Thread: Any collector of SNES factory sealed games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile Any collector of SNES factory sealed games?

There seem to be a handful of collector of NES sealed games but have not heard of any SNES sealed games collector.

I have just decided to start collecting SNES sealed games.

Care to share some experience or stories about collecting SNES sealed games?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default sealed games

I live in the UK and collect sealed games fro the PAL snes

Nintendo Seal

Arkanoid
    Donkey Kong Country 2
    F-Zero
    Illusion of Time
    Kid Clown in Crazy Chase
    Killer Instinct
    Kirby’s Dream Course
    Pilotwings
    Super International Cricket
    Super Mario All-Stars
    Super Mario World (yellow Box)
    Super Star Wars
    Super Tennis
    Winter Gold
    Zelda, The Legend of

Red Line Seal

Battleclash
    Pebble Beach Gold Links
    Pink Goes To Hollywood

Other Sealed

Alien vs Predator
    Doom
    Fifa ‘98
    Fun ‘N Games
    Midway Arcade Greatest Hits
    NBA Live ‘97
    Power Rangers fighting Edition
    Primal Rage
    Star Trek Deep Space Nine
    Tintin in Tibet
    Toy Story
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is this guy who's called Dr. Brinn who collects sealed SNES games. What i know he has ALOT. He is/was also a member of this board, but he never really posted most afaik.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm not a sealed games collector. However one weekend earlier this year I found these games all sealed in their "greatest hits/million seller format at a flea market:

DKC 2 x2
    Link to the Past
    Mario Kart

I paid $15 or less for each one, and after eBay, made a $150+ profit. Can't remember the exact figure. Most collectors/gamers have several "crazy profit" stories. I don't hunt or use games for profit, but that morning they just fell in my lap and I'd have been dumb to pass them up.

Anyway I do own one sealed game at the moment, and that'd be Magic Boy, but it seems there are tons of sealed copies of this game floating around, and they go for about a measly $10. I haven't opened it yet, but it's pretty cool to know I have 1 sealed game I will eventually get to open and feel as if I were back in 1995 and just had bought the game after a summer of mowed lawns

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I generally tend to purchase sealed/boxed games if the price is right. However I have yet to stumble across a sealed SNES game and that's a good thing I'd supose because I'd be so tempted to open it up, more particularly if it the difference between sealed and boxed wasn't that great and I didn't already own a loose or opened one already. I'm a gamer first, collector second, profiteer last. It's worked out quite nice thus far.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

bid on some sealed SNES games on ebay and you'll find out just how many of us sealed SNES collectors there are... it seems that more people collect for the SNES than for any other system, or at least they pay alot more to do it...
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not going to name names seeing as how they haven't outed themselves already, but at one time I had a fairly substantial sealed SNES collection, and I sold most of it to three or four members on this forum. The rest went on eBay, where they were sufficiently fought over. I think it's one of those things that a number of people are collecting, but few are talking about, for whatever reason.
    Feedback thread here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    bid on some sealed SNES games on ebay and you'll find out just how many of us sealed SNES collectors there are...
    Better idea: search for completed auctions. That way you get the information you want, and keep the money you need!

Also, I recently DID spend a bit on a sealed game. ~$30 for a copy of Metal Combat 2: Falcon's Revenge.

At least it's less than a new game, though!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by sirhansirhan View Post
    I think it's one of those things that a number of people are collecting, but few are talking about, for whatever reason.
    The reason probably is they're trying to keep it on the down low as possible. Like I know many folks who are constantly looking for retro game mags, but don't go around asking for it, in fear they might spread the bug to others. These are the same folks who bide by patiently playing the eBay game.

But, if it's in demand, whether you 'hide it or not'... the bids will always be there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got about a half dozen sealed SNES games. Of which I think Family Dog would be my most prized; simply because I searched forever for a "complete" copy and could never find one. When I finally won a sealed copy on evilBay.. I couldn't bring myself to open it.. no matter how much I wanted to check it out. The one sealed game I regret opening is the original SNES Mechwarrior title.. but I just HAD to play it as I'm a BIG Mechwarrior fan. My other curently sealed SNES games include:

Killer Instinct (So I'm assuming it still has the music CD in it.)
    Mohawk and Headphone Jack (bought years ago from someone here who has a store)
    Norse by Norsewest: The Return of the Lost Vikings
    War 3010: The Revolution

I've got about a dozen others I consider "brand new" because basically.. all I've done is unwrap them. Like someone else said.. I tend to play my games.

