Thread: wipeout longbox w/slip-cover?..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile wipeout longbox w/slip-cover?..

My friend gave me a cr*pload of his old PSX and PS2 games yesterday as he's decided to "weed out" all his last-gen consoles (says his living room entartainment center was looking too cluttered.. his loss.. my gain) and now all he's interested in is his 360. He gave me his "release day" model of the PSX long ago (one of my prized possessions.. everything he owns always looks like new) and several of these PSX games were the longbox editions.

Anyways.. his copy of wipeout looks like brand new (It was a release title wasn't it? Along with Battle Arena Toshinden?) and it's the longbox (cardboard) one with a slipcover as well. I saw it in the DP guide.. but my question is was this the FIRST released way it came? Where in the wipeout "timeline" did it appear? And of course.. how rare is it?

I also got a mint copy of Destruction Derby in the cardboard longbox. Other titles in the longbox PLASTIC cases were:

Battle Arena Toshinden
    Ridge Racer
    ESPN2 Xtreme Games
    PGA Tour 96
    Power Serve 3D Tennis

How many of these were launch titles? Is there any truth to something I read of Sega selling all their Saturn and Sega CD cases to Sony for the PSX launch? I REALLY need some nicer cases for some of my SCD and Saturn games (Snatcher's needed a home for a long time) and ALL of these cases are immaculate. Which of these titles should I toss and use the cases for? Basically.. are they worth anything? I'm thinking the cases alone are worth more to sprucing up my SCD and Saturn collection than the games inside them are. Any SCD and Sat games I'm using them on ARE complete with the back inlays and such.. but some of the cases are very scratched (a couple cracks) and would look a lot nicer in what is essentially.. brand new cases (they're not brittle either).
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've never seen the slipcover Wipeout so that should tell you something. Wipeout was not a launch title. I think all the other ones you have were launch titles, except maybe not Ridge Racer...IIRC that came out very shortly after launch. As far as trading out the cases, might as well. You can always change them back later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I'll be d*mned! I JUST looked inside my latest issue of OPM and here was this articles about Sony's track record with console launches (Seems to be written in order to justify or make excuses for the PS3 launch debacles). Here's a list of the PSX launch titles (stateside.. at least):

Battle Arena Toshinden
    ESPN Extrme Games
    Kileak: The DNA Imperative
    NBA Jam Tournament Edition
    Power Serve 3D Tennis
    The Raiden Project
    Rayman
    Ridge Racer
    Street Fighter: The Movie
    Total Eclipse Turbo
    Twisted Metal
    Warhawk

Pretty unspectacular lineup IMO.. except for BAT,RR & TM. Wow.. I bet my friend blew a wad that day. He doesn't even remeber buying his PSX at launch.. but I do. I had to show him the PSX box with price tag to jog his memory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56 View Post

Anyways.. his copy of wipeout looks like brand new (It was a release title wasn't it? Along with Battle Arena Toshinden?) and it's the longbox (cardboard) one with a slipcover as well. I saw it in the DP guide.. but my question is was this the FIRST released way it came? Where in the wipeout "timeline" did it appear? And of course.. how rare is it?
    Everyone else has said it, but Wipeout was not a launch title. I believe it came out around November '95. All of the launch games came in the Sega styled oversized jewel boxes.

I'm pretty sure it was only released with the slipcover at first, I always figured SCEA didn't think the Designer's Republic (ultra cool) cover art would sell as well as the boring 3d rendered stuff on the slipcover.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hmm no MK3 on that list, could've sworn that was a launch title.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Well if we wanna get really technical about Wipe0ut there were 3 releases to the game. The original Silver cardboard case, then the Silver cardboard case with the purpleish slipcover done to try and remarket the game due to lackluster sales and the fact that the prior cover was a very Japanese style cover (and thus the reason for poor sales they felt), and then the a cardboard case version with the purple cover. The regular case isn't really rare, the only thing thats 'rare' is just that slipcover actually. Those in good condition are pretty uncommon. But since the game itself is pretty common your not looking at some obscene amount of money.

Of the below listed titles that you've got in the Long Jewel cases keep that Power Serve 3D just the way it is. Thats not an easy title to come across.

Launch title lists are a little wonky since some stuff was listed as launch and came out a week or two later, while a few games came out before the system did. But from the looks of it that OPM list looks about right.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

now these old PSX games always got me because of the varieties.

i have Wioeout in a cardboard case, silver lable with the japanes writing on it but the rest of my long boxes are black ABS plastic (Resident Evil, DiscWorld, and Darkstalkers).

why did they feel the need to have such different cases?

oh and hey scorch i havent forgot about you, i know its been a few months since we met, i still think it would be cool to get together and do some gaming. sorry i havent called thing got way out of control but theyre settling down now. i'll PM you my number some time too.

sorry again man i am not trying to avoid you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    Hmm no MK3 on that list, could've sworn that was a launch title.
    Nope, came out early October '95, about a month after launch. Still remember getting mine on the release date

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56 View Post
    Well I'll be d*mned! I JUST looked inside my latest issue of OPM and here was this articles about Sony's track record with console launches (Seems to be written in order to justify or make excuses for the PS3 launch debacles). Here's a list of the PSX launch titles (stateside.. at least):

Battle Arena Toshinden
    ESPN Extrme Games
    Kileak: The DNA Imperative
    NBA Jam Tournament Edition
    Power Serve 3D Tennis
    The Raiden Project
    Rayman
    Ridge Racer
    Street Fighter: The Movie
    Total Eclipse Turbo
    Twisted Metal
    Warhawk

Pretty unspectacular lineup IMO.. except for BAT,RR & TM. Wow.. I bet my friend blew a wad that day. He doesn't even remeber buying his PSX at launch.. but I do. I had to show him the PSX box with price tag to jog his memory.
    Imo...The Raiden Project on the PS was outstanding, as well as Rayman and Warhawk in addition to the 3 titles you mentioned.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    i have Wioeout in a cardboard case, silver lable with the japanes writing on it but the rest of my long boxes are black ABS plastic (Resident Evil, DiscWorld, and Darkstalkers).

why did they feel the need to have such different cases?
    We're not 1000% sure but I think Sony was (1.) toying with production costs and (2.) trying to initally keep things similar to the competition (Saturn/Sega CD) at the time. The 'Ridged' Longbox was originally done to be Sony's unique case style to really differeniate themselves from the competition after they started to burn through the Jeweled (Saturn/Sega CD style) Longboxes. The ridge stayed on the cases in print form for the 3rd Longbox style (cardboard) and even migrated to all cd style cases after the Longbox had gone away just over a year after launch.

However once it was shown that the competitions systems were going downhill fast, not to mention that games (and music on CD's) were starting to step up in popularity across the country they needed to do something to be able to fit more on store shelves so they moved over to the CD style case and never looked back.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

i know why they went ot he CD cases but the others are kinda silly.

some one once told me they were trying to keep it the same general size as VHS tapes so it fit into racks and other orginazers easier