Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would a zelda rpg be a good idea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. A turned based Zelda would be horrible, as would be leveling up, to a point that is. Zelda II didn't do a bad job at it, but it something that's not needed, especially since you get stronger equipment as the games go on.

I've read that the CDI game that stars Zelda isn't that bad, atleast compared to the other two. The only downsides mentioned were the loading and the cutscenes. I'm actually surprised that Nintendo hasn't made a Zelda game featuring Zelda as the lead, or for playable for some parts of the game, it would be interesting to see actually.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

>>>>>fourzerotwo said: Just out of pure curiosity, what is your favorite franchise?<<<<<

I have none, I mean sure, the VCS is the greatest for me as it was my first. I can play most games on there for hours on end So basically I am a 'shoot em up' guy perhaps (I love the Japanese games on VCS, funnily enough).

But I also think I prefer USA games, as Japanese games are mostly all the same style, eg cute, running around, etc....

There are some more franchises I don't like, eg FPS, Resident Evil (I suck at it), Japanese RPGs (USA RPGs are far better). Maybe I just prefer USA gaming (The Japanese cannot match that).

On the other hand, I also think Sega is (was) the better Japanese console/game maker (than Nintendo). The SMS has far more quality titles than NES.

So it's a bit of a mixture really.

My last 'modern' console was the Game Cube, which has some nice pleasent games.
    Last edited by tom; 01-27-2007 at 03:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    I'm actually surprised that Nintendo hasn't made a Zelda game featuring Zelda as the lead, or for playable for some parts of the game, it would be interesting to see actually.
    That's the best idea I've heard in a while Of course, I'm a die hard Zelda/Sheik fan on SSBM.

"How about a kiss for luck!"

rofl

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

>>>>>exit said: I've read that the CDI game that stars Zelda isn't that bad, atleast compared to the other two.<<<<<

Two CDi games you play as Zelda:

Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon
    Zelda’s Adventure

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    Do you think nintendo would ever make a Zelda RPG. Basically taking the same style of gameplay mechanics but adding in experience points and upgradable armor/weapons? While playing through Twighlight Princess I kept on feeling the urge to want to level up somehow. Some may argue that Zelda already is an rpg but its more of an action/adventure game. Or if they made an offshoot of the series and made some kind of a turn based zelda rpg on the DS or something, would that be something people would be interested in? or do you think it would bring the magic of the zelda franchise down by going off track a little bit from what Zelda usually is as far as game mechanics go? I personally would buy zelda either way, but I think if they made 1 zelda game (other than zelda 2 on NES) have leveling up, i think it would get great ratings.

I think it would be a DS spin-off series...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think they should make a small spin off series with those three guys that help Link in TP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Zelda Gaiden

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Make Zelda closer to Elder Scrolls series (HERESY!!!) and I'd be happy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Since this was necrobumped, I'd say they should develop another Wind Waker style game for consoles. The touch screen controls of PH and ST are not as comfortable as button controls.
    Post #1,998 - this blacktexting is driving me into deep madness...

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I wish Nintendo would experiment some more despite making some of the fans upset. I have little interest in playing A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time again with more or less different coat of paint,

I suppose you could make that argument against any long held franchise but without a cohesive storyline to draw me or characters to really care about Zelda just feels like the same game again and again.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I think Nintendo should devolve the series back to its roots. Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time were masterpieces, but everything since has been either "okay(Twilight Princess") or terrible(Majora's Mask.)

I actually just started 3D Dot Game Heroes a couple days ago and already I'm at the very end of the game. Amazing game. It makes me wonder why Nintendo doesn't just go back to the top down perspective and just add better graphics.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 06-17-2011 at 12:08 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0) mike_the_red's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I think Nintendo should devolve the series back to its roots. Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time were masterpieces, but everything since has been either "okay(Twilight Princess") or terrible(Majora's Mask.)

I actually just started 3D Dot Game Heroes a couple days ago and already I'm at the very end of the game. Amazing game. It makes me wonder why Nintendo doesn't just go back to the top down perspective and just add better graphics.
    It seems that rich, 2D sprite animation is at a standstill now, especially with major developers. Perhaps there's a shortage of artists who can animate such things these days?

Indie devs are doing some cool things (Cave Story, Knytt) and the major corporations would do well to listen. Recalling 2D games made in the last few years, can anyone think of one that did poorly? Even 2.5D games?

The Bionic Commando remake, Shadow Complex, Mega Man 9, Little Big Planet... all moderate to major hits.

Where are you, big console 2D gaming? We want you back. There's a market, I swear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A fucking awful idea
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it could easily be done well, if it had a gameplay similar to that of Kingdom Hearts. That way it'd retain much of the classic Zelda gameplay, while adding RPG elements to it.

It'd be a nice change of pace. But it'd have to be a more of a spin off, and not Nintendo taking the series in a new direction and continuing that for further games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the idea of adding Kingdom hearts characteristics to it however, KH is more of an action game than an RPG but utilizing that genre as well as the RPG genre could create a fantastic game and Zelda has a pretty heavy fanbase

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I'd rather have Metroid or Startropics as an RPG personally. Fantasy is overdone.

That said, maybe a game where you play as all the different Links through time, levelling up into the next one? That might be neat, if implemented in an interesting way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman View Post
    There was a Zelda game with leveling up. It was called The Legend of Zelda 2: Link's Adventure. I seem to be the only person who liked that game ... everyone I talk to always hated it.

Personally, I don't really want to see the Zelda series move to leveling up. The games have been way too easy as it is, recently, and the ability to level up would just remove even more challenge from the game. Instead, I prefer the tried and true Zelda franchise pattern, where you "level up" by getting better items and weapons, and more hearts.

As far as a turn-based standard RPG of Zelda, I think that would be the worst idea ever. The Zelda series is fun, and has a very epic feel to it. However, generally the dialogue is almost non-existant and the story is pretty sparse. Link doesn't even talk (although that doesn't count him out ... see Chrono Trigger). Plus, there are already way too many turn-based RPGs and not nearly enough true adventure games. I like Zelda the way it is.
    QFT

The amazing thing of The Legend of Zelda is the way the game makes you think and progress.

I ABSOLUTELY love ZELDA II, that game is in my top 3 (Majora's Mask, A Link to the Past and Zelda II). It is the most progressive Zelda and the gameplay and difficulty are well balanced.

Curios thing is that most tradicional RPGs are going in the opposite direction, changing the turn-based model to action-type systems ...

I prefer new IP than playing Zelda too often ....
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

a Zelda kinda like a Dragon Quest game could be intresting