Thread: Nintendo needs to remake Super Metroid on DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Nintendo needs to remake Super Metroid on DS

Nintendo definitely needs to remake Super Metroid on DS. It is one of the greatest games of all time, and would actually benefit from a second screen. I can understand why they didn't remake it for GBA, because it needs all the buttons, but the DS has those buttons. It's the only good SNES game that hasn't been remade yet. I want a portable version!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd be all for it if they don't mess it up, but I'd rather see a new 2-D Metroid though, and hopefully less linear than Fusion was.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm tired of remakes, especially ones that are just straight ports. I'd rather see a new Metroid as well.

If I want to play Super Metroid, I own Super Metroid. I can play it. If I want to play Super Metroid on the go, I can put it on my PSP. Either way, I'm covered.

Now, with games like Final Fantasy III, I understand the remake. They overhauled the graphics entirely, and made it all snazzy. That I can appreciate. But I'm happy with Super Metroid the way it is.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A Metroid II remake seems better to me. It's aged the worst out of the entire series, and the extermination angle is ripe for revamping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

Nintendo apparently had another 2D Metroid in the works for the DS and cancelled it after deciding to go with the Prime series instead. I'm a huge huge Super Metroid fan (see my tag ) and personally think the Metroid on DS is too big a depature. Many people said they thought the controls were good once they got use to them--but I just thought they were a mess.

We do need a new 2D Metroid on DS. Just imagine it---wow. A sequel to Fusion with more open ended gameplay would truly rock. Here's hoping...
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I'd rather they try something new and not touch one of the best games ever made. They already did the whole re-make thing with Metroid Zero and that game was horrible.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh it was not. I hate this Barbie-esque art style they've used for it and Fusion, but they made up for that with the awesome suitless part. And the controls. They were nice and smooth, but a large part of me missed the way Super Metroid felt. It felt like Fusion and Zero Mission were normal action figures with stiff limbs, while Super had the articulation of those cool GI Joes that had elbow and knee joints and whatnot.

Barring a much-needed remake of Metroid 2, i wish they'd just leave the series alone for a while. I don't want the series driven into the ground like the MetroidVanias have been. I just don't want Metroid to ever get played out like that.

It's really primed to go into a universe that's as fascinating as Star Wars or whatever ever was, and it's high time to start thinking of what else Samus can do besides drive Metroids to extinction and kick Ridley's ass yet again. Let it percolate for a few more years, then bring it all together for something really new.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Well, I'd buy it.

I can't even find a copy of Super Metroid locally. Hopefully my next trip to madison will change that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mmm. Can you imagine a new 2D Metroid on the DS utilising the system's 3D capabilities in the same subtle yet lovely fashion that New Super Mario Bros did? That would be a dream.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by poieo View Post
    Barring a much-needed remake of Metroid 2, i wish they'd just leave the series alone for a while. I don't want the series driven into the ground like the MetroidVanias have been. I just don't want Metroid to ever get played out like that.
    Agreed wholeheartedly about needing to remake Metroid 2. An expanded and reimagined SR388 has the potential to be an excellent setting with full color, 32-bit 2D graphics. The fact that Samus is so large, the lack of a good map & the ease of getting lost due to the monochrome graphics really hurt the original GameBoy Metroid 2, but the gameplay and scenario have so much potential. I played through it upon its release and actually loved it, but upon revisiting the game, even through the GB Player on a 27" TV, it could definitely use some work. In its day it was one of the best looking and most ambitious GB games though.

I do however disagree with your "Metroidvania" statement. The 2 Sorrow games were quality, with Soma providing a much needed plot booster in Aria and the soul stealing mechanic adding some variety. Portrait of Ruin is the best CV since Symphony. Aside from the anime character artwork, underused dual character system, and afternoon cartoon dialogue, the game is a masterpiece. Returning to the neglected characters of Bloodlines was a great move, and it has the best Dracula battle since Castlevania 3. Somehow Iga and his team have been able to keep the formula from getting too stale, and POR proves that. I personally have issues sticking with long, drawn out games because I lose interest, but I have played through and thoroughly enjoyed all of the post Symphony CV games. I was beginning to worry, but POR changed all of that.