$30 !!! for Metal Combat2?!! Holy crap! I picked up a sealed copy of that title AND Battleclash for about $2 each a few years back.. they were everywhere. In fact I just sold my SuperScope a few weeks ago for $20 and threw the both of them in for the heck of it. No wonder the buyer was so happy. I DO remember seeing a guy asking over $100 for a sealed copy of Falcon's Revenge about two years ago.. he came across like he had pure gold on eB.. I thought he was nuts.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh, hell. I would've bought it from ya, Scorch, but the Forums were down then

But this is a case where I was interested in a game because I saw it via emulation and then decided I had to have it, so I didn't really have any previous experience in that market (besides checking completed auctions). Looking back, I really would've been better off getting my GameStop's last 360 Dead or Alive controller, which apparently just got sold.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 12-08-2006 at 02:39 PM. Reason: had an additional thought

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Oh, hell. I would've bought it from ya, Scorch, but the Forums were down then
    Hehe.. yeah.. check it out. I swear.. those two copies had only been opened by me. Quite honestly.. I'm not even sure I got a chance to try them out with the SS.

I've sold quite a bit of my collection while the forums were down (Including my Turbo Duo) and I'm not sure if not being able to alert my fellow DP'ers was a good or a bad thing.. honestly. For me.. the retro-gaming market is in a terrible slump right now. I've been taking BIG losses on about 90% of the stuff I sold. Not having DP'ers in on my auctions saved me the chides and ridicule of trying to sell my stuff for more than most of THEM would pay.. but then again.. most of this stuff went for what they WOULD pay.

Up until about 8 months ago.. most everything I've sold would have fetched 2 to 3 times what they did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh, I did see that auction at the time, and passed up on it 'cuz I wanted a boxed SS. :P I also thought the edges of the boxes looked a bit worn. I guess I could've just asked, right?

In truth, I have more fun playing SS games with a mouse.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

I started to collect them.....Now I only collect loose SNES games..

I just started to sell off my Sealed SNES games..I have some on ebay now and I'm going to list more next week..

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i do know that the sealed earthworm jim i have up on ebay at the moment has the most watchers of any auction i've had for quite a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Oh, I did see that auction at the time, and passed up on it 'cuz I wanted a boxed SS. :P I also thought the edges of the boxes looked a bit worn. I guess I could've just asked, right?

In truth, I have more fun playing SS games with a mouse.
    I ONLY collected them because the two games are "loosely" connected with Mechwarrior (as in some of the terminology and you're shooting at VTs.. "Vertical Tanks"). Quite frankly.. I found them both terrible light gun games. Just curious.. are there ANY quality light gun games for the SNES? There weren't that many.. period.. was there? Not like the Genesis had. I DO KNOW that there was a Konami Lethal Enforcers game released with a Justifier.. but that's all I know of.

If I wanna' play gun games it's either FMV titles on my 3DO (Mad Dog and such) or Snatcher on my SCD. OH yeah.. HotD on the Dreamcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

There used to be a HUGE thread somewhere on DP about how to detect SNES reseals...all the sealed SNES collectors came out of the woodwork on that one...

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pooch View Post
    There seem to be a handful of collector of NES sealed games but have not heard of any SNES sealed games collector.

I have just decided to start collecting SNES sealed games.

Care to share some experience or stories about collecting SNES sealed games?
    I have a few. Used to have more but have had to sell some to keep the nes purchases going.

There's a lot of cool sealed snes to collect but its just not what I want to do with my money right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56 View Post
    I ONLY collected them because the two games are "loosely" connected with Mechwarrior (as in some of the terminology and you're shooting at VTs.. "Vertical Tanks"). Quite frankly.. I found them both terrible light gun games. Just curious.. are there ANY quality light gun games for the SNES? There weren't that many.. period.. was there? Not like the Genesis had. I DO KNOW that there was a Konami Lethal Enforcers game released with a Justifier.. but that's all I know of.

If I wanna' play gun games it's either FMV titles on my 3DO (Mad Dog and such) or Snatcher on my SCD. OH yeah.. HotD on the Dreamcast.
    If you don't find the Metal Combat games fun, well, there really isn't much I can say to you that would convince you otherwise.

There's Bazooka Blitzkrieg and Yoshi's Safari, but I find them to be somewhat lower quality than the MC games. Still, try them out. Blitzkrieg is basically an old-fashioned level-based lightgun shooter.

Perhaps it's just me, but I can name more SNES lightgun games than Genesis ones.