Thread: A few questions about the Famicom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default A few questions about the Famicom.

I've recently been really intersted in starting to import games for the Famicom. At first I was planning on just getting some kind of converter for my Top Loader, but I figured it be better just to straight out buy a Famicom. Mainly because I wouldn't have to deal with compatability issues, and I could get the Famicom disk system if I really liked importing. Not only that, but it's just a cool thing to have, that none of my friends would ever get :P.

But asking around online I've heard many different things. Anyway are there any compatability issues with the Famicom for a U.S T.V? I've heard that first model Famicoms don't work on U.S televisons. I've also heard something about not being able to play it for long because of the difference in American and Japanese outlets. I'm pretty much asking are there any potiental problems with buying a Famicom system?

Thanks in advance for the help. Also some game suggestions would be nice.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The original 1983 famicom will work on a US tv if you change it to channel 95. The power will work fine on US outlets, but don't switch the famicom outlet with another outlet as you may burn out the system. Also don't leave it plugged in for extended periods of time as it will burn out the power supply.

AV famicom is the best choice IMO as it supports composite output from the same av cables as a GC/n64 and SNES. However, many people prefer the asthetic look of the original famicom--especially if you can aquire one that is not too "yellowed".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 16-bit View Post
    The original 1983 famicom will work on a US tv if you change it to channel 95. The power will work fine on US outlets, but don't switch the famicom outlet with another outlet as you may burn out the system. Also don't leave it plugged in for extended periods of time as it will burn out the power supply.

AV famicom is the best choice IMO as it supports composite output from the same av cables as a GC/n64 and SNES. However, many people prefer the asthetic look of the original famicom--especially if you can aquire one that is not too "yellowed".
    Thanks for the info. That's pretty much all I needed to know. I think I'm going for it. I actually found a lot on eBay that I'm thinking about bidding on. I think the system does support AV cables, but I'm not sure. If it doesn't I'd be perfectly fine with an RF unit. I actually have my NES hooked up with one right now.

Also I'm just curious, would you happen to be the seller 16-Bit on eBay? If so you'll probably get some buisness from me in the future .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I've seen modded famicoms on ebay with the av added.

Still, i feel the famicom av is best choice since it all ready has.... the av on it period.

The other choice of corse is the (sharp twin famicom) you got both in one shell the famicom+fds.

If you want both get the "twin famicom if you wanna save space... then get the famicom av+fds for the most part.

Btw on the famicom av the ac adaptor and av cables are sold seperate.

If you go the famicom av route make sure you have the 'official ac adaptor for it please! Do not use the... nes one or you will burn it out if you do.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 12-20-2006 at 08:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    I've seen modded famicoms on ebay with the av added.

Still, i feel the famicom av is best choice since it all ready has.... the av on it period.

The other choice of corse is the (sharp twin famicom) you got both in one shell the famicom+fds.

If you want both get the "twin famicom if you wanna save space... then get the famicom av+fds for the most part.

Btw on the famicom av the ac adaptor and av cables are sold seperate.

If you go the famicom av route make sure you have the 'official ac adaptor for it please! Do not use the... nes one or you will burn it out if you do.
    I may go that route, I was planning on buying the Famicom disk drive. Since it is AV compatiable can I hook it through a DVD player?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Abman View Post
    I may go that route, I was planning on buying the Famicom disk drive. Since it is AV compatiable can I hook it through a DVD player?
    Yeah you can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by 16-bit View Post
    That's what I had been saying recently, although I haven't had any bad experiences. Glad to see I wasn't just scaremongering :P