Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NPD Sales Numbers for PS3, Wii, Xbox 360 for November

LINK:
    http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exere...f5dd917d55.htm

Remarkable:
    - Sony obviously shipped only 200,000 units to the US, not 400,00 as the company claimed.

- Wii sold 476,000, PS3 197,000, and the Xbox 360 511,000.

If the Xbox 360 number is a remarkable success or not it would be interesting to know the sales data for the original Xbox for November 2002 (one year after the system launched). In any case, this time around MS doesn't have to compete with an established system (the PS2) for which killer apps are released.

The big success again was the DS with 900,000 units sold. I never ever thought (and expressed it often on this board before its launch ) that the DS in the US would become so successful and leaves the PSP behind.

I can only shake my head about Sony. I know about the laser chip shortage, but to ship only 200,000 launch units to the most important game market is ridiculous and a sign of an ill-prepared launch.

Already 3 years ago Xbox officials gave interviews stating that Sony never ever will get a headstart for a console launch, and that the next Xbox will at least launch at the same time with the next PS.

It is understandable and rational, albeit risky, to release a console one year later than your biggest competitor as THE market leader with an incredible brand name; but to launch the PS3 in 2006 so ill-prepared when MS follows a very aggressive market strategy with an increased reputation and image? I was very mistrustful when I heard in March this year that Sony gave to one of the biggest developers their PS3 development kit just a couple of weeks ago. Even the launch one year after the Xbox360 seems to be badly planned and rushed.

Sony will be in trouble if there won't be remarkable titles released within the next year after launch. Marketing the PS2 as a DVD player contributed heavily to its success despite the lack of great titles for one year after it was released. Marketing the PS3 as a Blue Ray-disc player won't help the system as much to survive a dearth of outstanding game releases.

Sony is lucky when they sell 400,000 units until Christmas. This is a very bad start for the PS3. In one year, during the next holiday season, we'll know how the console-race went. The cards of the Xbox 360 and also for the Wii as an alternative in light of the PS3-shortage look more and more promising
    Last edited by lendelin; 12-09-2006 at 08:56 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I read that the 360 is a bit behind the amount of sales sold so far compared to the original Xbox. It and the Wii should have a strong holiday.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Funny how they write the topic. Its like "hey, Nintendo outsold Sony 2 to 1 so they are much better". No shit that they outsold them, they had twice as many consoles out for sale.

Insert Coin (Level 0) playgeneration's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This time next year will be the true indication of how the three consoles are doing. I think PS2 and DS will outsell everything else this christmas - lowest prices, easily avaliable, and plenty of great games to choose from

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Note that these data are not complete, and do not include online sales. The real sales charts are going to be up next week.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    Note that these data are not complete, and do not include online sales. The real sales charts are going to be up next week.
    Maybe you know more than I do, but I didn't read anywhere (including various business news sources) that these sales numbers exclude online sales. I think this is highly unlikely given the numbers for the PS2 (660,000) which outsold again this month the 360.

On a brighter side for Sony, the 360 didn't benefit as much frome the PS3-shortage as one would expect (and this despite the hyped anticipation and in the end fantastic sales for Gears of War).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This is the best I can find for November 2002 Xbox sales.

http://www.gamecubicle.com/news-nint...a_november.htm

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    This is the best I can find for November 2002 Xbox sales.

http://www.gamecubicle.com/news-nint...a_november.htm
    Thanks for the link! This means that the 360 does only a bit better than the original Xbox, however, without the big competitor Sony in full strive; which means as I wrote above that the 360 didn't profit so much from the PS3 shortage as someone could expect.

Do gamers hold back for the PS3? Has the 360 reached its potential for the first year? I guess the true test will be the holiday season in one year when the casual gamer crowd decides which system to buy. As with hardcore gamers, the system buy is predominantly image driven.

Interesting constellation: two big boys compete, one in full strive ready to take on the big market and image leader, the other in the starting holes with a sub-par start after a couple of meters. The third done doesn't even try to compete on the same track but stands on the sidelines screaming at the audience "buy me for the casual, short fun gaming experiences."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Then theres this:

btw: there are about 8 Xbox360 systems at my local Walmart,no Wii uuum Wiiss oh forget it, and of course none of those PS3 things whatever the hell they look like IVE never seen one lol.

Dont get me wrong I would LUV to have an Xbox360 over PS3 right now but just dont have the $$$.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922 View Post
    Then theres this:

btw: there are about 8 Xbox360 systems at my local Walmart,no Wii uuum Wiiss oh forget it, and of course none of those PS3 things whatever the hell they look like IVE never seen one lol.

Dont get me wrong I would LUV to have an Xbox360 over PS3 right now but just dont have the $$$.
    Funny how that site shows more sold PS3 consoles that was sold in the stores hehe. Nexgenwars.com is just a generator that adds numbers each minute, its not valid salesnumbers. They even had to change the Wii numbers from like 700k to 400k some weeks ago since it generated too fast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    Funny how that site shows more sold PS3 consoles that was sold in the stores hehe. Nexgenwars.com is just a generator that adds numbers each minute, its not valid salesnumbers. They even had to change the Wii numbers from like 700k to 400k some weeks ago since it generated too fast.
    I could be wrong jajaja but I think those are supposed to be WORLWIDE sells #s

not necessarily actual sale through numbers , or something like that lol.

all in all I think its pretty close to actual worldwide total sales to distributors and what not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As with hardcore gamers, the system buy is predominantly image driven.
    huh??
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922 View Post
    I could be wrong jajaja but I think those are supposed to be WORLWIDE sells #s

not necessarily actual sale through numbers , or something like that lol.

all in all I think its pretty close to actual worldwide total sales to distributors and what not.
    Well.. its hard to say what they are trying to show. Right now it shows 439,231 PS3 consoles sold. USA got 200k or 250k consoles and Japan got like 88k. Even if USA did get 250k or even 300k for that matter, its not even close to the number Nexgenwars.com is showing.

3 min later after i wrote the first number i clicked update and now the PS3 number is upto 439,242. It just adds more and more number, its just a generator. For the real salenumbers wait for official statements, its the only thing that is sure

The Wii numbers are pretty close i'd think. But it would be alot higher if they didnt remove the 300k.
    Last edited by jajaja; 12-13-2006 at 02:57 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    Thanks for the link! This means that the 360 does only a bit better than the original Xbox, however, without the big competitor Sony in full strive; which means as I wrote above that the 360 didn't profit so much from the PS3 shortage as someone could expect.
    I think a better comparison would be 2002 PS1 sales vs Xbox sales against 2006 PS2 sales vs Xbox 360 sales. Someone mentioned the PS2 outsold the 360 in November, so I have to wonder how much the PS1 outsold the Xbox after it's first year (it's not a totally fair comparison either, since the PS2 was out for a year as well, but PS1s definitely kept selling well into the next generation)

The really fun comparisons will come, in my opinion, once all three machines are readily available for purchase. Then we'll know better what people want, as opposed to what are they willing to buy if they can't get what they want?
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end