Thread: Japanese Wii Virtual Console question

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Japanese Wii Virtual Console question

Here is a question to those of you who have a Japanese Wii, and have used the virtual console. Does it accept non-Japanese credit cards and such as payment, or is it totally non-accepting of that (ala Japanese iTunes)?

Also, this has nothing to do with the virtual console at all, but what are the language options like for navigating menus and such? Any options for any languages other than Japanese, just out of curiosity?

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

Sorry I don't have an answer, but I'd like to add in another question that's been on my mind lately: Will the Wii also have Japanese games available for download on US machines, like say Mother or Fantastic World on the Fami or anything of the like?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if anyone can say anything for sure on this one...but my feeling is that the Wiis of differeng regions seem to be pretty distinctly seperated. I find it hard to see them offering games from other regions to be downloaded, if they didn't even allow Wii users to choose a region for their virtual console browsing/purchases in the first place.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got both a Japanese and US Wii so I can answer your questions.

stiltzkin - you can use US credit cards to buy Virtual Console points. That's how I purchased all of mine. Be aware that they charge you in yen, so you might actually save money on buying Japanese games unless your credit card company has outrageous foreign exchange rate fees

RetroYoungen - VC Games are NOT region free, the games in Japan are for Japan and games for the USA are for the USA. As of now there is no way to switch your region between USA and Japan. However, if you have a PAL console you can go country hopping and pick up a few extra titles. Also noted is that Nintendo will not release games that were not made in the region before. Meaning Mother, Fire Emblem for the SNES (already on Japanese Wiis) won't be coming on US Wiis. Also if you have a Japanese Wii you will not be able to get English (US versions) of RPGs like Dragon Quest and such