Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got PS3. Now what?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Got PS3. Now what?

I got a PS3. Impulse purchase at Target. Apparently an eBay seller had bought many and couldn't turn a profit on eBay so he returned two unopened. I was there looking for something else. Like diapers or whatever.

I bought Untold Legends because I love hack'n slash. It's official, I'd rather be playing Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance or Champions of Norrath. Don't buy this title new. I should have bought Resistance. Duh! Even then, if I wanted to play a good FPS online, I could just pick up Halo 2.

So what's the point in owning one of these? It's so new it still looks sexy. But I just don't know what the point is? They should have waited until next year to release it with something worth playing aside from Resistance. I can't even play Guitar Hero on it! And the controllers cost $50!

Now what? Those of you waiting to buy one of these units, I say keep waiting.

At least the 360 had a nice marketplace when I bought it and Geometry Wars. And downloadable demos.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

wii controllers are 60$. =[ =[ =[

anyway, i too had an impulse buy of a ps3 at gamestop a few weeks back during lunch break at work, as it sat there during the work day i realized i dont want it, and sold it to my freind at cost when i got home.

walking around manhattan with that thing sucks. its too fucking heavy.

Strawberry (Level 2) sickdrummer420's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    sickdrummer420

now you can finally make a PS3 grill
    Drummers do it with rythym

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now you wait for the games to come out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

There are demos on the PS3 store btw. I agree people can wait on these as there is nothing worth playing on it.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Trying to judge from the substance of your post it's hard for me to discern what emotion you want us (me) to placate you with.. envy or sympathy?

Ah hell.. I think actually.. sympathy is called for. You have my condolences. I wish I could afford a $600 doorstop. Now go play your PS2.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I bought a 60 gig PS3 at a local game store. I also bought Untold Legends, Genji, and downloaded a couple of games. Gran Turismo HD is a nice little package for a free download. I'm thinking that sometime after March is when the PS3 will be worth it. I am optomistic about the future of PS3. The 360 had a rough start and it took a couple months to gain some momentum, now look where its at. With the PS3, its only a matter of time. I just wish I could afford a 1080P TV set. I'm almost tempted to sell off a bunch of games to be able to actually afford one. I have a feeling by the summertime, everyone who sold thier PS3 will be wishing they hadn't because thats when we're really going to see its power and progress. Just with future updates alone we'll see a major difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ianoid View Post
    Now what?
    I assume you have a HD TV. If not, gou out and pick one up if you can afford it. Also, upgrade your connector to either component or HDMI.

1. Pick up Resistance. It is that good of a game and worth it. A while back, Best Buy had a Launch Guide for the PS3 with coupons in the back, including $5 off Resistance.

2. Take your receipt for the PS3 to Gamestop. They had a promo going on that if you bought your PS3 from a competitor, show them the receipt and they'll give you a coupon booklet, including $5 off a Sixaxis controller.

3. If you like sports, pick up NBA 2K7; this is a great game to play with a friend. We have loads of fun playing it. It looks, plays and feels like a real basketball game.

4. Buy the DVD remote ($20-$25) and watch your existing DVDs upconverted to near HD quality.

5. Play your PS1 and PS2 games on it. They look great on the PS3.

6. Rent exclusive games that you are unsure about buying for the PS3 - Full Auto 2; Genji; etc.

Ridge Racer 7 is $50 this week at Best Buy if you like that series; Also if you don't already have Marvel Ultimate Alliance for another platform, go pick that up.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Or return the thing, save $600 and be happy instead of going out and buying even more stuff for it that you don't need yet =P If Tekken 5 DR was not available on it right now, It would be collecting even more dust.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Tekken: DR is out for it? have have heard that from a couple of people and have yet to see it anywhere in the Playstation Store. Whats up with that, is it only in the UK or Japan or something?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    Tekken: DR is out for it? have have heard that from a couple of people and have yet to see it anywhere in the Playstation Store. Whats up with that, is it only in the UK or Japan or something?
    Only in Japan and Hong Kong for now afaik. You can still get it tho. MarkMan on this forum downloaded it, he also wrote how to do it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you were playing the japanese version of Motorstorm right now, which is currently available btw, you wouldn't be feeling such buyers remorse. Of course, supposedly the US version of Motorstorm is coming February 27th (at least according to EB's coming soon list), so you might want to at least wait until then before making any rash conclusions. There isn't any question that the PS3 lineup sucks balls, cause it does. Even with Resistance and the import version of Motorstorm, the PS3 lineup sucks balls. That's just the way it is right now. But if you look at the Nintendo Wii, it's the same thing. The Wii lineup sucks balls too. They have Zelda and Wii Sports and that's it. PS3 has Resistance and import version of Motorstorm. So basically both systems only have two compelling games atm.

