Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a PS3? Best Buy has plenty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well the offshoot of this is that it makes it a lot easier to snag one and flip it on ebay which is what we all wanted to do, right?

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    Well the offshoot of this is that it makes it a lot easier to snag one and flip it on ebay which is what we all wanted to do, right?
    At a loss after eBay fees and in-store tax given the price is barely above retail on eBay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post
    At a loss after eBay fees and in-store tax given the price is barely above retail on eBay.
    Well yes.. that was the joke. You win the prize!
    Last edited by NE146; 01-14-2007 at 11:33 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) ManciGames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by esquire View Post
    Between that, and in Anthony1's thread about the Wii's graphics, I think we all know that you and ManciGames do not like the PS3, so why do we need another PS3 bashing thread? Just move on already.
    On the contrary, I think the PS3 is a fantastic piece of tech and will be around even ten years from now. I just find it fascinating that consumers are rejecting it.

My own theory is that Sony decided to sit this round of the console war out a long time ago. The PS3 already has the capability to push photo-real graphics in 1080p. Combine that with the ability to update the firmware over the internet and I think you've got a machine that can compete with whatever is released in the next cycle five years from now.

But, by then the PS3 will be pretty cheap to manufacture and developers will be familiar with how it works. I've got a whole bunch more detail at this point in my theory, but I don't feel like getting into it right now, so I'll just say that I believe Sony will pull a Nintendo about five years from now and just re-release the PS3 in a smaller prettier form and call it a day, at which point developers will be swarming to it in droves.

But for now...they are collecting dust.
    Manci Games - For the Retro Gamers of the World (RIP)
    Home of Manci Games Retrogaming Magazine
    www.mancigames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ManciGames View Post
    I just find it fascinating that consumers are rejecting it.
    It's too expensive. I pretty much think that's the primary reason.

My own theory is that Sony decided to sit this round of the console war out a long time ago. The PS3 already has the capability to push photo-real graphics in 1080p. Combine that with the ability to update the firmware over the internet and I think you've got a machine that can compete with whatever is released in the next cycle five years from now.
    I wouldn't call 1080p photorealistic. That'll probably happen with 2160Q. But then we'll need to update our tv's by then once again Yes I'm joking. But we all know resolution updates are coming where 1080p becomes the new composite cable. *sigh to resolution advances*

But, by then the PS3 will be pretty cheap to manufacture
    Now THAT I'm waiting for. And there's no doubt of course it will happen. Just like I don't doubt it will have some killer games. Time is the thing that will have that ps3 sitting in my crummy hands... alls I'm waiting for is the games

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Between that, and in Anthony1's thread about the Wii's graphics, I think we all know that you and ManciGames do not like the PS3, so why do we need another PS3 bashing thread? Just move on already.
    oookaaay...well, that is a dumb little comment hardly worth a substantial reply. You might think in concepts of accusing and defense, praising and bashing... I certainly do not.

The release of the PS3 is important, and so is how well it sells for many of us gamers and everyone interested in the industry. I won't accuse or defend the PS3 since a Sony reperesentative won't show up holding my hands and console me when I'm sick in bed.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

you forget that this isnt just a gamer's forum. we are mostly collectors, and all of us enthusiasts. we love analyzing and talking about every little thing that goes on in the industry, and thats what the forums are here for. the failure or success, the shame or gloating of a console, new or old, is always a hot topic here on DP.

i for one am all over this, and am having the best time ever watching the industry evolve and the new generation unravel before me. such an exciting time, as the last time a 600$ system hit shelves.... well we all remember what happened. never been done by an industry leader.

please dont dont tell us what is or isnt worth talking about. each topic has its own momentum, if no one cares or feels like you, then no one will reply and itll die, but judging so far, its a top button issue.

*goes to get popcornz*

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    you forget that this isnt just a gamer's forum. we are mostly collectors, and all of us enthusiasts. we love analyzing and talking about every little thing that goes on in the industry, and thats what the forums are here for. the failure or success, the shame or gloating of a console, new or old, is always a hot topic here on DP.

i for one am all over this, and am having the best time ever watching the industry evolve and the new generation unravel before me. such an exciting time, as the last time a 600$ system hit shelves.... well we all remember what happened. never been done by an industry leader.

please dont dont tell us what is or isnt worth talking about. each topic has its own momentum, if no one cares or feels like you, then no one will reply and itll die, but judging so far, its a top button issue.

