Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EDGE Presents FILE mag

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default EDGE Presents FILE mag

I was at Barns & Nobles today looking at some magazines and stumbled across this one in particular from Europe. I don't really follow magazines but have thought about it recently to begin following a few. Apparently after doing a little research EDGE magazine is re-releasing their old issues in a "Collector's Edition". I picked up Vol. 1 and a Vol. 2 was released the other week, but I didn't see it anywhere.

So anyhow, what is the overall consensus of this magazine? Do people on here like it, hate it or just shrug at it? I read a few random articles and it appeared to be decent enough for a pick-up and may grab Vol. 2 when I see it. However, I saw a few people placing feedback on another site saying their newer issues suck but the older ones (like in this collection) are a great read. Lastly I saw on their US/CAN website they only have 1 mailing address which happens to be in Virginia Beach, the city right next to mine. Is it possible there's a limited distribution because others around the country haven't been seeing this and there were only a maximum of 3 stocked at the bookstores around here.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Edge is the best english gaming magazine in the world. They care about the journalism side of things, along with gorgeous layouts and stock. I paid a ridiculous amount for a subscription. It's the only replacement for Next Generation you'll find.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, it is a bit pricey @ $12.99 per magazine, for the collective ones that is. The yearly subscription was pretty high according to the website. If I like these volumes a lot I may just go ahead and sign up for the mag.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post
    Edge is the best english gaming magazine in the world. They care about the journalism side of things, along with gorgeous layouts and stock. I paid a ridiculous amount for a subscription. It's the only replacement for Next Generation you'll find.
    GamesTM is pretty good too. But yeah, Next-Generation was basically just a USA version of EDGE. The cool thing about that, is that if you are a big time fan of the old Next-Gen, and you wished that they had started earlier than 1995, then you can basically read the issues of EDGE that came along before Next-Gen debuted, cause it's basically the same thing. I've always been interested in collecting EDGE, but the mag is just too damn pricey for my blood. I'm interested in the early issues, and it's very difficult to find them from somebody in the US, and the UK shipping makes them too expensive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Edge, I got approx 135 issues from issue 1 onwards.
    see here: http://videogamecollectors.com/gallery/album116

Quite good, sometimes full of mistakes (I wouldn't call it 'the best english gaming magazine in the world', not with those mistakes), the Edge presents Retro 2002 issue was just full of mistakes

We here in Germany now have a German Edge, urgh it's just awful
    Last edited by tom; 01-15-2007 at 11:34 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i picked up vol1 about a month or so ago... maybe less. i liked it a lot. never read edge before but i skimmed it in barnes and nobles and liked it so bought it.

def will get vol2 when i see it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Big fan of Edge -- always pick it up here. I'd say that and Retro Gamer are the gaming mags I read the most (with GamesTM coming in 3rd). All British mags, hmmm.... I guess the only American game mag I sometimes read is Game Informer, and I will often read a bit of Arcadia or Famitsu.

I thought that Edge File vol. 1 was an interesting snapshot of the past. I would have changed the focus a bit and put a bit more of the game reviews in there in lieu of sooo many features on 3DO, but still well worth a read.

Haven't seen vol 2 in Borders or Kinokuniya yet, might have to go check after work!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So what exactly is this Volume 1 that people are talking about? Is it simple the first issue of EDGE reprinted? Is it the first couple issues of EDGE? Is it certain features from early issues of EDGE, if somebody could please explain, I would be very interested to hear about it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Fantastic_Duck's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought it. Its pretty interesting, but it reminds me of how obsessed we were with 2 fucking things in the mid 90s:

CD and 3D. That's all the articles focus on, really. Some retro game reviews, interviews with shitheads like Trip hawkins and Sam Tramiel, thats about it.
    Oh, they do have a superb repring of a history of the TG16/PC Engine. Really concise and well developed article on my fave game system.
    *giggle*

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    So what exactly is this Volume 1 that people are talking about? Is it simple the first issue of EDGE reprinted? Is it the first couple issues of EDGE? Is it certain features from early issues of EDGE, if somebody could please explain, I would be very interested to hear about it.
    its a very well made compilation of the most interesting/influential/important events/stories/features/etc during the first year of Edge magazine, which was 1993 to 1994.

i think you will love this =]

it covers 3d0, jaguar, mega drive, n64, pc, pc engine, playstation, saturn, snes.

its 13$, looks nice, heavy, about 260 pages.

some stories:

story on nintendo's St Giga network & Sega channel + comparison

jaguar launch preview

nintendo's super-machine for 1995 (assuming n64, interesting piece on their partnership with Silicon Graphics Inc, makers of special effects for T2 and Jurrassic park)

original Alone in the Dark pc preview (hehe)

several pages on a Supergun expose (arcade at home thingie)

EARLY EARLY look at what will become the PS1 and Saturn. interesting concept sketches etc.

huge playstation launch info and prominent developer's takes on the system

awesome huge feature on PCengine and its MANY iterations and reincarnations.

reviews of all time fav games such as SF2 turbo, MK, night trap (hahah) and many more

scattered info and features on 3d0 and cdi. Virtual reality and some other obscure stuff (like a portable mega drive that hooks up to the tv, supposedly used on jets?)

i recommend it for you man, great buy.

