Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disaster Report 2 (Raw Danger) is out NOW!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Disaster Report 2 (Raw Danger) is out NOW!!!

Just opened the new issue of Tips & Tricks today and saw that the sequel to my favorite PS2 game of all-time is finally getting released in the US. Raw Danger (Disaster Report 2) is supposed to be in stores February. Was starting to give up hope on seeing this one since it's been well over a year since it was released in Japan and the original Disaster Report didn't get stellar reviews. The original still had a small cult following though due to it's unique gameplay and great story.

Looks like the disaster in question this time is giant Katrina-like flood. You can control up to 6 different characters and encounter multiple story lines depending on your choices in the game (much like the first game).

It's not listed on Gamestop or EB yet, which means it'll probably get pushed back to March or April. As long as it comes out though, I'll be happy.
    Last edited by norkusa; 01-09-2007 at 10:53 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Is that Sakura Zakashobotai? Goddammit, I just ordered the Japanese version!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really enjoyed the 1st Disaster Report. Got it for pretty cheap too. Some slowdown in places but the many "Whoaa!" moments w/ in the game outweighed them.

It's too bad most gamers passed on it or even acknowledged its existence.

One of the best moments was screaming at/for the girl, who was right next to me, so I did it right in her face, & all she did was smile & wave...
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I've never heard of this before, what do you do in it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcalder8 View Post
    I've never heard of this before, what do you do in it?
    I don't know much about DP2 but in the first one, you're a reporter who's stuck on an island that just experienced a huge earthquake. You basically wander around the island trying to find a way to get off before the entire place blows up (or something like that, it's been a while since I played so i don't remember the story that well). Most of the action involves climbing high ledges and avoiding accidents like fires things falling on you.

While trying to escape, you'll encounter other survivors and team up with them. The story lines will change depending on who you talk to and what items you pick up, so there are a bunch of different possible endings (I think there was something like 20 different possible endings in DP1).

Very unique game and unlike anything I've ever played before but like RJ said, it's not perfect. There is a lot of slowdown when you're in wide-open areas, especially when giant buildings are collapsing in front of you (which happens a lot in the game). If you can look past the minor problems like that though, it really is great game.

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

holy shit, this is a godsend. *does a little jig* i really loved Disaster Report and i cant wait to play the sequel
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It'd even be better if this was a $20-$30 release too. I haven't heard anything on the price yet, but I have a feeling it's going to be one of those budget releases since the original DP was kind of obscure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I was always interested in Disaster Report, I've seen it at EB/Gamestop a lot in the past and never got myself to buy it. I'll have to pick it up next time I see it,since it reminds me of SOS.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Sweet. I was hoping to see this stateside. Loved the first one besides the technical issues and the part where you have maunver above the tanker truck that exploded. Damn near perfect actually aside from that. Excellent story presentation. The one save you couldn't make still haunts me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to admit, I've always passed on Disaster Report because of the terrible reviews it got, but you've made me reconsider. If I see it for cheap, I may pick it up now.

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

really its one of the ps2's most misunderstood treasures imo. it is really a great game with very unique gameplay. out of the obscure current gen stuff i try to buy, this has to be one of my all time favorites.
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ah, thanks for the heads up! I picked up DR last year for cheap and thought it was a great game! Always heard good things about it, so I figured what the hell....

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome news.

I just loved Disaster report. sure, it had some graphical flaws, but it was an experience like I hadn't seen before. I'll never forget trying to escape the baseball stadium as the pillars and crap are rolling down at you, or side stepping along the ledge of a building to try and rescue a trapped worker.

From the opening scene on, there is a great sense of not knowing what will happen next that makes the whole game exciting. You can't explore any building without constantly wondering if the whole darn place is about to come down around you.
    It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Banana (Level 7) pragmatic insanester's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

damnit damnit damnit you beat me to it. i was bored at work 2 days ago and wikipedia'd disaster report, and was amazed the sequel was coming. i'm sure you guys remember me whining about how the stupid tsunami a few years ago soiled the USA's chances of getting the sequel translated. i urge you guys to repay the kindness of the publishers and purchase it at the original retail price, $50 or whatever.

Banana (Level 7) pragmatic insanester's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

don't you guys think it would be interesting if some survival-horror franchises picked up some of the ideas DR presented? i mean, we see leon and whatnot from resident evil survive a few days from zombies...but never eat/sleep/poop/drink and it would be nice to be able to navigate over rubble and barricades.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    I was always interested in Disaster Report, I've seen it at EB/Gamestop a lot in the past and never got myself to buy it. I'll have to pick it up next time I see it,since it reminds me of SOS.
    Same, I have always seen it but never picked up especially with the sequel coming out I will have to go and pick it up.

Cool great news though

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry to dig up a month+ old thread but I just finished DisRep. a 2nd time, loved every minute. Not too difficult that you get frustrated, interesting savegame feature & good plot to boot. Oh, & have something to drink nearby-this game always makes me thirsty!

I actually took a break from playing RE4 for this, cant say I regret it.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Sorry to dig up a month+ old thread but I just finished DisRep. a 2nd time, loved every minute. Not too difficult that you get frustrated, interesting savegame feature & good plot to boot. Oh, & have something to drink nearby-this game always makes me thirsty!

I actually took a break from playing RE4 for this, cant say I regret it.
    It must be OK if you passed up RE4 for it. I picked this one up a few years ago real cheap, but I admit I haven't played it too much. I guess you have to have a bit of patiance for this game, as my friends who play my PS2 found the game frustrating, and in their words "slow". Very unique game regardless

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, that's just it- any "normal" gamer would easily choose RE4 over an obscure title like DRep. any day. But I have an affinity for obscure titles & now tend to lean toward the "easier" games. I like to keep playing b/c I LIKE the game, not b/c a game forces me to keep doing the same part(s) over & over out of sheer difficulty or if it seems next-to-impossible.

I'll probably still be playing DRep. for the 10th time after RE4 is long forgotten (& only played thru once!)

I heard RE4 becomes rather frustrating toward the end (didnt get specifics) & just the thought of that turns me off. I'm not sure if I'll even pick it up again (RE4 that is.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    But I have an affinity for obscure titles & now tend to lean toward the "easier" games.
    I really like the obscure stuff as well...there's just way to many "me too" titles out there now.

All this talk about Disaster Report is making me break it out and make some progress in the game!