Also, a big part of the whole PS3 thing, is the Blu Ray factor. If you don't have a large HDTV (50 inches or bigger), then you probably don't give a rats ass about Blu Ray, but for people with larger HDTV's, Blu Ray is pretty damn impressive. I've been renting alot of Blu Ray movies via Blockbuster online, and I've very much enjoyed my PS3 in regards to it's Blu Ray capabilities. Of course, I'm a home theater nerd, in addition to being a video game nerd, so I was interested in Blu Ray irregardless of the PS3 itself. The fact that I'm getting a high quality Blu Ray player for basically an extra C note, is a dream come true to me. Most would agree that the Blu Ray movie capabilities of the PS3 are "WAY" better than the $799 Samsung, and on par with Sony's own standalone Blu Ray player. Alot of people complain cause they don't want to sink money in a format that could die, but I'm not the type of guy to buy movies anyways. I just rent them. So I could give a care less whether HD-DVD or Blu Ray wins this format battle. I'm just going to be happy to rent both of them in the interim.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ianoid View Post
    I got a PS3. Impulse purchase at Target. I was there looking for something else. Like diapers or whatever. .
    You should have bought diapers instead. Cheaper and more useful.

I bought Untold Legends because I love hack'n slash. It's official, I'd rather be playing Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance or Champions of Norrath.
    It reminds me of the bad quality of titles for the PS2 in the first 9 months after launch. Evergrace, Eternal Ring, Orphen...I think the only Sony published game was Fantavision. The only difference is that Sony this time has a very serious competitor who has an already established system with good titles and a one year old library.

The launch logistically and from a standpoint of quality-titles is more than disappointing. It seems Sony was surprised by the "early" launch of the 360 after MS officials gave interviews since 2003 that Sony won't get a headstart anymore and in all likelihood MS will launch their new system at the latest in 2006.

So what's the point in owning one of these? It's so new it still looks sexy. But I just don't know what the point is?
    My feeling exactly. With the 360 I was tempted to buy it early because of Project Gotham Racing and Kameo. The 360 had a much better launch lineup from a standpoint of balance and quality; besides the worldwide launch was logistically very impressive.

About the PS3? I had in the last two weeks already two opportunities to buy one. I wasn't interested. Like you, I just don't see a point of getting one.

The hype about getting a PS2 in the US lasted four-five months after launch; it seems that after two months the PS3 is not so high in demand anymore, there is certainly no hype about the little thing anymore, which I find very interesting. Ebay sellers noticed it and got some disappointments, retailers noticed it, and gamers like us feel the difference in mood and atmosphere as well.

Although from a standpoint of organization and from the bad launch lineup very similar, I think the reason for the difference between the PS2 and PS3 are twofold:

1) The 360 is already in place with no image-damage whatsoever. MS isn't Sega. The Dreamcast seemed imagewise already outdated before the PS2 was released. This is not the case with the 360. The need and hype to play "next-gen" isn't certainly there with the 360 readily available with great titles.

2) Blue-Ray isn't DVD. The newness factor, attraction and public attention of DVD-technology in 2001 was much bigger than HD-DVD or Blue-Ray today, therefore the incentive to get the new machine as a movie player is dramatically reduced in 2006/07. For HD movies you need an HD TV set which is still in the vast minority of households; DVDs could be played without problem and enjoyed in their full capacity on regular TVs everyone already had.

The movie-player capability will help the PS3 but not to such an extent it helped the PS2 to overcome the draught of good titles.

