Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would a zelda rpg be a good idea?

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Would a zelda rpg be a good idea?

Do you think nintendo would ever make a Zelda RPG. Basically taking the same style of gameplay mechanics but adding in experience points and upgradable armor/weapons? While playing through Twighlight Princess I kept on feeling the urge to want to level up somehow. Some may argue that Zelda already is an rpg but its more of an action/adventure game. Or if they made an offshoot of the series and made some kind of a turn based zelda rpg on the DS or something, would that be something people would be interested in? or do you think it would bring the magic of the zelda franchise down by going off track a little bit from what Zelda usually is as far as game mechanics go? I personally would buy zelda either way, but I think if they made 1 zelda game (other than zelda 2 on NES) have leveling up, i think it would get great ratings.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess so. Pretty much anything named Zelda is guaranteed to get a 9.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There was a Zelda game with leveling up. It was called The Legend of Zelda 2: Link's Adventure. I seem to be the only person who liked that game ... everyone I talk to always hated it.

Personally, I don't really want to see the Zelda series move to leveling up. The games have been way too easy as it is, recently, and the ability to level up would just remove even more challenge from the game. Instead, I prefer the tried and true Zelda franchise pattern, where you "level up" by getting better items and weapons, and more hearts.

As far as a turn-based standard RPG of Zelda, I think that would be the worst idea ever. The Zelda series is fun, and has a very epic feel to it. However, generally the dialogue is almost non-existant and the story is pretty sparse. Link doesn't even talk (although that doesn't count him out ... see Chrono Trigger). Plus, there are already way too many turn-based RPGs and not nearly enough true adventure games. I like Zelda the way it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo seems much more reluctant to experiment with the Zelda series than they have been with their other properties. We get Pokemon and Mario games of all genres and even Metroid got a pinball game, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a "Zelda Party" or "Paper Zelda" (even if it does sound good on Paper).

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slimedog View Post
    Nintendo seems much more reluctant to experiment with the Zelda series than they have been with their other properties. We get Pokemon and Mario games of all genres and even Metroid got a pinball game, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a "Zelda Party" or "Paper Zelda" (even if it does sound good on Paper).
    Zelda Party? Paper Zelda? How do those sound good on paper? Just to even fathom that possibility makes me cringe. Zelda is a classic series that always changes with new elements & new abilities and if it weren't for that it would become boring. But I personally think that after TP Nintendo SHOULD try something different for the next Zelda, like more of an RPG type game. I would not put it past Nintendo to do that and create something ground breaking. After all, if they break the mold in RPG's the Wii would have great success in the RPG market, maybe even more than Playstation.

But, Zelda is Nintendo's "bread and water", even more than Mario and like you say they are probably a little reluctant to experement.
    Last edited by Lozza; 01-11-2007 at 01:39 PM.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman View Post
    There was a Zelda game with leveling up. It was called The Legend of Zelda 2: Link's Adventure. I seem to be the only person who liked that game ... everyone I talk to always hated it.
    I find it strange that the Zelda games that strayed from the "Zelda Formula" most tend to be the ones that everyone likes the least. ie: Zelda 2, Wind Waker, and Majora's Mask.

However, I very much enjoyed Zelda 2 myself, so you're not the only one.

--Zero

Insert Coin (Level 0) fourzerotwo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Zelda franchise is one that has withstood time and has proven that its formula of gameplay, story, characters, franchise trademarks will remain tride and true forever!

Nintendo has always done an amazing job of developing those tride and true elements with the times while also keeping loyal to the essence of what Zelda is.

I don't think going off the beaten path with something as dramatic as turn based action / leveling up is something the series needs. As noted, most of you remember Zelda II: The Adventures of Link which took the series to a Side-scroller adventure, with leveling up, and the use of magic as well as the increased use of NPC's to push along the story, introduce item trading, and other things we've grown to expect and love from the Zelda franchise.

However, Zelda II has been the least successful of the Zelda franchise, I don't think so much because of the leveling and magic, but probably more of the side-scroller introduction. The rest was golden. Personally, I'm currently playing Zelda II again on the NES and LOVING IT!

That said, there were more Zelda's that were released that strayed off the path, not Nintendo developed however.

If you remember back in 1993 - 1994. Nintendo was contemplating a CD add-on that they partnered with Sony to development. That fell threw, and they decided to go with Phillips. Later Sony developed the PS1 and Nintendo decided they didn't want in the CD market just yet. So they dropped the deal.

However, during that deal with Phillips, they gave them the rights to the characters Zelda, Link, and Gannon. Which Phillips used those rights to develop THREE [3] Zelda games for their Phillips CDI console they released in 1993.

