Thread: DS Flash Carts---A new thread

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

diz is just another file similar to an nfo, not needed.

Got my R4 today too, and it is great for games. it's unfortunetly not as great at homebrew, but i assume it's popularity will make for "ports" to the R4 soon enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks, Cyro. One more question about the R4...where are the save files kept? Is it in the same folder where the .nds rom is or is it kept on the R4? I'm just worried about loosing my saves when I shuffle my roms between my Mac and DS.

Chasing the chuckwagon. schnuth's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My R4 came in the mail from Deal Extreme today, but the MicroSD card I ordered has yet to arrive. I can't wait to play with this thing.

In the meantime I found this compatibility list. It shows which games, homebrews, and SD cards work with the R4:

http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/R4_compatibility_list
    Last edited by schnuth; 03-21-2007 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my R4 today, and have a question...

I got it mainly to play the DS games that I already own - just from one cart instead of carrying around all the carts. I was mistaken in thinking that this 'do it all' DS flash solution would allow me to do that.

How can I get the .NDSes from my commercial carts, and more importantly the game saves over to the R4?

I'm assuming I need something in the slot 2 and I don't care if it sticks out 2 feet or is a bare PCB because I'm only going to use it to get the ROMs from my carts. I'd like to spend as little as possible on this part...

BTW, I have one of these:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=21032
    if that will help with the process.

I'm also not looking to play any GBA games on my DS as I still use the GBA SP for that...

Thanks in advance.
    Need. More. Games.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

@ norkusa: The .sav files are in the same folder as the roms. I would just turn on viewing extensions if you're in Xp, and then sort by type and leave the .savs on the card, or back them up on your PC when not using them (this is also nice for sharing games with only one save slot with your wife/girlfriend, etc).

Oh, and it's based on filename, so if you use the rom trimmer make sure your trimmed rom and your .sav has the same filename other than the extension.

@ schnuth :THANK YOU for that homebrew compat list, that explains why I couldn't get comicbookDS working.

@ Schenley: I'm not entirely sure how you'd go about that...isn't there some sort of datel device for backing up your saves? It SHOULD be possible but I've got no idea myself.
    Last edited by Cryomancer; 03-22-2007 at 08:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    Schenley: I'm not entirely sure how you'd go about that...isn't there some sort of datel device for backing up your saves? It SHOULD be possible but I've got no idea myself.
    It's definitely possible to backup saves from DS carts. I think someone at the monroeworld.com forums already helped him though...

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    It's definitely possible to backup saves from DS carts.
    Yes, it's possible, but it requires a slot-2 flash cart. I don't know any other way. So maybe Schenley should have just bought a slot-2 device instead of the R4.

As for dumping commercial DS cards, I don't think there's any simple way of doing it. You'd basically have to have knowledge of EE and build your own dumper. You're much better off just downloading the ROMs. If it's the legality of doing that that you're worried about, backing up copy protected games that you own isn't any more legal under the DMCA than downloading the ROMs. In fact, it isn't any more legal than downloading ROMs of games you *DON'T* own.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe View Post
    Yes, it's possible, but it requires a slot-2 flash cart. I don't know any other way. So maybe Schenley should have just bought a slot-2 device instead of the R4.
    No, I don't regret getting the R4 - especially at the price that it is. I really like how the R4 works. It's just the process of getting all my saves off the carts - once that's done, I'll probably never use the slot 2 device again! Maybe someone can loan me one for a couple of weeks?? ;-)
    Need. More. Games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

With these rousing endorsements perhaps I should pick one up too while the price is reasonable. DealXtreme ships to Canada, right?

Also, what exactly is the difference between http://www.dealextreme.com/details.d...202~r.16466409 and http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1459 ?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    With these rousing endorsements perhaps I should pick one up too while the price is reasonable. DealXtreme ships to Canada, right?

Also, what exactly is the difference between http://www.dealextreme.com/details.d...202~r.16466409 and http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1459 ?
    The first one needs flash memory (micro SD or transflash), and the second one comes with a 1GB card.
    Need. More. Games.

Chasing the chuckwagon. schnuth's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finally got my MircoSD card over the weekend and have been playing around with my R4 for the past couple days. It's a very neat little device, and I've been having fun trying out lots of homebrew stuff. For the price I paid from DealExreme this is definetely worth the purchase.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now that I've got my Slot-1 needs taken care of with the R4, I'm thinking about getting a Slot-2 card for GBA stuff. Is the G6 Lite the best one around? Also, are there any Slot-2 carts around that are drag-and-drop like the R4 and *don't* require you to flash your DS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wouldn't the R4 let you boot from a Slot-2 device?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Wouldn't the R4 let you boot from a Slot-2 device?
    Yeah, so all I need is Slot-2 device. Isn't that what the G6 Lite is?

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The G6 Lite is a nice cart. I have one and like it a lot. However, it does have fixed memory (512MByte), though that's not much of a problem if you'll only be using it for GBA stuff, you'll be able to fit dozens and dozens of even the largest GBA ROMs into 512MB. Of course, you might still want to consider a cart that takes microSD just because then you'd be able to share cards between your R4 and your slot-2 flash cart. Perhaps the bigger problem with the G6 based on what you want it for is that I don't think the G6's GBA menu is all that hot. The G6 has a great DS menu, but its GBA menu is sort of slow and clunky, it's nice that you can have a screenshot of each ROM, but that slows things down a lot; there's a menu mode that just uses plain text instead of the screenshots but even in that mode you're forced to navigate around using a mouse pointer controlled by the dpad rather than just directly highlighting the ROMs. I don't like it much.

The G6 does however, work just fine using drag & drop to load GBA stuff. It's only for loading DS ROMs that you have to use their Windows app.

I guess the other card I would recommend looking at is the M3 Lite, which takes microSD, has a simpler and easier to use menu and also supports drag & drop for most GBA ROMs just like the G6.

If DS support means nothing to you since you have an R4 and you don't mind the cart sticking out of your DS Lite, you might also check out the EFA-Linker.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by schnuth View Post
    Same here, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Should be fun to play around with.
    My R4 showed up today at lunchtime. Will be playing with it tonight.

Yay!

Also got a bunch of cheap laser pointers for the cat since they were 4/$3 with free shipping

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I still really like this idea of using a DS as a wireless FTP server. But there's no homebrew app that makes that possible, is there?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

If all I want to do is NES emulation, should I get an R4, an M3, or something else?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    If all I want to do is NES emulation, should I get an R4, an M3, or something else?

I was playing NES titles on a CF Supercard way back. For the emulators, you can use just about any of the flash carts, as long as they have internal memory. In other words, stay away from the Supercard "rumble" or M3 "Pro". These carts have no internal memory, and cannot run GBA titles. To use the likes of PocketNES (or other GBA emulators) you will need that memory. There is a NES emulator for DS, but it does not support many file systems. If you can get your hands on a very cheap Supercard CF unit (I have seen them sell for $10 in the scdev forums) you'll be good to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Blast! DealExtreme sent me the Chinese version of the R4 instead of the English version! Grumble grumble grumble.

And even with the Chinese firmware, Moonshell won't start up; it gives an error message about being unable to write to the media.
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 04-29-2007 at 09:10 PM.