Thread: Super Robot Taisen O.G. I & II

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Default Super Robot Taisen O.G. I & II

Man, these games have me hooked. Like heroin hooked. Actually, it's just the first one. I haven't even opened the second because there's so much game in part one. Anyways, despite the fact that I'll probably be playing these two through February, I'm already looking ahead to the lonely future where I don't have any more S.R.T. games to play. My gf isn't too keen on the idea of sitting down with me and translating for 50hrs while I play through one of the Japanese-only releases. Are there any other games like this on any system? They're the first strategyRPGs I've ever played. I hear Fire Emblem is similar in design, but honestly I think the fantasy setting is beat. Half of the reason I love S.R.T. is that it's GIANT FREAKIN' ROBOTS. Also, are there any translation patches out there for some of the SNES Japan-only ROMs? I'd be happy to buy them legit if they could ever figure out the licensing rights (which they probably never will).

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never heard of these games, but you have my interest piqued. Can you elaborate?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

They're both available for the G.B.A. The Super Robot Taisen series is popular in Japan; it's a strategyRPG that brings together virtually every anime giant robot you can think of (from Gundam to Macross to Evangelion to Mazinger to ... you get the picture). Due to licensing rights that are different here than in Japan, it's unlikely we'll ever see proper releases of most of these games. However, there's an offshoot series called "Original Generation" that features original robots/mecha designed specifically for the series (all of which are of course heavily influenced by popular anime). It's got a great, relatively-complicated anime-style story that IMO is better than a lot of giant robot anime these days. Like I said, I'm still on the 1st game, which has two full-length campaigns featuring different protagonists. The game even raises or lowers it's difficulty based on how well you did on each previous mission. I'm in love with it, but they had me at "giant robots".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Pete, I would keep an eye open when you sleep, and constantly look over your shoulder when you walk down the street. Fuyukaze has been looking for the second game, and now that he knows you ahve it, and it's not being used, you are a dead man.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So do you speak Japanese? Or how are you playing them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman View Post
    So do you speak Japanese? Or how are you playing them?
    They have been published in English in the US by Atlus.
    "Dost thou love me?" "No" "But thou must!"

My Video Game Journal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by JJNova View Post
    Hey Pete, I would keep an eye open when you sleep, and constantly look over your shoulder when you walk down the street. Fuyukaze has been looking for the second game, and now that he knows you ahve it, and it's not being used, you are a dead man.
    Ha ha, ok, I'm sleeping with it under my pillow from now on. I was doing some searching, and it seems like Rebelstar: Tactical Command on the GBA may be somewhat similar in that it's (apparently) a sci-fi strategyRPG. Anyone able to make some comparisons between the two series?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley View Post
    Ha ha, ok, I'm sleeping with it under my pillow from now on. I was doing some searching, and it seems like Rebelstar: Tactical Command on the GBA may be somewhat similar in that it's (apparently) a sci-fi strategyRPG. Anyone able to make some comparisons between the two series?
    I have yet to play Rebelstar: Tactical Command, but I got it because I heard the gameplay was like the alien encounter part of X-Com (i.e. what you do when you land your troops at alien crashes or bases). Sadly, it's a game I haven't gotten around to yet.

I see the first Super Robot Taisen everywhere, but have only seen the second at one or two GameStops. I should probably make a point to pick the second one up.
    "Dost thou love me?" "No" "But thou must!"

My Video Game Journal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
    I have yet to play Rebelstar: Tactical Command, but I got it because I heard the gameplay was like the alien encounter part of X-Com (i.e. what you do when you land your troops at alien crashes or bases). Sadly, it's a game I haven't gotten around to yet.

I see the first Super Robot Taisen everywhere, but have only seen the second at one or two GameStops. I should probably make a point to pick the second one up.
    Let me know if when you get to Rebelstar; I'll be working on these two for awhile anyways.

S.R.T. II apparently came out in Japan like three years after S.R.T. I, and most reviews say it actually improves on the original in several areas. It seems pretty rare, so I'd say definitely pick it up now if you have any intention of trying it. You might want to play through part one first however, as the second builds off the story laid down originally.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

try Mech Platoon for the GBA... it's basically Command & Conquer with mechs
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    try Mech Platoon for the GBA... it's basically Command & Conquer with mechs
    Awesome, I'm gonna eBay it right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mech Platoon is actually Advance Wars with mechs.. so you're more likely to enjoy that over Rebel Star Tactical Command (both of which I have). Rebelstar is, like someone else said, playing the combat sequences of X-Com without the base-building (though there is a storyline in RS).

