this is happening?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

White mages that became zombies?
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence
    White mages that became zombies?
    Thats exactly what I said!, but these people do not want to hear it. I was even like you guys it is called final FANTASY and they are surprised when things are unrealistic. I mean in theory is the whole game not unrealistic. I don't understand why they are crazy about this one single thing

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is something to rant about? Zombies casting magic?

Could there be anything dorkier to get worked up over?

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs

Man I hate replying to each message, but I totally agree. I mean I just play the game for the hell of it. My roommate is the type the would spend every waking hour trying to create the perfect character.

I wonder if they have lives because personally if I was going to trip out about something as serious as they do I would make sure it was over politics or sports you know....something that really matters.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so you wouldn't have any issues with 20 ft tall drawves, vampires that walk without the fear of the sun?

I guess your friend thinks zombies should be undead creatures with brains. so the notion of them casting magic (which is supposed to require some intelligence, let alone white magic, which is supposed to be holy, which is more or less the complete opposite of zombies) offends the sensiblities of your friend.

short hand...

zombies = unholy

protect = white magic = holy

zombies casting holy magic = wtf!?

frankly I wouldn't have polled a thousand people, but I see the hilarious irony of the whole situation.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that line should be "zombies should be undead creatures WITHOUT brains"

seriously the lack of editing is really messing with my posting...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, there's nothing that says a Zombie can't use white magic. The thing is the effect would be the oppostite to the Zombie, as it is a member of the undead. So, I can see where yer friend is coming from. Not the freaking out, but his point is right.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so you wouldn't have any issues with 20 ft tall drawves, vampires that walk without the fear of the sun?
    its a valid point. there is a tradition of what a zombie is. on the other hand you shouldn't be to restrictive and there can always be variations of a creature.

a zombie casting white magic is odd and breaks a certain tradition and mold that alot of people have about the creature but we have seen this kind of thing before with the recent "running zombies" in the movies. i dunno. your friend has a point but i don't think its anything to get up in arms about. a former white mage turned undead is a good enough explination. for christs sake you have cactus men in that game...well i dunno if there in that one in perticular.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs

My point exactly there is nothing that makes us gamers sound dorkier than topics of discussion such as this. This crap gives gamers a bad rep. Two words for ya. WHO CARES!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I was not trying to create a dorky argument I was just telling a story about how some people need to get out and experience other things besides video games. I just thought it was hilarious, because he would really walk up to people and ask them. I mean let it be your own problem. I was just mad how everyone else made such a big deal out of it as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I can't believe I'm going to respond to this.

By definition, a zombie is an unholy, living dead creature. As such, it should not be able to use white magic. It would bug me seeing that, too.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

By most thoughts, a zombie can't use magic period.

I'm thinking the old stereotype is the kind that can disease or poison you, slow witted, slow in general, etc
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I started reading this thread, I seriously thought that there was a glitch in the game which caused zombies to kill themselves by casting white magic

The way I see it, it's not a problem that the zombies have the ability to use magic - it's the fact that they associated white magic with an unholy creature. I'm a big FF fan, and I've become accustomed to using Phoenix Downs and Cure spells to defeat undead enemies, so it does seem unusual to have a zombie cast white\holy magic onto themselves. I mean, it's like seeing a Fire Element attack using ice spells, or a Kraken being vulnerable to water...

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess he's never seen World of Warcraft's Undead Priest that cast holy and heal party members?
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Magus
    When I started reading this thread, I seriously thought that there was a glitch in the game which caused zombies to kill themselves by casting white magic

The way I see it, it's not a problem that the zombies have the ability to use magic - it's the fact that they associated white magic with an unholy creature. I'm a big FF fan, and I've become accustomed to using Phoenix Downs and Cure spells to defeat undead enemies, so it does seem unusual to have a zombie cast white\holy magic onto themselves. I mean, it's like seeing a Fire Element attack using ice spells, or a Kraken being vulnerable to water...
    It does have a new fighting system that eliminates you from using healing objects on enemies so that why they probably did it as a reminder that. "Hey you cant use phoenix downs on undead!"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's just something about a zombie casting a holy spell that doesn't sit right with me.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

there are some vampires that can walk around in sunlight, but typically only the most powerful vampires can do it, and even then they can only do it for very short periods of time... so these zombies are probably just a smiliar sort of rogue exception to the rule... have these guys never seen Salem's Lot? remember when the king vampire grabbed the cross right out of that guy's hand without getting burned by it? same thing at work here... these zombies are so powerful they can even cast magic that would ordinarily harm them... I don't see what the big deal is about it
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess he's never seen World of Warcraft's Undead Priest that cast holy and heal party members
    yes, but FF has a specific tradition of holy magic/items harming zombies. its a break from the tradition and lore of the series. its like not have chocobos in the game. then again the battle system is diffrent in ffXII so maybe its fitting.

there are some vampires that can walk around in sunlight, but typically only the most powerful vampires can do it, and even then they can only do it for very short periods of time... so these zombies are probably just a smiliar sort of rogue exception to the rule... have these guys never seen Salem's Lot? remember when the king vampire grabbed the cross right out of that guy's hand without getting burned by it? same thing at work here... these zombies are so powerful they can even cast magic that would ordinarily harm them... I don't see what the big deal is about it
    exactlly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript
    I guess he's never seen World of Warcraft's Undead Priest that cast holy and heal party members
    yes, but FF has a specific tradition of holy magic/items harming zombies. its a break from the tradition and lore of the series. its like not have chocobos in the game. then again the battle system is diffrent in ffXII so maybe its fitting.

exactlly
    There have been games without Chocobos before so it seems that this would fly. I mean Square Enix is trying to take things in a completely different direction. I am just surprised this post has recieved so much feedback.