Thread: Credit card security with Virtual Console?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Credit card security with Virtual Console?

I've been wondering -- how do businesses that have a stricly online component such as the Wii Virtual Console, or XBOX Live, or iTunes ensure credit card security? What's preventing anyone from using a "borrowed" credit card to buy music or a few classic games? In the case of a retailer that sells a physical product, the delivery address needs to match the address with the credit card. But there is no such delivery with purely electronic commerce.

I've hooked my NTSC/U Wii up to the web and can browse the Virtual Console -- I wanted to buy some games. I'm working in Asia, though -- but my credit card is still a US credit card. Can this be done? SHOULD this be allowed?

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

It depends what country you've registered your Wii as being in. I've got a US Wii myself even though I'm in the UK and I've seen it varies. By doing so I've been able to exploit the "Brazil trick" to buy points for the VC

If the Wii is registered as in the US, you need to supply in addition to the card details, the full address that the card is registered at. In Brazil, just the postcode. Brazil's postcode systems matches that of the UK (and Canada) so I can buy points using my UK credit card fine by telling the VC I'm in Brazil. Before switching back to the US to buy the games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well..actually in the US we aren't asked for the billing address of the credit card.

I have orderd points online with my CC several times. All it asks for is the card number, exp, the security code on the back of the card, and then it will ask me for my city and county...yes...county...not country...county. That's it...no names...no other addresses. So I would think that as long as you provide that info correctly it should work. I have also heard that the county option doesn't even matter as many people have misread it to say country and put USA or whatever and it would still work.

Really the security for the CC ordering on the VC is pretty lax if anything.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I'd have to go back and check but I was sure it asked me for more than just that when I checked. Still, I can't do it that way either cos naturally my card ain't registered to an American city