Thread: Playstation Paddle controller? (NOW: Sega Mark III paddle controller?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Playstation Paddle controller? (NOW: Sega Mark III paddle controller?)

I've been wanting to find one of these things for quite some time, with no luck. It's the Japanese-only one that was used with the game Cutie Q on Namco Museum Vol. 2 (the Japanese version, obviously). I just read recently that Bomb Bee is a hidden game on there (my favorite of the Gee Bee/Bomb Bee/Cutie Q trifecta of early Namco Breakout/Pinball-type games (now there's a niche genre for you! (Ach! Triple parentheses!!))), so I've redoubled my efforts (well, my yearning, anyway) to find this controller.

Anyone know of a place where I could snag one? (When/If my fiancee ever comes home, I could have her contact her otaku network of friends in Japan to get on it for me, but that's up in the air indefinitely.)

Here's a pic:
    Last edited by k8track; 05-23-2007 at 10:55 AM.
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about the controller that comes with some versions of Puchi Carat? I forget if the colour is the same as your pic but it's the same controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A pic of mine -

Though obviously the game itself is PAL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, it looks like the photo I snagged from Wikipedia is that of the Puchi Carat controller. I've seen (but can't find right now) pictures of the Namco one and the design is exactly the same, but with the drab, beige color and Namco logo. I'd be happy with either one. I also just remembered that I have Arkanoid 2000, and I bet it would work with that.

I also just realized that I've got the NeGcon controller (2 of them, actually), and I bet I could use that for those games. Still, I'd love to have the actual special paddle controller.

By the way, anyone know the code/procedure to unlock the hidden Bomb Bee game on the Japanese Namco Museum vol. 2?
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by k8track View Post
    By the way, anyone know the code/procedure to unlock the hidden Bomb Bee game on the Japanese Namco Museum vol. 2?
    Found the code! Took some searching.

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1010746

"At the start menu, select Cutie Q and press Circle 7 times, Square 6 times, X 5 times, and play to your hearts' content."

So there you go, fellow fans of Bomb Bee who happen to have the Japanese version of Namco Museum vol. 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quick update, I did locate one of these things a while back; in fact, it was thanks to Devilman who made me realize how I had to search for it (i.e. the Puchi Carat Limited Edition is the way to go). Ended up getting that for around $20 off eBay, which is well worth the price for the paddle alone.

Puchi Carat, as far as I've played (not that much), is pretty freakin' lame, unless there's more to it and something that I've missed. I have four other games that work with the paddle controller as well.

I've got Arkanoid 2000, which I got as a bootleg back in Ukraine in, well, 2000, and hadn't played it at all, but suddenly I could finally play the heck out of it, tons of fun. It works well with Super Breakout, obviously, from Arcade's Greatest Hits: Atari Collection 1; I had to tweak the analog sensitivity in the configuation menu a bit first. And it works like a real champ for both Cutie Q and Bomb Bee from the Japanese Namco Museum Vol. 2. By the way, I had a heck of a time getting that Bomb Bee code to work, the instructions are slightly vague. The key is to select Cutie Q and let it go through the motions of getting it started, then at the screen where the graphics are scrambled, that's when you quickly enter the code. (I was selecting Cutie Q at the start menu and then immediately entered the code and it never worked.)

Now my obsession has turned to trying to get a Sega Mark III paddle:

I just acquired Woody Pop for the SMS, which is on a MyCard so it will work on a U.S. SMS, but I definitely need the paddle controller (which I hope will work as well). I even took a long shot and hooked up my 2600 paddles, but no dice (any way to mod those so they would work?). I'm obsessed with Woody Pop, but can't play it properly without the paddle. No dice on Ebay; anyone have an extra they'd like to sell or trade? A good Japanese site that would have one for sale? I'm not too worried because when my fiancee returns from Europe (whenever that is), she can contact her network of otaku friends back home in Japan and hopefully score it for me. Still, I'd like to try to find one in the meantime.

