Thread: WTB/TF: somewhat older graphics card..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default WTB/TF: somewhat older graphics card..

I can't believe some of the prices NEW old graphics cars are still going for on evilBay and it appears that it's still going to be some time before I get my new PC up and going. Having said that.. I'm getting REAL sick of sitting around staring at games I purchased OVER 3 years ago.. and not being able to play them yet.. or ever (Homeworld 2 & X2.. come immediately to mind). My current PC is still a 800Mhz-133 PIII with 256 megs of PC-133 RAM. Theoretically.. it should run 3 and 4 year old games.. but the onboard graphics chip has always been the limiting factor (a TNT2 that one can dedicate up to 24 megs of the RAM to.. one of a kind mobo.. only one that ever had an onboard Nvidia chip). The main thing holding me back is the RAM and the fact that the TNT2 did not support T&L.

Sooo.. I'm in the market for a card to tide me over. I'm sure you graphics whores have some old card sitting around collecting dust. I'd like to find a GeForce of some kind (please no Radeons.. I've been turned off to ATI ever since my 32meg AIW Radeon) either an original, or a GF2; but preferabely a GF 3X, 4X or even 5X series. MUST BE PCI THOUGH! I could use a 64 meg card.. but would prefer a 128.. anything else would be overkill.. IMO.

I can pay through PayPal with instant funds transfer. Cards like this are seemingly going for anywheres from $40 to $60 brand new on eB, and a used one wouldn't scare me off if it's a bit cheaper. I GUESS I could also trade some games for it.. please see my "collection" link below. 20% of the games have been sold off in the past few months.. and I don't have the heart to update the list. Something out of the 16-bit categories I'd probably trade as they are the ones going up next on eBay.. but no.. I'm not giving up Chronotrigger, SoM, any of the FFs, or PS2, 3 & 4.. or any of the "mech" type titles.. so take a look.

BTW.. my DP feedback link hasn't worked since the board makeover and if I try to change it it warns me that I've exceeded the "new" line limit.. so I've left it as is.. but I'm listed in the FB forum.

On another note I just thought of mentioning.. currently the only thing holding me back from finishing my new PC is.. oddly enough.. a graphics card.. so I wouldn't mind trading some "primo" stuff for that either. Most of my consoles are gone except except for a CD-i lot I'll be putting up on eB soon. I also have several collectible "novelty" controllers, brand new in packaging including a GCN RE4 Chainsaw, a PS2 blue slime controller, and both of the collectible Mini-cons for the PS2 and GCN (the Shadow the Hedgehog and Mega Man X LE models). I also have a used, but mint N64 Nintendo Power DK64 "banana" controller and a used PS2 Fountech Wireless AirStyle.

The newer card must be PCI-e, an Nvidia.. once again, 256 or 512 Mb, and support SLI hook-up for the future. I'd also REALLY prefer it to be a "silent" heat-pipe type since I'm going as quiet as possible with my next PC (got's me an Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe mobo with heat pipes on the north & south bridges ).

Another game I've looked forward to playing is the (new?) Warhammer 40K RTS series. 2 frickin' expansions later and I'm still playing catch-up. There's a chance that even the original game would play on my old PC with a powerful enough card.

Thanks to all for your time & attention.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Uhm.. anyone? Surely there's something in my collection someone wants for an old dilapidated GeForce.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Munchies879

Does your motherboard not have an AGP slot? I have an old Geforce 4 MX440 sitting around. Don't want much for it, but it's AGP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unfortunately.. it does not. It's a very unique board.. oddly enough.. the onboard TNT2 chip is on an AGP bus, but as far as expansion slots go.. they're all PCI. So if you want to upgrade past the onboard TNT2.. you have to go back to a PCI card (backasswards.. I know). I wish it had an AGP slot because it would be A LOT easier to find a nice card (like yours).

I guess I'll be skipping the entire AGP "era" altogether.. because my new mobo for my next PC needs PCI-express. Thanks for your reply though.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a Leadtek WinFast A6600GT Pci 128mb Geforce card.

It's basically brand new. $45 shipped if you want it.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you checked TigerDirect.com? They have 30 different graphics cards listed for under $25.
    Completed 60+ trades here on digital press.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitnes View Post
    Have you checked TigerDirect.com? They have 30 different graphics cards listed for under $25.
    No.. I haven't.. thanks! I'll look them up. The only place I checked besides evilBay was Geeks.. but their stock varies so much. My brother buys all of his stuff from Tiger and Geeks and he swears by them.. so I'll take a look.