Now what? Those of you waiting to buy one of these units, I say keep waiting.
    Right on! That is exactly I'll do...and maybe some probs (up/downconverting; motion sensor of the controller) will be resolved in 9 months or a year, and I HOPE there will be good games, and I'm sure the bad launch titles can be had for very cheap, THEN I'll buy one.
    Last edited by lendelin; 01-10-2007 at 03:42 PM.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    For HD movies you need an HD TV set which is still in the vast minority of households; DVDs could be played without problem on regular TVs everyone already had.
    You can play HD movies on a normal TV without a problem too, but you wont get the "HD". It will still be great quality tho.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    Also, a big part of the whole PS3 thing, is the Blu Ray factor. If you don't have a large HDTV (50 inches or bigger), then you probably don't give a rats ass about Blu Ray, but for people with larger HDTV's, Blu Ray is pretty damn impressive.
    I agree, and I love a great quality pic and graphics as you do; however, the Q is how many people have larger HDTVs?...and therefore will the Blue-Ray factor help the PS3? (see my post above)

The blue ray capability is a great incentive by Sony to get in particular the casual gamer and casual movie viewer; they get two-in one with the PS3; but since you need an HDTV in order to enjoy it the crucial point is how many HDTVs are out there and will be bought within the next year so that the PS3 will be attractive before Blue-Ray- or HD-DVDs-players come down in price?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    You can play HD movies on a normal TV without a problem too, but you wont get the "HD". It will still be great quality tho.
    Yep, but HD isn't then certainly an incentive to get the PS3, which was my point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

wii controllers are 60$. =[ =[ =[
    Actually they are $40. The nunchuck is an add-on. Plus the sixaxis has 1 motion sensor, the Wii remote + Nunchuck = 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    But if you look at the Nintendo Wii, it's the same thing. The Wii lineup sucks balls too. They have Zelda and Wii Sports and that's it.
    It's still a better lineup than PS3 though. If you compare the games besides the two you mentioned for each system, the Wii is much better.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I say just give the system some more time. Honestly I want to pick one up right now, I just don't have enough money. I also don't know if I'd have the luck of finding one. But it always seems like Playstation systems don't do good at launch. Then games like Final Fantasy and Gran Turismo start coming out, and then more and more. I feel the PS3 will become a great system, just like the Playstation 1 and 2. It's only been out for two months after all, and the X-box 360 has been out for a little over a year .

Also about the whole Wii launch thing, being a Nintendo fan I have to say it did suck. As Anthony1 pointed out the only two really good games were Wii Sports and Twilight Princess, and Twilight Princess was only a Gamecube port. Wii Sports is pretty cool, but I got bored with it after about five hours of playing. But the first two hours I really enjoyed it. I honestly would rather play Zelda on the Gamecube, it just feels less ackward. The rest of the games were mostly Gamecube ports of lame games based on children's movies.

I really have no right to talk because I've never played any PS3 games besides the Motostorm demo, but I do feel Resistence: Fall of Man and Ridge Racer 7 would be better then Wiisports and Twilight Princess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Slicknick1213

Unhappy

I really want to like the PS3. I actually waited for the longest time saving money etc to get ready for the launch and then decided it was a waste of my $700. Honestly, the Sony executives are truly doing the worst job I think could possibly be done as of late. It's like one nasty, painful, screw up after another. (Konami cancelled 4 PS3 games, Motostorm is coming out without 1080 and 30fps, SOTN is being ported to the 360..I realize this is a Konami game but man..how does Sony let this classic slip through their fingers, exclusive titles have been lost left and right, the Cell processor and developing software is making it nearly impossible to code a decent game...ETC ETC ETC...it goes on and on. Very sad stuff.. just fucking remake FF7. Ya know!?! Something Sony has been known for is solid games with quality gameplay..that just isn't happening right now.

The 360 finally won me over...I NEVER thought that would happen. I have been quite happy with it. No question MS has done just about everything right since at least.....well the PS3 launch. Just in time I guess. =)

If you analyze whats been said/done regarding everything PS3 it's not worth owning right now. Hopefully they can get back on track real quick and have something worthy by early 2008.
    Last edited by Nick; 01-11-2007 at 03:50 AM.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Play Resistance, play CoD3 if you haven't already.

Is FEAR out? I dunno if it's supposed to be any good or not.

Buying systems at launch sucks....