*goes to get popcornz*

Wow, I actually agree 100 percent with this take. I'm not too sure I've agreed with Poofta too much in the past, but I'm with you on this one brother. I especially agree with this part...

"we love analyzing and talking about every little thing that goes on in the industry, and thats what the forums are here for. the failure or success, the shame or gloating of a console, new or old, is always a hot topic here on DP.

i for one am all over this, and am having the best time ever watching the industry evolve and the new generation unravel before me. such an exciting time"

I agree 100 percent with that. I just wish we could analyze and argue about things in a much more civil manner, without people taking things too personally, or too seriously for that matter. I mean, this isn't life and death guys, it's freaking video games for Christsake!

It would be so nice if we could discuss things about various game systems, from a system agnostic viewpoint. If we could get down and dirty and discuss the real deal with the various systems, without people having to defend every little thing because they happened to sink $700 on a particular horse. Heck, I've spent huge bucks on the PS3, but I'm not going to be defending my purchase with the fear of buyers remorse. I would love to discuss how it's struggling like crazy, because that is the fecking truth, lol. Let's just have fun with it, and discuss things, and get down and dirty and not take things so personal, it makes things so much more fun and entertaining!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Considering the heavy competition from 360 and Wii, the rather high price (well, not high compared to what you really get, but for the average joe who doesnt know better, its high), the crappy games in general and no european release its not too bad that they have sold like 1 million consoles.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    If he told you Blu-ray was outselling HD-DVD's he's lying. I believe the ratio is now 6 to 1 (HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray).
    I was just checking Blu-ray.com for something else and i stumbled across this article:

Blu-ray software sales have now surpassed HD-DVD for the first time the week of December 24 and they did so by an impressive 20 percent. The sales gap is expected to widen further in 2007 based on research conducted by Twentieth Century Fox and Blu-ray is expected to outsell HD-DVD by a 3.5-to-1 ratio by the end of the first quarter. One of the driving factors behind the growth in sales is the PlayStation 3 (PS3), which was launched on November 17, 2006 in North America.

Overall the Blu-ray backers are confident that it's only a matter of time before the Blu-ray format becomes the dominant format in the US market, just as it already accounts for 96% of the market in Japan.
    They might count the PS3 games in this calculation tho, dont know, but still.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I think the PS3 is really going to take off once the prices on 1080p TVs go down. You know the TVs are going to drop faster than we know it. Go into any Sears, Best Buy, Circuit City...all they really have is 720P-1080p TVs on display. That means since it dominates the shelves, thats what people are mainly going to buy. Once enough people buy them, we'll se 36" 1080p's for around $1000. I'm saving up some money right now for the TV (but I already have all 3 next gen systems) so the TV is all i need now. So just watch the TV sales rise and I think you'll see PS3 come along much nicer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    oookaaay...well, that is a dumb little comment hardly worth a substantial reply. You might think in concepts of accusing and defense, praising and bashing... I certainly do not.
    You should have bought diapers instead. Cheaper and more useful.
    < Points to pot calling the kettle black.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post

*goes to get popcornz*
    I agree with your comment wholeheartedly, and had you read the other two threads that I pointed out, you would have discovered that I even participated in such discussions. Perhaps I wasn't clear and concise enough, rather than expect you had read those other threads. I am not telling you what you can and cannot post. (Why is this always the same defense used when someone brings up a point that the other side doesn't like, instead of addressing the issues raised?) What I am saying is that the same arguments are being made in multiple threads by the same people over and over again, and it gets a little redundant in having to respond to the same argument over and over. Besides, I don't think comments like these are helpful:

You should have bought diapers instead. Cheaper and more useful.
    So I really didn't see the point of this thread when there were two already existing threads discussing the feasibility of the PS3.

