Thread: Atari 10-in1 Joystick

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Atari 10-in1 Joystick

Has anyone bought this item yet or have any thoughts upon it?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember reading about it in the Avon catalog before Christmas. I didn't know they retailed it in any stores.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Gamestop in my mall has them in stock.. They retail for something crazy like $29.99.. I hear it's cool ecept for KABOOM!
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have seen them at the Gamestop near me as well.

Kaboom! with a joystick???? Idiots!!!
    GET OUT OF THE WALLS CHEATER!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Yeah, it's in my local Babagges. Kaboom! needs a paddle, pain enough playing Kaboom! with the gamepad in Anthology.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I hear tale that Adventure had been hacked and altered before its inclusion in the 10 in 1 set.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have one but i don't like the fact it needs to have batteries.
    Sorry Ryan, but your girlfriend is in another school.

Video games & manga (my manga scanlation group that scanlates video game manga) http://www.north101.net/Chara/vgm/index.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Does it hook up to your TV? What kind of batteries does it require?

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

30 bucks!! The gamestop by in my mall had them for $10.00. Either way, I don't see it as worth the money.
    Looking to sell a videogame magazine collection of 200(+) magazines, 60 cents each, send me a PM if you're interested!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it hooks up threw the A/V port
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

actually there are two different atari 10 in 1 things on the market right now. theres the jaks pacific one that looks like a thicked based classic atari controller and then theres the activision one thats shaped like a bulky snes controller. in any case you have to play kaboom on a D pad.
    ________
    Honda Vf1000F
    Last edited by christianscott27; 03-23-2011 at 02:45 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello,

I write a syndicated newspaper column for Knight-Ridder, and here is my review of the product. Enjoy!

THE FUN IS BACK - Atari 10-In-1 Games
    by JAKKS Pacific, Inc. Under license from Infogrames

The recently released retro Atari 10-in-1 Games by JAKKS Pacific under license by Infogrames is a wonder of technology. While videogame consoles are notorious for being behemoths, this little jewel astounds with proof-positive that technology marches forward.

The original Atari Video Computer System (VCS), later renamed the Atari 2600, was released in 1977 and sold a whopping 25 million units. The console itself, like most consumer electronic devices that connect to a television, was big. Roughly the size of today’s standard DVD player, the original Atari unit really compromised real estate in the home entertainment system. Enter the Atari 10-in-1. This unit has been stripped down to the basics to promote portability and a friendly retail price.

Originally the Atari VCS came packaged with two joystick controllers, two paddle controllers, an AC power adaptor, an RF TV switchbox, the Atari unit itself, and some additional cables to boot. The new unit by JAKKS Pacific is a single joystick controller with all the electronics of the console housed within. One plug-and-play cable extrudes from the back that easily connects to TV or VCR inputs. Forget all the other components because the entire package has been squeezed into the replica Atari CX-40 joystick.

The power supply has been replaced with four AA size batteries. All the switches for choosing games have been minimized to four tiny buttons located in the front face of the device. Games once requiring the paddle controller such as Pong, Breakout, and Circus Atari have been reprogrammed to work with the standard controller. Even the cartridge slot has been dropped and the games themselves are completely self-contained within the joystick unit. That’s right, ten games are included and they encompass a wide variety of classic Atari hits: Adventure, Asteroids, Breakout, Centipede, Circus Atari, Gravitar, Missile Command, Pong, Real Sports Volleyball, and Yar’s Revenge.

Sound too good to be true? Well, the Atari 10-in-1 does have a few drawbacks. Sound being one of them. While the Atari unit was never famous for anything more than simple bleeps and blips, regular vintage players will recognize that the audio has been slightly altered. Also, a few colors within the games have been misrepresented, so those looking for Grindle (the green dragon in Adventure) will now find a purple imposter. Nevertheless, the casual player that has not played Atari since the early eighties will never notice the discrepancies.

