Thread: Linking two sega dreamcasts?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Linking two sega dreamcasts?

I've been resently wondering if this possable if so how is it done? Would it just be hooked up via phone cable? or is there a special conecter and is there anygames worth playing like this or not?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For a complete list of Dreamcast system link titles, please see the following URL:

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/..._gameslist.php

Note: Remember to click on each region area for the compatible system link games in each region.

You will need a Dreamcast VS Cable, which is a serial link cable that connects via a port in the back of the DC. They are pretty hard to find these days, so eBay is your best bet.

-nikon
    www.onlineconsoles.com - network gaming for the Dreamcast, GameCube and Playstation 2

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So they dident make any system like titles. Thats too bad

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just saw a third-party link cable for Dreamcast up for sale on playasia.com the other night, if I'm not mistaken.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In addition to Ferrari F-355 Challenge and Virtual On:OT listed on the page the lordnikon posted, one of the AeroDancing titles and also Sega Tetris work with the Versus Link cable. One of Capcom's 2D fighters is often listed as copatible as well, but it's not. The cable uses the Ext. port on the pack of the system, not the modem. And the third party ones josekortez mentioned are still pretty easy to find from a number of online Hong Kong shops.

...word is bondage...

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe View Post
    Sega Tetris work with the Versus Link cable.
    Wow. I have to wonder how many people actually got together all that hardware in order to play 2-player Tetris when they could have played against each other using a single system....

--Zero

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    Wow. I have to wonder how many people actually got together all that hardware in order to play 2-player Tetris when they could have played against each other using a single system....

--Zero
    Ha That the game that makes me want to get the cord lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lordnikon View Post
    You will need a Dreamcast VS Cable, which is a serial link cable that connects via a port in the back of the DC. They are pretty hard to find these days, so eBay is your best bet.
    Is there a schematic of the cable? If it's possible I'd prefer to make my own if it's hard to find. I have bought copies of several multiplayer compatible games and have 3 dreamcasts just for whenever I decided to link them together. I don't have the space at the current time nor have I but plan on doing it when I have my own place.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really don't think they're hard to find, but if you want to make one, my guess is that it would just be a direct connection between the extension ports on the two systems. The official cable has a box midway through, but I bet that's just resistors.

...word is bondage...

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

two DC linked and setup with DC VO twinstick and LCD monitor via VGA box is the blast... only down side is it might take some time to set up and finding one willing to invest the money into the setup... he he

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darkcat View Post
    So they dident make any system like titles. Thats too bad
    ??? Did you click the link? There are system link titles. Read my reply.

In addition to Ferrari F-355 Challenge and Virtual On:OT listed on the page the lordnikon posted, one of the AeroDancing titles and also Sega Tetris work with the Versus Link cable.
    Actually, like I stated originally the lists are seperated into 3 regions. In order to see NTSC-J titles like Aero Dancing and Sega Tetris you have to click to the "Japan" link. If you click there you will see all 5 VS cable titles released in Japan.

One of Capcom's 2D fighters is often listed as copatible as well, but it's not. The cable uses the Ext. port on the pack of the system, not the modem. And the third party ones josekortez mentioned are still pretty easy to find from a number of online Hong Kong shops.
    There are 2D fighters which link up to the NeoGeo Pocket Color via the NGPC to DC link cable a la GameCube / GBA. These cables are rather rare now since homebrew programmers have been stripping them down for years to make coders cables. So they can connect their Dreamcast to the PC and upload code for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post

--Zero
    In the arcades the game was also locally networked. The Dreamcast setup is identical. It enables you to play a 2 on 2 match in teams, and can see your opponents off in the distance. 1 on 1 would be good for a single console. However the real allure of system linking 2 systems is for the 4 player experience.
    www.onlineconsoles.com - network gaming for the Dreamcast, GameCube and Playstation 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

lordnikon, I don't see Shenmue listed in your graveyard for online games, is that not considered an online game despite its passport features?

Very sorry and annoyed to hear PSO for GC being terminated. I don't actively play, but I've got the game and the BB connection for GC. It bugs me that these things "expire" despite having paid whatever I paid for the game and the hardware.
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dreamporter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I can safely say its worth it if you play VO:OT with the arcade sticks....much much worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mezrabad View Post
    lordnikon, I don't see Shenmue listed in your graveyard for online games, is that not considered an online game despite its passport features?
    The Dreamcast Online gamelist currently features Network Multiplayer games. Things at OC are always a work in progress since I have so many tasks commanding my attention at each area of the site. Shenmue falls under the downloadable content catagory as far as its network functions. There were a ton of DL Content titles for the DC. I have a near complete list on my PC, but I am still working on coming up with a catagorical way to display the information. Since many games had different DL content features. Some were ghost race file rankings, where-as others were expansion content. Actually getting this content finalized and up on the site takes some time, and I usually don't put things up until I have them in a near final state.

Although the Japanese Graveyard was stopped during mid-progress and hasn't had any of its cells filled in yet. I got side-tracked and never got back to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamporter View Post
    Yeah I can safely say its worth it if you play VO:OT with the arcade sticks....much much worth it.
    Yes I agree. I have a dual Twin Stick VirtualOn setup. Its the closest thing to the arcade you can get!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

Quote Originally Posted by lordnikon View Post
    The Dreamcast Online gamelist currently features Network Multiplayer games. Things at OC are always a work in progress since I have so many tasks commanding my attention at each area of the site. Shenmue falls under the downloadable content catagory as far as its network functions.
    Ah! Okay, that makes perfect sense. I understand completely regarding work in progress and time constraints.

I'm still bumming about PSO:GC going off.
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mezrabad View Post
    I'm still bumming about PSO:GC going off.
    Yea it is unfortunate. I am equally depressed about it, considering I have spent thousands of hours online on GC PSO. Stay tuned to OnlineConsoles in the future.

I will drop you a PM regarding GameCube PSO. As I don't want to de-rail the topic off of Dreamcast local networking.

--

Back on topic, it should be stressed that the Aero Dancing games that support the link cable are the original releases of Aero Dancing F and i. The Fan Discs, also referred do as FSD and iSD do not support local system link.
    Last edited by lordnikon; 01-10-2007 at 04:40 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I saw it mentioned somewhere that Daytona is one of the compatible titles. Does anyone know if that is true (it's not on any of the lists I have seen). Does anyone know of any US compatible games besides the Ferrari game and Virtual On? The only link cable I can find is on ebay and its $60, is that a fair price?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, Daytona doesn't support the link cable. That game and the Capcom fighter I mentioend earlier in the thread were both listed as compatible on the box of the unlicensed third party link cable sold by Dragon, which is certainly the source of the misinformation. The only games that work with the link cable are those listed on the site lordnikon linked to and mentioned in this thread.

...word is bondage...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Dragoncast branded VS cable are still relatively easy to find, and work quite well. But i sold that once i got a hold of the very elusive original SEGA cable for my collection. Here's how it looks like: