Thread: Modern consoles and wireless internet

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Modern consoles and wireless internet

Hey everyone,

Well sorry if this has already been asked. I did a quick search and didn't find what I needed.

OK here goes, I'm currently hardwired. 2 Computers (I do some PC gaming), Xbox 360 and PS3.

I'll be moving into an apartment here soon. For the sake of convenience I'm thinking of going wireless. What's people's opinions of the wireless? I've always been under the assumption wired is going to be a noticeable difference in terms of speed, lack of lag etc.

Will it be negilible? And if I do go wireless, what's the best router for me to buy? What works best with PS3/360 etc?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You shouldn't notice any difference between a wired and wireless connection in terms of speed or latency. There really isn't any "best" router, as they all implement the same standards (802.11) and are compatible with each other. Any of the brand name routers (such as Linksys) should be fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

My entire apartment is wireless. It is 2 Macs, 1 PC, PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii, all using my AirPort Express. I used a Linksys router for years, it was at least 5 yrs. old when it crapped out on me. If I didn't have the AirPort Express, I would buy another Linksys router. You will likely be getting a A/G router, as most things are at G speeds these days (54 mbps).

I don't notice lag or speed issues at all.

I would say a A/G Wi-Fi router from any of the major brands would work fine for you.

Oh, and you will have to get the wireless adapter for the 360.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok thanks guys, I'll definetly have to pick me up a router. Some cards for the computers and the damn adapter for the 360