Thread: Dracula X: "Rondo" of Blood's meaning

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dracula X: "Rondo" of Blood's meaning

So I'm sitting in Music class, learning about the differences between Romantic, Classical, Baroque etc. periods in music history. I'm learning all these new definitions, including one, "Rondo". Italian for "round", it defines a piece where the song structure varies but always returns to a main theme. Which got me thinking about Dracula X: Rondo of Blood for the PC Engine Duo. I couldn't think of one specific piece in the game soundtrack that was a true "Rondo", until I realized that the word is used to describe the game itself. You go through the game, following paths that branch off, but eventually return to the main path on your way to Dracula. Just like the structure of a Rondo. Curst, curst cleverness, those Japanese programmers. I'm currently trying to figure out the significance of "Symphony" of the Night, "Nocturne" in the Moonlight, "Harmony" of Dissonance, and White Night "Concerto" with relation to the games. Oh, and lets not forget Virtual On: "Oratorio Tangram" Any ideas, guys?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, ok, NismoDX and I got a few more.

Group effort: Symphony of the Night. A Symphony has several parts. The second section of the first part must be a variation of the first (if the first is in the key of major, the second would be in minor, for example). Just like the structure of the game, with the Reverce Castle and all.

Nismo got this one: Harmony of Dissonance. A harmony is a series of sounds that are pleasing, or notes played simultaneously that complement each other. Much like the structure of HoD: going back and forth between two castles that are juxtaposed, or in Harmony with each other, you might say. And Dissonance is the opposite of Harmony, just as the two castles are in opposite dimensions or something.

I got: Nocturne in the Moonlight. A Nocturne is "an instrumental composition of a pensive, dreamy mood" Perhaps since this is a remix of Symphony, with more non-canon features in it, this counts as a dreamy romp through a title that was released before.

Still working on the rest...any ideas?

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Err.....I'm a music major, and, don't be offended, but....you're reaching. I have a feeling that konami just liked the music theme and stuck with it, not worrying so much about it being significant to the games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, I'd bet that they were aware of the parallels. The Castlevania teamas are pretty with it
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your observations on the parallels between game and music structure in "Rondo of Blood" are interesting.

I suspect that the original "musical" inspiration may have come from Bram Stoker's novel Dracula, where the Count says "Listen to them, the children of the night. What music they make!"

An extract from the novel, courtesy of Project Gutenberg:

I had now an opportunity of observing him, and found him of a very marked physiognomy.

His face was a strong, a very strong, aquiline, with high bridge of the thin nose and peculiarly arched nostrils, with lofty domed forehead, and hair growing scantily round the temples but profusely elsewhere. His eyebrows were very massive, almost meeting over the nose, and with bushy hair that seemed to curl in its own profusion. The mouth, so far as I could see it under the heavy moustache, was fixed and rather cruel-looking, with peculiarly sharp white teeth. These protruded over the lips, whose remarkable ruddiness showed astonishing vitality in a man of his years. For the rest, his ears were pale, and at the tops extremely pointed. The chin was broad and strong, and the cheeks firm though thin. The general effect was one of extraordinary pallor.

Hitherto I had noticed the backs of his hands as they lay on his knees in the firelight, and they had seemed rather white and fine. But seeing them now close to me, I could not but notice that they were rather coarse, broad, with squat fingers. Strange to say, there were hairs in the centre of the palm. The nails were long and fine, and cut to a sharp point. As the Count leaned over me and his hands touched me, I could not repress a shudder. It may have been that his breath was rank, but a horrible feeling of nausea came over me, which, do what I would, I could not conceal.

The Count, evidently noticing it, drew back. And with a grim sort of smile, which showed more than he had yet done his protruberant teeth, sat himself down again on his own side of the fireplace. We were both silent for a while, and as I looked towards the window I saw the first dim streak of the coming dawn. There seemed a strange stillness over everything. But as I listened, I heard as if from down below in the valley the howling of many wolves. The Count's eyes gleamed, and he said.

"Listen to them, the children of the night. What music they make!" Seeing, I suppose, some expression in my face strange to him, he added, "Ah, sir, you dwellers in the city cannot enter into the feelings of the hunter."
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman
    Err.....I'm a music major, and, don't be offended, but....you're reaching. I have a feeling that konami just liked the music theme and stuck with it, not worrying so much about it being significant to the games.
    I agree with this post. Not only is the CV music cool, but the musically inspired names sound cool as well...much better than something as simple as "Castlevania 8" or whatever.

On the topic of music the Dracula X soundtrack (not the in game music, but the official commercial soundtrack) kicks ass. It has the Rondo music, as well as Bloodlines, and X68000 CV music. The X68000's Simons Theme is simply incredible
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I've always enjoyed listening to different variations in the game sof the main theme track "Vampire Killer" myself.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, great excerpt, Bagora. I have Dracula kicking around the house somewhere...makes me want to pick it up and finally read it. Wise, maybe I am reaching, I dunno. I guess from seeing the game titles for so long and finally finding out what they meant, I wanted to find the origin of the titles' names. I still stand by my deductions, though; the music is such a big part of the series that I'm sure it was intentional. I appreciate the varied and insightful thoughts of all who posted so far on this topic, though. Keep em comin if you got em!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, a break down in the meanings of Castlevania titles, this messageboard is truly hardcore, I'll just stick to playing the games though :P
    Games, games and more games