The next step after that is trying to get the Mark III system itself so I can play the other Mark III paddle games, especially Megumi Rescue, which I played on my modded Xbox via the Meka emulator, and it was tons of fun. I actually didn't do too poorly using the analog Xbox controller, but the paddle would be the way to go. But one step at a time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r20245613

Not too cheap if you ask me, but it's boxed so that may account for the discrepancy.

http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k46054885

A lot better and with a game no less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fahlim003 View Post
    http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r20245613

Not too cheap if you ask me, but it's boxed so that may account for the discrepancy.

http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k46054885

A lot better and with a game no less.
    Thanks! That's very helpful. I wish my fiancee were here so she could help me with this (I didn't even have the means to search the yahoo Japan auctions by myself, at least not in Japanese). I've signed up with Crescent Shop based on a recommendation in another thread and hopefully they can help me snag it (I'm trying for the second one you posted). Hopefully I can get it! Thanks again.
    Last edited by k8track; 05-29-2007 at 08:57 AM.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

By the way, I had a heck of a time getting that Bomb Bee code to work, the instructions are slightly vague. The key is to select Cutie Q and let it go through the motions of getting it started, then at the screen where the graphics are scrambled, that's when you quickly enter the code. (I was selecting Cutie Q at the start menu and then immediately entered the code and it never worked.)
    Ah...so that's how it works...I had the same problem, I was never able to get that code to work. I eventually gave up. I'll have to try that again. I've wanted a Namco Volume Controller for some time now myself, no luck so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PingvinBlueJeans View Post
    Ah...so that's how it works...I had the same problem, I was never able to get that code to work. I eventually gave up. I'll have to try that again. I've wanted a Namco Volume Controller for some time now myself, no luck so far.
    Your best bet is to snag the Puchi Carat Limited Edition from amazon.co.uk here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...3515965&sr=8-1

As I type this, there are five available. Looks like you're in Denmark? I think they'll ship video games throughout the EU. Don't know why they won't ship to the U.S., but there you have it.

To follow up on my own Sega Mark III paddle post, I decided not to go the Crescent Shop route, as that would have been far too expensive for my blood. I have an ebay saved search for "Sega Paddle" which always turns up tons of false positives... always for listings for Sega Genesis and Saturn lots whose owners refer to joypads as "paddles". Simply baffling.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Your best bet is to snag the Puchi Carat Limited Edition from amazon.co.uk here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...3515965&sr=8-1
    I might pick that up...although I hate to buy it just for the paddle. What exactly is Puchi Carat? Is it any good? I might just ask a Japanese friend to keep any eye out for a Namco paddle...ditto on the Mark III paddle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My quest has come to a wonderful, satisfying end. My fiancée was here in July, then went home to Japan in August, where her otaku video game friend found the Sega Paddle Control, and she promptly shipped it to me (along with some sublime ramen, green tea wafers, and a cool T-shirt)! I immediately plugged it into my SMS and tried to play Woody Pop, and discovered to my chagrin that the controller was not compatible with the American SMS. So the next step was trying to score a Sega Mark III system. The hunt was on.

Two days ago, I finally received that system, thanks to Smork (whom I profusely thanked in the Feedback Forum)! Works perfectly, and I can now play Woody Pop to my heart's content (along with Megumi Rescue, another Mark III paddle game I acquired in the meantime), the way it was meant to be played, with a real paddle control, not a joypad. Very similar to Arkanoid; in fact, I like it better than Arkanoid, which I'm also crazy about. (I basically love any Breakout-type game--heck, any paddle game period.)

It's always satisfying when a long-term goal is finally attained.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Alas, I also have a Mark III paddle now, but still no Namco paddle. Not sure if I care at this point.

I guess that's life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DKTheArcadeRat

If you love paddle games, did you get Arkanoid DS and Space Invaders Extreme for DS? Both can use the paddle that Taito released(was bundled with Japanese version of Arkanoid and sold seperately) in Japan. Whether US version or JPN version the paddle works, and let me tell you it is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    ebay is the only way to price things in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    i was like nice parenting, what are you my therapist, take a walk