Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EDGE Presents FILE mag

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Trust me, I know someone here (his name usually associated with magazine scans) who would do it in a heartbeat if there was no chance of getting his arse sued to hell by Future as a result...
    What about the video game black market? I need access to that exclusive club. I need more Pac-Man!! Hook me up!
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post
    Edge is the best english gaming magazine in the world. They care about the journalism side of things, along with gorgeous layouts and stock. I paid a ridiculous amount for a subscription. It's the only replacement for Next Generation you'll find.
    WOW.

I have seen Edge a few times of store shelves here in the US but never really paid it much attention. I *really* miss Next Generation and if you guys say it's almost exactly the same I'll definitely have to check it out.

BTW, I love reading old mags from the 90s even if the focus was on CD and 3D...back then, to me, those things were "the future"...now people take both for granted and I have a hard time finding new things to get excited about. So being able to curl up w/ an interview with Atari's Tramiel or reading the "latest" scoop on AM-2's Virtua Fighter 2 sounds like an awesome read to me!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Windy Miller's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've ended up buying these 'compilations' even though I have a complete set of Edge (& Gamestm & Retro Gamer) on a bookshelf beside my bed.

I'm sure that I've read somewhere that issue 3 of FILE is to be the last one & the next Edge 'special' is going to be something different.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can still order vol 1 thru 3 in the US direct from the distributer:

Their phone number is 1-800-428-3003

Vol. 3 cost me 18.95 and vol 1 and 2 cost me 20 each (I ordered them over a month ago)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I bought a copy of Edge Presents File, even though I own all the issues of Next Generation and have read most of those articles. What got me, though, was their review of Alien Vs. Predator for the Jaguar. I can't believe how many times they mentioned Doom in the article. They should have just written "Why isn't this Doom? I want more Doom!" over and over. And it's like they weren't even playing the same game, from the way they were describing it. Bad journalism all around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I've been catching a lot of mistakes in their proof reading department along with bias and scewed views on some games. There's a lots of comparisons with other systems similar games instead of looking at how well the game they're discussing performs on it's platform. I mainly read the magazine not for the errors but for the perspective of gamers views from a time where I didn't pay attention to the market. I can buy an SNES game and play it, then give my own opinion but to read what others were thinking at the time is what's interesting to me. Why I chose this magazine? Because it's available at the store locally and don't have to deal with online trades or purchases. If another collection of classic magazines are released locally I'll more than likely jump on that too, especially these that comprise of 6-12 issues in one mag.

Oh, and on a second note, I went to Barnes & Nobles yesterday and they said Vol. 3 won't be in stock intil April, which should be around the 10th.
    Last edited by cyberfluxor; 03-13-2007 at 09:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor View Post
    There's a lots of comparisons with other systems similar games instead of looking at how well the game they're discussing performs on it's platform.
    Out of curiosity - is that not what you'd want in a multi-platform magazine?

Edit: Managed to forget to post about the actual topic. This actually sounds really good, although I wasn't even aware of it 'till now. I wish Games Master would do something like this - it just wasn't the same without Patrick Moore all over it.
    Last edited by Daltone; 03-13-2007 at 11:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    Out of curiosity - is that not what you'd want in a multi-platform magazine?
    Well, they want to say how worst or better this particular game is over another on a different system that has a different development team altogether. It does make a significant fact to toss it out there in one sentence, but in a few reviews they seem to smear it to the extent where I want to grab the author and tell them to get back to the game being reviewed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I'm late

Ok, I found out about these Edge Presents File magazines way late. None of my local bookstores carry it anyway, so I still would have been out of luck.

However, I called (just today) the 800 number that 16-bit posted, and they still have all 3 issues! They are $19.50 each, and that includes the shipping.

Thanks 16-bit !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just picked up Volume 3 and it appears to have far more interviews than the other two. After flipping through it before I purchased it I realised a few good articles worth mentioning:
    Artificial Intelligence (Dec 95)
    Videogame Violence (Jan 96)
    Digital Dexterity (Aug 96) - Discusses game controllers

Are they not doing a volume 4?
    Last edited by cyberfluxor; 04-01-2007 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

I found Volume 3 at a B&N yesterday (april 1st) so that are out now. And that's no joke.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got FILE #2 when I went to B&N last month to get RetroGamer w/ the Xevious feature, kindof an added bonus. I had a gift card so I paid <$10 on both. I liked Vol 2 so much I got Vol 3 (yellow cover) today. IMO not as interesting as #2, but at least I'll pass the time at work reading it.

I may get/look for #1 for a complete set.
    Last edited by RJ; 04-09-2007 at 05:36 PM.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Insert Coin (Level 0) Windy Miller's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The new EDGE PRESENTS is out today in the UK, priced £8. It's called The Art of Videogames, 258 pages of sketches, promo art etc with a few words from the developers & publishers. I've posted pictures in this thread.
    Last edited by Windy Miller; 04-26-2007 at 07:48 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

OK so I'm resurrecting a 6 year old thread to ask this question:

Anyone have Volume 2 for sale or trade? I picked up 1 & 3 (and talked about 1 in this thread 6 years ago...) but somehow never saw and missed volume 2. Anyone want to part with theirs?

Thanks,

and MODS, I am sorry