EDIT: advertising must have been expensive, cause theres only like 10 or less pages of ads in teh whole thing. and its kinda weird that theyre for current gen stuff. very classys stuff though. a few of them are actually for magazines by the same publisher.
    Last edited by Poofta!; 01-16-2007 at 01:53 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ordered vol. 2 directly from the distributer
    Last edited by 16-bit; 01-16-2007 at 11:18 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by Fantastic_Duck View Post
    I bought it. Its pretty interesting, but it reminds me of how obsessed we were with 2 fucking things in the mid 90s:

CD and 3D. That's all the articles focus on, really. Some retro game reviews, interviews with shitheads like Trip hawkins and Sam Tramiel, thats about it.
    That's why I didn't like this compilation. I was pretty stoked when I saw it, but once I started reading it I couldn't for the life of me understand why they selected those particular articles for a "best-of". I'd much rather read their reviews, etc. than some laughable attempt to hype-up the FMV-capabilities of the 3DO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never was a fan of Next Generation or Edge. I do pick up an issue every once in a while to see what they're doing.

There's a sort of trade only Euro mag out there. I can't think of the name at the moment but it's thin, expensive, and about as up to date as a print mag can be. While it didn't make me fork over my hard earned cash, I thought it was solid. I think the folks behind Eurogamer put it out. It seems modeled after TV and film rags like TV Tech and the Hollywood Reporter.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just picked up volume 2 (1994-1995) today at Barnes & Nobles so I guess we'll be expecting them to be sold there for a good while longer. I still haven't read all the way through vol. 1, there's just so much information and screenshots to closely look at. Sure, some of the articles aren't the best written or are scewed a bit but overall a nice read for someone who's never owned older game magazines. I may end up picking up a niche for other mags later on down the road, who knows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

I bought vol 1 as well and it's neat. I like reading old videogame mags so this is a pretty good thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up #1 recently for a lot more than $13 (I don't want to say how much I paid for it other than I must have been insane at the time). Anyways, I enjoyed the articles, but I think some of the print/image quality was pretty poor, like something was a little off in the reproduction.

With the Jaguar/3DO focus, well, that's what was big then, and I think part of the idea here is to have a "time capsule" of what was going on at the industry at that time... the writers make several comments in their editorials about mistakes they made in coverage, so they know in hindsight all that space they devoted to those systems was pretty much wasted.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by delafro View Post
    I picked up #1 recently for a lot more than $13 (I don't want to say how much I paid for it other than I must have been insane at the time). Anyways, I enjoyed the articles, but I think some of the print/image quality was pretty poor, like something was a little off in the reproduction.
    It's because the system used to produce the first issues way back when is no longer in use and they couldn't find anyway of importing them into the new system used. So they been SCANNED and reproduced in the FILE magazines here. Which is why a lot of the screenshots look "off".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Talking

Yeah, the quality in these compilations could be a little better, considering the price. The original magazines were stunning, with huge screenshots, nice layout, thick paper, and plastic-covered covers. I'd spring for a DVD compilation of the whole EDGE run in a second if it were offered, but the FILE collection will have to do.

I ordered vols 1 and 2 direct from their web page at ~$25 each, which was insane but I simply had to have them. It was a bit of a let-down to see them at Borders a few weeks later for $13 each. Vol 3 is out now, but sold out on their web page, so now I get to do the smart thing and buy it locally.

It's fun to see the glory days of the old systems -- I get all excited about PSX and Saturn all over again when I flip through these books.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

3rd one is out? I thought the compilations were released bi-monthly like the current issues. Guess it's time to run over to Barnes & Nobles to see what's up. Thanks for scouting it out!

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by Flojomojo View Post
    I'd spring for a DVD compilation of the whole EDGE run in a second if it were offered, but the FILE collection will have to do.
    Trust me, I know someone here (his name usually associated with magazine scans) who would do it in a heartbeat if there was no chance of getting his arse sued to hell by Future as a result...