People play and replay turn-based RPGs that vary ever so slightly in gameplay, so there is no reason for the "Metroidvania" style to make any excuses. A pure action CV, possibly on something like the PSP, would be a nice diversion, but the lack of longevity in that style is why we haven't seen one since the CV Chronicles remake or SNES Drac X.

Back to topic, Super Metroid was near perfect and doesn't need a remake. It will get a rerelease on the Wii VC, and that should allow others to experience its excellence. This is a true "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" situation. A second screen map is hardly a reason to have a new developer go in there and wreck it. Fusion & Zero Mission were both heavily flawed, and neither were as good as any of the "Metroidvanias". There is simply no reason to do that to Super. Period.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Count on seeing Super Metroid as a $10 download for the VC.

More remakes on the portables? I'll pass.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klausien View Post
    I do however disagree with your "Metroidvania" statement. The 2 Sorrow games were quality, with Soma providing a much needed plot booster in Aria and the soul stealing mechanic adding some variety. Portrait of Ruin is the best CV since Symphony. Aside from the anime character artwork, underused dual character system, and afternoon cartoon dialogue, the game is a masterpiece. Returning to the neglected characters of Bloodlines was a great move, and it has the best Dracula battle since Castlevania 3. Somehow Iga and his team have been able to keep the formula from getting too stale, and POR proves that. I personally have issues sticking with long, drawn out games because I lose interest, but I have played through and thoroughly enjoyed all of the post Symphony CV games. I was beginning to worry, but POR changed all of that.

This is excluding the DS games, which i haven't played yet, but the only one i really liked was the first one, Circle of the Moon. HoD was a convoluted disappointment and Aria of Sorrow just seemed like a downgraded rehash of the perfection that was SotN. Wheras SotN was cool for the dual-castle thing, it's now starting to feel like padding. Plus, i'm really tired of every recent CastleVania protagonist looking like Alucard. It used to be cool in a Dark Shadows kinda way, but that one aspect is REALLY played out.

I think what i'd really like most from the series right about now is a traditional, stage-based CastleVania. I think we had like 3 of those where the controls didn't suck, so we could use a few more. A linera CV has every potential to be great if they turned to requiring technique from the player instead of the usual repetition and memorization of old. Something beyond the shallow mechanic of a skyrocketing hit counter.

People play and replay turn-based RPGs that vary ever so slightly in gameplay, so there is no reason for the "Metroidvania" style to make any excuses. A pure action CV, possibly on something like the PSP, would be a nice diversion, but the lack of longevity in that style is why we haven't seen one since the CV Chronicles remake or SNES Drac X.
    I thought it had more to do with what a pain it was to get Sony to OK 2D games.

This is kind of the thing, though. With SotN itself being so excellent, there's no need for so many rehashes. Even though i know where absolutely everything is, i still play it to utter completion about once a year. In that way, HoD and AoS just weren't necessary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, when I said remake on DS, I really meant just a port to DS. Maybe they could add map functionality to the other screen, but other than that, I wouldn't want any changes to Super Metroid. I just want to be able to play it on the go.

On the topic of Metroid II, however, that really should be remade. It could be a great game if remade on DS. It is a fun game, but is frustrating because there is no map and because of how easy it is to get stuck. I don't see how you can beat it without the gamefaqs map. Anyway, Metroid is one of my favorite series, and I can't wait for the new releases.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Metroid II wasn't bad at all, I really enjoyed it and found it not too difficult, and if anything needs improvement it was the music. It was by far the worst of the series.

If Super ever got ported the only thing it needs in my opinion is maybe more cut scenes and story like Fusion and Zero Mission have, it shouldn't get graphic updates though.

If Nintendo ports anything to GBA or DS it should be some of those awesome unreleased RPGs and nice platformers from the NES and SNES. I could handle translations of some of those on the Wii VC.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Insert Coin (Level 0) eric nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked Zero Mission a lot, but I don't think Super needs a remake. It's fine just the way it is. The original Metroid, on the other hand, had very dated gameplay and graphics.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like it or anything, just that I don't think it's needed, and Nintendo could better use their resources by making a new 2D adventure on DS rather than a remake.