Thread: Wii sensor bar extension?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wii sensor bar extension?

Is there any extension cord for the sensor bar yet? Or how hard would it be to actually extend it by myself?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Munchies879

No extension cord that I'm aware of, however there is a wireless sensor bar you can buy that runs on a 9 volt battery. I'm not sure how well it works though; I haven't tried one yet.

http://www.wirelesssensorbar.com/

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

People actually need an extension cord? The thing on there already is like a bowl full of spaghetti. That's the only thing that sucks about the Wii.. trying to lug it to a friend's/relatives house. There's too much spaghetti/parts.
    gamertag: pony0ne
    Wii friend: 6437 2281 7665 7241
    http://youtube.com/patrolskies - Patrol The Skies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyone View Post
    People actually need an extension cord? The thing on there already is like a bowl full of spaghetti. That's the only thing that sucks about the Wii.. trying to lug it to a friend's/relatives house. There's too much spaghetti/parts.
    I think it's weird too.

The thing is almost 12 feet long. I want to see a picture of someone's room with the Wii 12 feet away from their T.V. and they actually use it that way all of the time.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I pick up some component cables I plan to run it on my rear mount projector and would hate to have the Wii just sitting in the middle of the room

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gamegirl79 View Post
    No extension cord that I'm aware of, however there is a wireless sensor bar you can buy that runs on a 9 volt battery. I'm not sure how well it works though; I haven't tried one yet.

http://www.wirelesssensorbar.com/
    I may have to give this a try and see how well it works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You don't need the sensor bar at all, because it doesn't sense anything. All the bar does is shoot out two (actually, four, two on each side) IR beams that your wiimote picks up. That wire doesn't send any information. The Wii remotes work just as well if you set any bright object up in it's place. For instance, if you set a candle on either side pf the screen, it will also work. The Wii Remotes just uses the beam coming out of the sensor bar as it's "limitations guide". So feel free to unplug the bar and use something else in it's place. The name is quite misleading though. "Sensor Bar". Heh. ok.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by JJNova View Post
    You don't need the sensor bar at all, because it doesn't sense anything. All the bar does is shoot out two (actually, four, two on each side) IR beams that your wiimote picks up. That wire doesn't send any information. The Wii remotes work just as well if you set any bright object up in it's place. For instance, if you set a candle on either side pf the screen, it will also work. The Wii Remotes just uses the beam coming out of the sensor bar as it's "limitations guide". So feel free to unplug the bar and use something else in it's place. The name is quite misleading though. "Sensor Bar". Heh. ok.
    holy shit, really!?

wow i didnt know that

and i was kinda wondering how that 3rd party sensor bar works, guess now i know =]

thanks for the cool bit of info

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

I like to place candles close to my tv.
    Last edited by Ponyone; 01-12-2007 at 01:51 AM.
    gamertag: pony0ne
    Wii friend: 6437 2281 7665 7241
    http://youtube.com/patrolskies - Patrol The Skies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    holy shit, really!?

wow i didnt know that

and i was kinda wondering how that 3rd party sensor bar works, guess now i know =]

thanks for the cool bit of info
    There was a story about this on IGN. Apparently the candles worked relatively well

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I've heard about the candle trick too. I also think I've heard something about using speaker wire to extend the sensor bar cord. Not too sure about that one though. The reason that some people want to extend the sensor bar is because they are using a front projector, and typcially the projector is at the very back of the room, and the screen is at the very front of the room. So, you either have to do one of two things. Get a super long component and audio cable, or get a super long extension for the sensor bar, or a battery powered extension bar or whatever.

For the first two weeks, that I had a Wii, I couldn't hook it up to my projector for this very reason. Then I finally just said F it, and ordered a 25 foot, 5 wire component/audio cable from monoprice.com. Then I just used 5 radio shack couplers, to connect this 25 foot cable to my Nintendo Wii component cable. This allows me to have my Wii very close to the front of the room, and I put the sensor bar right on top of my center channel speaker, and that seems to work pretty well, all things considered. I thought about trying the candle thing, but I just didn't feel like having candles burning during long gaming sessions, it just didn't seem practical. I'm hoping that some 3rd party company comes out with two seperate battery powered sensors that you can place at the extreme left and extreme right of your screen, this way, no matter what size screen you have, you can have it be accurate. But we are going to have to wait for things like that to come down the pipe.

The thing is, if you want to experiment on a sensor bar, it's not that expensive of a proposition. You can order an extra sensor bar from Nintendo.com for $10. I ordered two more, just so I can have one installed on each of my 3 TV's, to allow me to quickly move my Wii from TV to TV with little hassle. You can also get a extra mini power brick for $19.99. And amazon has 3rd party Wii component cables for $19.99 now, so if you play your Wii in seperate rooms, you can spend a Wii bit of cash (pun intended), to have things setup in both rooms, so all you have to do is unplug the three things from the back of the wii, walk to the other room, and plug the three things in, and your done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had to buy the Psyclone component cables, which are 12' long, and put the Wii on a DVD rack on the side of my room, then run the senor bar the rest of the way to reach the front my projector screen. Not an ideal setup, but it works for now.
    Xbox Live: Ikari Warrior
    PSN: IkariWarrior

My collection: http://users.ign.com/collection/jaysweet99
    My theater: http://gallery.avsforum.com/showgall...ppuser/7596262