Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rarest Japanese PS Game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Rarest Japanese PS Game?

I'm trying to figure out what the rarest Japanese Playstation games are. The Online Rarity Guide says it's Netz Toyota Racing, but even if it was the rarest, it's hardly the most valuable. (It seems to be valued around 1500 Yen)

If rarity equals most money and least information, this one must be it:
    http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m35976045

It's "Bogus Fropon-kun P" and the subtitle reads, "Famitsu takeover version." Aside from this auction, I could find next to nothing about it on the internet. It isn't in the rarity guide either. The above auction link lists it as "Propon-kun" for reasons I don't know. It appears to be a promo game for Famitsu. Has anyone seen or played it and can clarify things?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Von-Zipper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The price is not always a good indicator (look at Radiant Silvergun on SS).

For me, among commercialized games :
    Fuu-un Gokuu Ninden (plateform)
    rockman battle & chase (kart)

it's because I never managed to come up with. that's why rarity is a bit elusive as concept: it depends of many factors; anyway, more than the initial number of printed copies.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

gaiaseed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Von-Zipper View Post
    The price is not always a good indicator (look at Radiant Silvergun on SS).

For me, among commercialized games :
    Fuu-un Gokuu Ninden (plateform)
    rockman battle & chase (kart)

it's because I never managed to come up with. that's why rarity is a bit elusive as concept: it depends of many factors; anyway, more than the initial number of printed copies.
    I agree that price isn't the best indicator (also look at FF7 or Silent Hill on eBay!) but the crazy pricing coupled with the drought of information on the web leads me to believe that it could be a serious rarity.

Regarding Gaiaseed: it's a rare game - probably one of the top five - but I doubt it's number one. Last time I checked there was nothing about it in the rarity guide. Judging from my own experience, I think it should be either R8 or R9.

On a related note, does anyone know where to find data about the release numbers of PS games? I would like to know how many copies of "price inflated" games like Radiant Silvergun and Rakugaki Showtime were released.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On Radiant Silvergun, I think I remember reading somewhere that there were between 60,000 and 90,000 copies produced...as for Japanese PS1 games, though, I couldn't tell you.

As for another game, wasn't there some sort of anime robot-mech type of game that came packaged with a model robot? PS1Expert listed it on eBay for something around $1500...
    World's greatest Internet game store: http://blastedmachines.com

Also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/BlastedMachinesTechShop

Wanted: Any and all Dragon Quest, Lufia/Estpolis, Tales of series, and NIS games, strategy guides, and miscellaneous items. Will pay $$$ or trade well for items I don't already have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Look at Rakugaki Showtime -- always expensive, but not all that rare, really.

There seems to be other non-games for the PS1 that fetch a price as well, I've seen some Yukie Nakama PS1 disc that sells for $200+. Probably just an idol photo game.

Anybody know any Japanese-language PS1 collector sites that might have an authoritative word?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The question is "do you count hibaihin games"?
    If not,I think the rarest japanese PS1 game is KOF98 special edition with Kyo with closed eyes on the front cover(so it's not the common version where Kyo has the eyes opened).

If you count hibaihin,there are a lot of really rare games like the DemoDemo CD,the Gundam promotionnal games,Arc the lad monster game...etc...
    我はアルパなり、オメガなり、最先なり、最後なり、始めなり、終わりなり

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mb7241 View Post
    As for another game, wasn't there some sort of anime robot-mech type of game that came packaged with a model robot? PS1Expert listed it on eBay for something around $1500...
    ZXE-D: Legend of Plasmatlite? Ludicrously expensive, maybe. Overwhelmingly rare, probably not, considering NCS (I think, some import webstore anyway) got ten of them in when it came out.

Gaiaseed probably isn't quite as high up there as some might like to believe. It pops up from time to time, it's just really pricey.

Kitchen Panic? That one doesn't turn up much at all... There's a handful I've never once seen (Bubsy, Return Fire, Maximum Force, Heart of Darkness...) but that may be that they were never actually released...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by djsquarewave View Post
    ZXE-D: Legend of Plasmatlite? Ludicrously expensive, maybe. Overwhelmingly rare, probably not, considering NCS (I think, some import webstore anyway) got ten of them in when it came out.

