Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Final Fantasy III DS Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The Final Fantasy III DS Thread

Didn't see a topic so I figured I'd make one.

This installment easily has to be my most anticipated one, despite the fact that it's gotten less than stellar reviews.

I got my copy today along with the guide and will post impressions later. But what do you guys think so far (those who have bought it that is).
    Last edited by slip81; 12-09-2006 at 11:17 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It plays near exactly the same as the famicom version. The layout and the secret passages are the same also. Besides the graphical updates, the few changes I've seen are that you start with only one character instead of four.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I picked up the game and guide today as well. I've been waiting for a decent DS RPG for a long time.

From what I've read, the major complaint in the reviews seems to be Square/Enix decision to not utilize the top screen for most of the game. Then the reviewers go on to praise the old-school RPG gameplay and beautiful DS graphics and music...so I'm not really sure what all the bitching is about.

I plan on digging in to the game right after I finish FFXII (+ Gears of War and Call of Duty 3 for that matter).
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will probably be getting this game.

I started playing FF3 a long time ago and never finished it. I figured that the update would be a great chance for me to start over and do this with renewed fervor.

I also have to get FF12, but I may just ask for that for Christmas at this point.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

they botched up character building pretty bad. leveling up used to (on the NES/FC) build stats based on the job you were using at level up. someone apparently thought it would be a good idea to make stats change to a specific set number based on your job and number at any given time.

so if your character spends the first 50 levels of his life training as a mage and you switch to a fighter, all of a sudden he gains the strength of any other level 50 fighter. (and gains loses any other stats)

it takes a lot of fun out of building characters, and kills a lot of replay value. and i can't imagine anything actually positive about the change.

oddly, they made an exception for HP. maybe it was easier to program that way or something.

this alone (so far) makes FF3 DS a big disappointment to me- i don't see any good reason to play it again (on ds) after i beat it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im about 3/4 of the way through it and so far so good. I have only ever played FF6 and FF7 before which i found better than this.

I never played the SF version of FF3 so i can't elaborate on how it compares to the original. One of the biggest differences you will notice compared to other more modern RPG's is the lack of story, the characters are have are practically anonimous. (sp?)

Besides that im really enjoying it! It's as good a remake of a game that you will ever find. I would give it an 8/10

Strawberry (Level 2) Beefy Hits's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked it up and was initally disappointed in it, but it has grown on me.

It's old school, so that means lots of level grinding. I find the bosses to be unfair. Most of the bosses have an attack that hits multiple party members for 3/4 of their hit points. There are also some annoying sections where you have to use a certain job/spell to get past an area or beat a boss which I found to be annoying.
    You don't have to be smart, you don't have to have all the facts, you just have to be confident.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Playing it now. Love it. Best traditional RPG I've played in a while. The graphical overhaul can't be understated. Everything looks cool, the character models are cute as Hell, and enemies look great. I also like how they modernized the script a bit and added more story elements. Now, the four characters have more personality and a bit more of a backstory.

As for there being no reason to play it once you finish, that's only for people with no imagination. I might do what people do for FFTactics and FF5, and do a straight character challenge. That is, make all four people the same class for the entire game, like four monks or four white mages or whatever. Makes it more challenging and interesting.

Anyway, I recommend it. No, the game doesn't really utilize both screens, but neither does your tv. Do you hate all console games? Then don't hold that against FF3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Having never played the original, I am throroughly enjoying FF3. It has been a long time since a truely old-school RPG has been out, and this fills the void. Unlike many RPGs, this game is actually challenging, and even regular enemies can wipe you out if you are not careful. The best thing is that the MP system doesn't give you infinite chances to cure your health, and you cannot replenish it in the dungeon. And you cannot buy revive items as well. It forces you to be strategic and chose your jobs wisely.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Strawberry (Level 2) Beefy Hits's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Beat it just a few days ago. Last boss wasn't as difficult as I expected, but using a Sage and a devout made it a lot easier. FFV, here I come!
    You don't have to be smart, you don't have to have all the facts, you just have to be confident.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got it for Christmas. Been playing it off and on for a few hours. It's pretty fun, but seem a little on the difficult side. Plus I've encountered a few enemies that were in odd locations (I got on the ship and there was some nepto dragon, or something, that hit each of my ~150 HP characters for over 8000 HP damage!)

I'll likely have to resort to GameFAQs for this one - It is pretty fun though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    ...As for there being no reason to play it ... ... might do ... ...make all four people the same class for the entire game, like four monks or four white mages or whatever. Makes it more challenging and interesting.
    this is correct, and I was trying to come up with an explanation of why the old system was more fun, but then I realized there really isn't any good reason to cross train your characters in III. (like there is in V)

so i take back what i said about the system- it's different but no worse, and so far it's just as replayable as the original.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    I got it for Christmas. Been playing it off and on for a few hours. It's pretty fun, but seem a little on the difficult side. Plus I've encountered a few enemies that were in odd locations (I got on the ship and there was some nepto dragon, or something, that hit each of my ~150 HP characters for over 8000 HP damage!)

I'll likely have to resort to GameFAQs for this one - It is pretty fun though.
    Before you get the ship, they baisacly tell you that you'll die if you get on the ship. So I really would'nt call that odd.

I've been playing the game on and off since I got it, so far it's been really enjoyable, but I've found it more easy than hard. It is a great game tho, really is a must have DS game..

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    Before you get the ship, they baisacly tell you that you'll die if you get on the ship.
    Now see, I read that as more of a personal challenge - it made me want to get on the ship even more!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

I'm still early on, and just outside of a huge mountain (that kind of looks like a volcano). I took three steps onto it and got killed. What the? Talk about a lot harder than the early part of the game. I guess its time to level grind while I watch TV. How is that fun? Oh well, good game so far...
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As long as you don't run from enemies, "grinding" is unnecessary. Perhaps your selection of jobs is incorrect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, so far the grind isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I never run away from battles, which helps. The only boss where I've spent a good ammount of time levelling to beat so far was the Salamander in the volcano, and even that was only for like 45 minutes.

My party right now is Red Mage/Thief/Monk/White Mage, and it works pretty well. None of the jobs from the second crystal grabbed my attention, so I'm waiting until I get to the third crystal before I make any major job switches.

I know Red Mages can't use high-end spells, but they are so freaking powerful in the early and middle parts of the game. Not only does he get white and black magic, but he can equip the best weapons and armor. I love dual-wielding two huge swords.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What is the best job selections? Right now I've got two Warriors and two Red Mages. How do you know when you should be switching? I tried going with two Warriors a white mage and a black mage and they were just too weak

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At the start of the game, I was using Black Mage/White Mage/Warrior/varying.

The varying character, I started as a Monk, then a Thief. Later, you need a Scholar, so that is the character I switched it to. After getting the third crystal, I eventually settled on Dark Knight/Monk/Black Mage/White Mage. I would have substituted the Black Mage for a Geomancer, but they just had too low of defence to survive. Also, I had a Dragoon for a while, which makes a certain boss really easy. At the point I am, my choice of Dark Knight and Monk has benefited a lot as they get some really awesome weapons.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

In the beginning, I prefer:

Warrior/Monk, Thief, Red Mage, Red Mage

All 4 classes attack well and you have a good amount of magic to fall back on.