If you enjoy this sort of game though.. and the "mecha" is what does it for you.. you might want to try out both Vanguard Bandits and the Front Mission games on the original Playstation. Front Missions can be found relatively cheap, Vanguard Bandits is, for the most part "collector's fare".

On a side note.. it's weird I visited the forum tonight and saw you thread. I was down at my local Gamecrazy just hours ago and saw this game (I don't recall if it was 1 or 2). Couldn't tell much about it from the back of the box and they wanted $30 for it.. so I decided to come home and read a few reviews.. and saw this thread as well. Sounds like one I'd like.. especially now that it's been translated. As for translation patches I DO recall that one of the translation groups HAS patched a couple of the Famicon Super Robot Wars and they were working on a Super Famicon title a couple years back.. but it wasn't on their priority list and we all know how excruciatingly slow the groups can be to finish some projects that they don't have a lot of enthusiasm for (we're talking "years" in most cases). I haven't checked in on the translation scene in about a year now.. but Google "The Whirlpool" to see if the sites still around.. they can lead you to the proper group and the patches. I don't recall the specific name of the group.. but it was the one that used to be on top for years.. I want to say "Aegeon" or something like that.. but I could be wrong.

Oh yeah! There's Faselei! for the Neo Geo Pocket Color, VERY cheap in cart-only form (get the UK version.. at least you can understand the game) but VERY HTF and $ if you want a complete clam-shell copy with a manual.

Not exactly what you're describing but along the same lines is Biomotor Unitron for the NGPC and Ring Of Red for the PS2. "Mech" games.. heh.. I'm a sucker for them all. Big Robots? Ever played Steel Battalion?
    Last edited by scorch56; 01-11-2007 at 01:05 AM.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

HERE

..here's a link to Super Robot Wars 3 on the SNES. Group was Aeon Genesis ( well.. I was kinda' close! ). Apparently.. The Whirlpool has closed (actually I recall that) and is now this site. I know that somewhere in those 700+ games are the NES SRW games as well.. you'll just have to look for them. Whether they're 100% or not (like this one is) though, I couldn't tell you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Damn! That romhacking.net site has SIX (6) different S.R.T. games translated to English. Thanks for the find; should keep me busy into the summer, lol.

You know I've never played Steel Battalion or the Front Mission games. I've always loved mecha but never got into anything other than the Armored Core/Virtual-On series. I had some crazy idea that I didn't like "strategy" games until I played SRT:OG. From the looks of things, I think that the Front Mission series is a must for me at this point. Vanguard Bandits is a little rare but not too pricey on eBay, so I'll probably pick that up as well (the art direction looks killer IMO). This was exactly the kind of info I was looking for, thanks again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i just picked up the first srt from gamecrazy the other day,$19.99 new.havent opened it yet,but i might have to tonight.i have some of the robot wars games for saturn and ps1(jap import)so this game is really going to be cool to play in english.
    do not buy/get system repair from martin krohn aka iamnotageek.com

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley View Post
    I hear Fire Emblem is similar in design, but honestly I think the fantasy setting is beat. Half of the reason I love S.R.T. is that it's GIANT FREAKIN' ROBOTS.
    Yeah, i'm also am a mecha fan, but OG was a huge dissappointment for me. For one thing - there are no "GIANT FREAKIN' ROBOTS" anywhere in sight, since they are all Super Deformed. Which would be fine in usual SRT case, but OG is also one of the worst SRT in existence, just due to the fact that there are no licensed mechas !!! Having licences mechas like Grendizer or Evas is the whole point of the series, after all ! Without it - the game is rather bland.

About Fire Emblem comparability :
    Fire Emblem is much better in comparison. Looking at SRT:OG - you can easily mistake it for a SNES version, or even NES. Nothing is changed. Graphics are not the main selling point, but leaving the same butt-ugly menu system was a big mistake, Banpresto. A. Big. Mistake. The menu system in OG is cumbersome, non-intuitive, well, just plain uncomfortable. Fire Emblem ? They actually took time to create something nice. I love how there is an on-line help implemented (BOO, SRT:OG !), how easy and wonderful the mission preparement is. It could be even better, but not by much. Also, in comparison, SRT games always were, are, and will be hugely unbalanced.
    Let me tell you the first sign of lazy developers : its when hit points numbers are in the thousands, instead of dozens or few hundreds. Its always easier to increase the hit points tenfolds, than spend time actually balancing things out.