Thread: Learning Japanese

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Learning Japanese

I am looking for an easy inexpensive way to learn written Japanese so that I can play the import RPGs that I have. Any suggestions as to a good way. Thanks. JY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would love to be able to do this also.
    Mega Man Games: 3/???
    Xbox Game Count: 15

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly, there isn't any quick and easy way to learn any language. I can give you a few tips, though:

1) Don't learn speaking, reading and writing seprately: learn them all at once and connect them.
    2) Try to connect learning the language to something meaningful in your life. Since you want to play Japanese RPG's, this should already be covered.
    3) Find a college or university Japanese class in your area, or find someone who is fluent in Japanese and ask if they will tutor you. This can be expensive, but it makes learning a two-way experience rather than the one-way experience of learning from a book or CD.
    4) Start small: I suggest starting with playing games aimed at children and working your way up.
    5) Find a dialogue or scene in the game and transcribe it, then figure out what each sentence and character means. Then learn how to speak the scene properly.
    6) Immerse yourself: try to surround yourself with the language as much as possible. Listen to Japanese music, even if you can't yet understand what most of the words mean, just learning to hear the patterns of sounds can be a great help. Likewise, look at Japanese text even if you can't read what it says. It will help you get used to seeing the phonetics and characters.

So, in summary, don't just learn to read Japanese: learn the whole language. If you just learn to read it, learning to speak and write it will actually be more difficult in the future because you will have divorced it from the experience of reading. Also, take your time and be patient. It can take several years to learn any language, especially one that is so far removed from your native one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just downloaded the Rosetta language learning software with Japanese expansion pack. Haven't used it yet but from what everyone says, it's the next best way to learn a language without having to take a class. Apparently, it's what the US government uses to teach languages to military and diplomats, so I guess it's supposed to be good. Might want to look into that.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll tell you this - I took two and a half years of college Japanese with a fantastic professor, and I STILL can't read almost any kanji. If you're going to do this, be prepared for the long haul, and to expend one HELL of a lot of effort. Learning to speak this language is pretty easy, as the grammar is very logical. Learning to read it, though, is an experience akin to the trials of Odyssesus. You're talking about three alphabets. The first two have 22 characters each, so that's a 44 character alphabet compared to the 26 character you're used to. That wasn't so bad. The third alphabet has over 20,000 characters in it, and there is not even one single scholar on earth who knows them all. Welcome to flash card hell. Enjoy your stay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    I just downloaded the Rosetta language learning software with Japanese expansion pack. Haven't used it yet but from what everyone says, it's the next best way to learn a language without having to take a class. Apparently, it's what the US government uses to teach languages to military and diplomats, so I guess it's supposed to be good. Might want to look into that.
    I spent so many years and so many dollars trying to find a learn-at-home program that would work for me. Rosetta Stone is THE SHIT. You'll need supplementary material to really learn script, but for general language it is so far ahead of those other jokers it ain't even funny. Worth the $300. Easy.

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wink

yea let me tell you how, if cant afford a class or tutor atm, its helping alot look a couple of language exchange sites (in your area too) and you can exchange your language (example or any you know) and they may/will teach you japanes. you meet them of course and schedule. Definitely pick up a book like 'Genki' or 'Minna no nihongo'. Finally on the opposite I would probably want to learn the language by watching Drama shows and the news (not really anime as slang words are used) for games and music it depends may want to start with something simple nothing complicated or fast songs. Also check out japanese learning sites and boards such as this thread http://www.outpostnine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6612

To start, 1st get down the kanas. Once you have that you can learn numbers.. Then pick up He, She, They family names etc and use Flash cards so you can start memorizing stuff. Kanji you can pick up along the way too if youd like but Id mainly focus on getting the basic.. Though it also takes along time to learn so you gotta give time.
    Last edited by oceanfr; 12-17-2006 at 09:54 PM.