The lack of a cartridge slot translates into no room for expansion. You get the games that are included, and never an opportunity to add more titles. The joystick is the entire package, so if a user is particularly tough on controllers and manages to break the unit, the entire product would need to be replaced. Additionally, paddle games were made for use with paddle controllers for a reason, and playing them with the standard joystick, although still fun, doesn’t accurately emulate the original experience.

Want to get really picky? Well, the included game Adventure is famous for being the first videogame in history to contain an ‘Easter Egg.’ That is, a secret programmed into the game that is not advertised. The original Adventure author, like many Atari programmers at the time, felt that he deserved credit for his work, similar to an author’s byline or a painter’s signature. He programmed a secret room in the game unknown to Atari management that was accessible by locating an invisible ‘dot’ in the game. Incredibly, the secret ‘dot’ is no longer a secret as it is, of all things, glowing! The original undisclosed message spelled out the author’s message, “Created by Warren Robinett.” This message has been replaced with the word “text” implying that a different phrase was intended to be included in the new unit (perhaps a new credit such as Infogrames or JAKKS Pacific) before entering production.

The Atari-10-in-1 certainly cannot rival modern gaming consoles such as the Microsoft X-Box, Nintendo GameCube or Sony Playstation in terms of audio or graphics. However, this little device, with a minimal 128 colors, 128 bytes of RAM, and a single Mhz CPU speed, can easily compete with them in terms of game play. In fact, modern game machines owe quite deal of their design to the original and innovative Atari!

The packaging is simply brilliant in terms of housing the console in a replica of the original Atari CX-40 joystick. The box design, which features the unit hooking directly into a television while surrounded by classic Atari game screens, is quite striking. Anyone viewing the product on a store shelf will immediately recognize and understand the product.

Players of all ages will find the joystick comfortable and easy to operate. The unit seems to be made for heavy use, manufactured with well-molded plastics, and is quite durable.

Keep in mind that an Atari 2600 with 10 games would have cost well over $500 in the unit’s glory days. The current price point of under $25 dollars, with two decades of inflation, is quite the bargain!

While the unit does have some drawbacks, the price and quality of the overall product warrants a certain purchase for any classic gamer or nostalgic game player wishing to endeavor back to the early age of gaming.

Side bar features or mentions to accompany the article.

Also of interest is the Activision 10-in-1 released last year. While similar to the JAKKS Pacific Atari-10-in-1, the Activision equivalent contains games programmed for the Atari 2600 by popular 3rd party developer Activision, and includes such favorites as Pitfall, Freeway, Atlantis, River Raid and six others. Note that the Activision 10-in-1 is not housed within a replica Atari joystick.

The JAKKS Pacific, Inc. Atari 10-In-1 Games and Activision 10-in-1 are available for sale online at www.GoodDealGames.com or at your local Target or Media Play retailers.

Michael Thomasson
    http://www.GoodDealGames.com
    Classic Gaming Interviews, Articles, News, Puzzles, Humor, Online Arcade, Game Publishing, Sales, WGDG Game Radio, Collectors List, Links, Chat, Release Lists, Fan Fiction, Token Museum & more... much more.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of the people I used to work with bought me one for Christmas last year, the avon one. I like it, I leave it hooked up to the tv in the living room and play it whenever im waiting to be picked up or such. Is it worth the $30 probably not, I only play probably 2 or 3 of the games so you could probably get a 2600 and the 3 commons for the smae price. But it is a nice conversation piece sitting ontop of the living room TV. Everybody reconizes (sp) it right away then ask where the atari is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Great article michael!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst
    I hear tale that Adventure had been hacked and altered before its inclusion in the 10 in 1 set.
    I believe all the games were rewritten by scratch and not emulated, but am not sure. Note the bit in Michael's review about the "{Text}" string replacing the secret message. I'm pretty sure that the original BIN wasn't hacked to change that, but rather they forgot to put in replacement text in their recreation; also having a purple dragon replace the original green one is probably some weird oversight, not an intentional hack or change. Dunno though.
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?