The games were:
    Link: Faces of Evil
    Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon
    Zelda's Adventures

All were complete bombs, were not developed by Nintendo or its development teams, and the only thing it had in common with The Legend of Zelda was the use of our beloved characters.

The games had more in common with the classic animated series The Adventures of Link rather than the games for the NES.

That said, the loyal Zelda community has little patience for non-tride and true Zelda titles, so I'd say something as drastic as turn based action and leveling would be frowned upon. I know I wouldn't like it.
    Last edited by fourzerotwo; 01-11-2007 at 02:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only if they include Tingle
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

trouble with most people who hate the Zelda series on CDi: They never even played them!!!!
    I ask a Zelda fan once why he hated the CDi series and what he thought of the game play, his answer was....never played them....rubbish...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    trouble with most people who hate the Zelda series on CDi: They never even played them!!!!
    I ask a Zelda fan once why he hated the CDi series and what he thought of the game play, his answer was....never played them....rubbish...
    Very true.

However, assume you have played them. What are your opinions of gameplay, story, etc.?

Personally, I'll have to totally agree with the uneducated response of 'rubbish', had playing them. They are horribly disgraceful.

Case and Point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_Yjnp_pJlQ

Given, that lends nothing to the argument of how gameplay is, but I assure you it sets the tone for the sour taste that is CD-i Zeldas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah, I play them. But I am a fan of the CDi console anyway, my fave being The Apprentice and Flintstone/Jetsons Timewarp, so I am a bit biased.

Stories are good for the bigger CDi jewel cased games (that's TWOG and TFOE), typically western style story telling, gameplay...um yes the controls.....

Zelda's Adventure is good enough, I mean I played worse on PC around the same time.
    Last edited by tom; 01-11-2007 at 04:16 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fourzerotwo View Post
    "You can make me do the duck walk."
    "Fortunately I brought my SmartSword."
    Oh brother.
    Is Link wearing lipstick?!?!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I play them. But I am a fan of the CDi console anyway, my fave being The Apprentice and Flintstone/Jetsons Timewarp, so I am a bit biased.

Stories are good for the bigger CDi jewel cased games (that's TWOG and TFOE), typically western style story telling, gameplay...um yes the controls.....

Zelda's Adventure is good enough, I mean I played worse on PC around the same time.
    I have nothing against the CD-i console in-general, basically just the Zelda games that were released on it. lol

For the simple fact that Link is suppose to be more, average Hyrulian farm boy thrust into heroism. Not all, "Gee Golly, I wonda what Gannon is up to!"

As you mentioned, there were some great games released on it, par with their time at least.
    Last edited by fourzerotwo; 01-11-2007 at 04:50 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VID_z...elated&search=

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman View Post
    Classic video there.

I just did a rather lengthy post delving into the history and hatred of the CD-i Zelda series @ http://fourzerotwo.blogspot.com/2007...-thinking.html

Hopefully it will shed some light on why I have a bad taste in my mouth from it.

But again, I restate, there were SOME good games for the CD-i, just not these. lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

i like them, but let's just say i played far worse platformers on NES than those two on CDi.

>>>>>WiseSalesman said: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VID_z...elated&search=<<<<<

Yeah I've seen that, those two morons are not very good at gameplaying, are they !!

BTW, I hate Zelda on Nintendo consoles (and I played the lot), worst franchise ever.
    Last edited by tom; 01-12-2007 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BTW, I hate Zelda on Nintendo consoles (and I played the lot), worst franchise ever.
    Gack! You're breakin' my heart!

The Zelda franchise has always held a place in my heart as one of the best franchises on any platform. Still an avid fan to this day [Twilight Princess] and have been since the NES days.

Ah well. I suppose different strokes for different folks.

Just out of pure curiosity, what is your favorite franchise?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I suppose it would make for a nice change of pace, what with the previous Zelda games being all fun and enjoyable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I watched that intro video and I was riveted.
    Negative, negative! We have a Wildcat destabilization of the ship's fusion core!

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

There are a lot more household names in the Mario universe than the Zelda universe. You got Mario, Luigi, Princess (Peach), Yoshi, Toad, Goomba's, Koopa's, Donkey Kong, Bowser, etc. These characters have been around forever, most of them. Having a lineup like that is conducive for racing games, party games or fighting games, regardless of the target audience.

Other than Link, Ganon and Zelda, there are not a lot of characters in the franchise that are household names. You can't count characters that were just introduced on the N64 or Gamecube, since most of them mean nothing to me or had limited appearances. You can't have a supporting cast of people like Saria or Tingle, who aren't worth a flip to some Zelda fans, and expect to pull off some of the same types of games that the Mario characters are thrown into. Sorry but Stalfos and Epona could never have their own game like Yoshi.
    Last edited by bangtango; 01-26-2007 at 09:59 PM.