The title of the thread is "Need a PS3? Best Buy has plenty. "

The only information provided with respect to either Best Buy or PS3 was as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by ManciGames View Post
    So, I was in Best Buy today, and for the third visit in a row there were about 20 60GB PS3s clogging up one of the main aisles. There were a couple of BB Blue Shirts using them as a worktable to sort a case of DVDs that they were stocking in a nearby aisle. Perhaps they figured their table would not be disturbed because nobody was going to pick a PS3 off the pile?

Anyway, if you still want one, head on down to your nearest BB as they seem pretty plentiful. Still not a Wii in sight though, so if you're in the market for one of those, you're still SOL.
    It's not like the OP was giving us any relevant information, such as which Best Buys had them in stock. No information was originally provided as hard sales numbers. No relevant information on the PS3 was provided at all. Hardly meriting a new thread, or a thoughtful discussion as you point out in your reply.

Instead, it seemed like just another reason to bash the PS3 and/or Sony. Like you, I was simply voicing my opinion, which why we are all here, correct?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with your comment wholeheartedly, and had you read the other two threads that I pointed out, you would have discovered that I even participated in such discussions. Perhaps I wasn't clear and concise enough, rather than expect you had read those other threads. I am not telling you what you can and cannot post. (Why is this always the same defense used when someone brings up a point that the other side doesn't like, instead of addressing the issues raised?) What I am saying is that the same arguments are being made in multiple threads by the same people over and over again, and it gets a little redundant in having to respond to the same argument over and over. Besides, I don't think comments like these are helpful:

So I really didn't see the point of this thread when there were two already existing threads discussing the feasibility of the PS3.

The title of the thread is "Need a PS3? Best Buy has plenty. "

The only information provided with respect to either Best Buy or PS3 was as follows:

It's not like the OP was giving us any relevant information, such as which Best Buys had them in stock. No information was originally provided as hard sales numbers. No relevant information on the PS3 was provided at all. Hardly meriting a new thread, or a thoughtful discussion as you point out in your reply.

Instead, it seemed like just another reason to bash the PS3 and/or Sony. Like you, I was simply voicing my opinion, which why we are all here, correct?
    esquire, your posts are a mixture of being childish and dumb, don't go this route. Don't behave like a fanboy and perceive justified, civilized, and analytical criticism about a game system as an ATTACK and try to suppress a discussion with 'Stop bashing Sony.' You can disagree with mancigames and me and others, but please, post some reasoning about the PS3 launch and its success; 'stop bashing Sony' is fanboyism at its best in particular if noone bashed anyone and there is no reason to do so!

PS: yes, I will buy a PS3 at some point, and yes, I probably have more PS2 games than you; and Sony did a great job as a hardware manufacturer AND publisher of games; and I love Nintendo and think the Wii is the retereat of Nintendo in the console market; and I have a Dreamcast and found opinions of Sega fanboys in the 90s as annoying as I find your posts now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fair enough:

1) It was the the Best Buy on "The Strip" in North Canton. For the one or two of you reading this within driving distance, that's the one you want.

2) A blue shirt told me they are getting in about 25 a week now and usually have about five left over at the end of said weeks.
    www.mancigames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

esquire, your posts are a mixture of being childish and dumb, don't go this route. Don't behave like a fanboy and perceive justified, civilized, and analytical criticism about a game system as an ATTACK and try to suppress a discussion with 'Stop bashing Sony.' You can disagree with mancigames and me and others, but please, post some reasoning about the PS3 launch and its success; 'stop bashing Sony' is fanboyism at its best in particular if noone bashed anyone and there is no reason to do so!

PS: yes, I will buy a PS3 at some point, and yes, I probably have more PS2 games than you; and Sony did a great job as a hardware manufacturer AND publisher of games; and I love Nintendo and think the Wii is the retereat of Nintendo in the console market; and I have a Dreamcast and found opinions of Sega fanboys in the 90s as annoying as I find your posts now.
    Lendelin, I think you pretty much summed this up. I've got a bunch of PS2 games, and am still buying more each month. And I too will buy a PS3 when the games are right. I'd shell out $600 right now if FFXIII was available. But it's not. It's a barren wasteland on the PS3 right now, and I just don't understand the need to HAVE to launch this thing when they did, at the cost they did.