Gaiaseed probably isn't quite as high up there as some might like to believe. It pops up from time to time, it's just really pricey.

Kitchen Panic? That one doesn't turn up much at all... There's a handful I've never once seen (Bubsy, Return Fire, Maximum Force, Heart of Darkness...) but that may be that they were never actually released...
    Kitchen Panic isn't that rare -- I just bought one on YJA for 2500 yen, and I saw one on eBay recently for around $40. I'm not overly concerned with obis, so it doesn't bother me, but I haven't seen a complete copy available since I started looking a few weeks ago.

Most of the US developed games are uncommon in Japan due to low print runs. Mortal Kombat II is probably the most famous of them, especially since it didn't get a PS release in America. As for the other games you listed, I don't think Bubsy or Heart of Darkness were released at all, Return Fire was only on 3DO and Maximum Force was in arcades but not on PS.

If I had a Jynx think of the things we can do together. She also kisses alot.
    Not to mention her breast plates is obviously hiding something nice
    The of Jynx as a XXX doll pokemon. -Rugal Sizzler

┏┫∵┣┛My Collection┏┫∵┣┛

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I saw Warriors of Fate and Captain Commando for around 12000yen each secondhand behind glass cabinets in Akihabara occasionally last year. And I think there was a Gundam title also highly priced. Maybe they are in the top 10? Your right in its hard to find this sort of information on the net.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a not-for-sale version of Char's Counterattack that I see going for a lot. That might be what you're thinking of.

If I had a Jynx think of the things we can do together. She also kisses alot.
    Not to mention her breast plates is obviously hiding something nice
    The of Jynx as a XXX doll pokemon. -Rugal Sizzler

┏┫∵┣┛My Collection┏┫∵┣┛

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, this rarity guide doesn't seem to be very complete when it comes to Japanese games. Can anyone tell me if I happened to pick up some semi-rareish games in my recent purchases? I'm sure I mostly got a bunch of super common stuff, but some seem a bit uncommon. I'm especially wondering about Startling Odyssey 1: Blue Evolution. I can't find much information on that game anywhere.

My list of games.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Anyone ever see a copy of Snobow Kids Plus for the PS1? I'd pay good money if someone can track me down an original

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the starling odyssey game for PSX (collection only) but I think its a remake of the pc eng version or something theres also part 2 and 3 (which didnt make it to the PSX)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Anyone ever see a copy of Snobow Kids Plus for the PS1? I'd pay good money if someone can track me down an original
    If Yahoo is your thing, then...
    http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g49851855

Though I will admit that's the first time I've seen it up for auction.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Might even be worth going through a middleman for once on this. And yeah I have seen it up for sale once, hence figuring it's not very common!

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

I know Panzer Bandit is one of the rarer ones. Mega man X3 is up there too. I think the Gradius deluxe pack, and the Salamander deluxe pack are kinda rare, but super pricey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantSvgun View Post
    I know Panzer Bandit is one of the rarer ones. Mega man X3 is up there too. I think the Gradius deluxe pack, and the Salamander deluxe pack are kinda rare, but super pricey.
    For whatever reason, all the decent Banpresto-published action games go for ridiculous amounts. Gunnm is another example of this.

RMX3 doesn't turn up much at all. It sold enough to get a PlayStation the Best release, though, so it's probably not terribly rare.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Hmmm, Gunnm got expensive? When did that happen? o_O I bought it about a year ago for around 15-20 dollars.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the starling odyssey game for PSX (collection only) but I think its a remake of the pc eng version or something theres also part 2 and 3 (which didnt make it to the PSX)
    III never made it out anywhere. I & II are on the PC-Engine. Remakes of I, II, and a release of III were scheduled for the PS & Saturn, but only I on the PS was released.

Hmmm, Gunnm got expensive? When did that happen?
    Nah. I had a copy on my FS list for $35 for months and months. I think I finally got rid of it for $25.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list