I have no wish to see the PS3 fail. Sony has done a lot of good for the industry. As someone else pointed out, it is just interesting to see how consumers react to each successive hardware release. Sega couldn't even *give away* Dreamcasts back in 2000 (literally) because people were waiting for PS2.

Here we are six years later, and Sony is having a rough go of it with the PS3.

The intent of the original post was twofold:

1) To let you know that if you really want one, they seem to be readily available. I'm sure some people gave up around the Christmas rush and may not realize they are out there now.

2) To comment on the juxtaposition the PS3 sales seem to be having with the Wii. Many people (including some on this board) thought Nintendo had lost their marbles with the Wii, but for now at least, their strategy seems to be paying off in spades. As a lover of all manufacturers of video games, I find it fascinating to see two distinct theories going to head to head.

If certain people want to label this as a fanboy post, I suggest they look in the mirror and ignore this thread. The rest of us will continue to have reasonable and mature conversations.
    www.mancigames.com

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"I think the PS3 is a fantastic piece of tech and will be around even ten years from now."

...at your neighborhood Big Lots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

I like the PS3. It is a fine machine and has a whole world of potential. I think Blast Factor is a great game and I think Gran Turismo HD looks wonderful and plays great as all Gran Turismo games do. I still look forward to VF5 and MGS4. Its to great shock to me as how easy it is to currently walk into any retailer and walk out with a PS3 no hassle when it was a different story November 17th.

I like the Nintendo Wii. It is a fine machine and I think the control scheme is fantastic. Wii sports has put a smile on everyone who comes over and plays it - many of these folks are not even into games casually and I think Wii Play will also entertain these folks. I find maximum enjoyment with Zelda TP and Excitetruck as well as Elebits and even Metal Slug. It is truly amazing how on November 19th many people didn't really know what the W-i-i or W II was and now many of my friends and co workers want this console and cannot find one anywhere and when a retailer gets some in they are promptly gone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

HD TV's,Blu-Ray and HD-DVD Players,HDMI Cables,its kinda confusing for someone who has a regular tv and a cheap apex dvd player sitting in their living room.

I think the majority of ''casual gamers'' are scared off by the pricetag of the PS3 and I use the word casual heavily because of the nature of this forum because we are all die hard gamers and collection.Most of us love games so much we will buy any new console that comes out,but besides us we have to look at the tons of other demographics out their who buy games and tech stuff.Most people are stupid when it comes to buying tech stuff,we all know that,even the people at places like Best Buy really dont know shit about the products when it comes down to it.People look at a Wii which is cheaper and has the name Nintendo and they think back to like 1988 and remember in the years since then how Nintendo has made quality products since then exept the Virtual Boy not withstanding.Sony hit the market with the PS2 when DVD technology looked to be the clear cut succesor to VHS,it was getting cheaper and the appeal of it hit everyone in just the right way.

Joe Q Consumer really isnt ready for the big investments the tech companys are wanting us to make.Most people just dont have the money to shell out huge prices for the most up to date tech stuff right now.Heck this whole everything in high defination is better gimmick can cost you up to 3000 dollars.Who honestly wants to spend that much to see the pimple better on someone's face or see an extremely clear African sky,I got enough going on in my life to worry about without being OCD and focusing on every imperfect detail in a movie or tv show.Some movies could benefit from an HD upgrade,but look at all the ones that won't.Honestly the point of TV is to entertain,not make it into some IMAX experience,but what the hell do I know right?

Since I am getting off topic I will get back on PS3 and I will sum it up in a nutshell

1.The price is too much right now,people would just rather wait till it drops 300 bucks,Blu-Ray or not,its not something the majority of the public has to have as of right now.

2.The hype by G4 and all the publications out their made us out to believe we were getting a can't miss system,hence why I dont watch G4 anymore because of shotty journalism and research on their part.I would never stand in line for a system ever,but thats just me.

3.I had a PS3 and I decided I should have stuck with the 360 until some the PS3 had a better library.In regards to the Wii,I dont hate the Wii,just the marketing campaign actually turned me off to the idea of getting one and I have loved Nintendo since a kid.

anyway thats my two cents,carry on
    Last edited by ReaXan; 01-16-2007 at 02:51 PM.