Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: DS Flash Carts---A new thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Schenley View Post
    What about this one?
    That's the one I originally had my eye on. The more I read up on them though, it basically sounds like the same card as the R4 or M3 Simply except it has built-in flash memory, which is limited to 512mb and can't be upgraded. I hear that they DS-Xtreme people don't update the software that often either.

Makes more sense to get the R4 or the M3. They are a lot cheaper and even after buying a good sized mini SD card for it, you're still paying about $50 less than what you'd pay for the DS-Xtreme.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

I think I'm going to go with the G6 Lite (4Gbit). I'll use it in my GB Micro to emulate and maybe throw it into my DS to...you know..."emulate".
    EDIT: I guess I'll need that "Passcard 3" too, right?

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All slot-2 solutions require some sort of passme. I don't recommend getting any flash cart that has a fixed amount of memory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkn55 View Post
    All slot-2 solutions require some sort of passme. I don't recommend getting any flash cart that has a fixed amount of memory.
    Is there a wire or anything that connects the passme to the slot-2 cart? I don't want any wires back there...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, you can use a passcard 3 which is a ds-shaped 'game' or you can flash your firmware and forego the passcard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

I don't recommend getting any flash cart that has a fixed amount of memory.
    I can understand that but I haven't found a very good solution that doesn't have fixed memory. Wouldn't it have to have some fixed memory? I've read that it needs fixed high speed memory for playing the game but you can expand low speed memory to hold the games you aren't currently playing. I've spent quite a bit of time researching cards lately and I haven't found anything that will work on both my GB Micro and my DS. It needs to emulate GB, GBC, NES, SNES, etc. on both my GB Micro and my DS AND I'd like for it to support...you-know-what on my DS. Also, it needs to fit flush with the GB Micro case, I don't want it sticking out.
    So...something that meets the following requirements:
    1. Reliably emulates the oldies on my GB Micro and my DS.
    2. "Emulates" the unmentionables on my DS.
    3. Fits perfectly into the GB Micro and DS cases. (Doesn't protrude, even with the expanded memory)
    4. Has expandable memory (Not required)
    5. I think that's it. Have I forgotten anything?
    So, any suggestions? Well, any suggestions better than the one I'm considering settling on? G6 Lite (4Gbit) The only problem I see with this one is the fixed memory.)
    Last edited by DeputyMoniker; 03-01-2007 at 10:33 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fixed memory does not necessarily translate into fast memory. Both types of memory are based on flash. The only difference is its phyiscal location. If you are worried about speed, get a card that has high advertised read/write speeds. I'm using a fairly slow microsd card and it works just fine.

The emulators for the older systems are only as good as they are written. There is no native support for anything gbc and older. Same goes for console systems. Don't expect anything great out of them.

The M3 Lite Perfect is what you are looking for. The firmware is updated fairly often and the memory is only limited to the capacity you buy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker View Post
    So...something that meets the following requirements:
    1. Reliably emulates the oldies on my GB Micro and my DS.
    2. "Emulates" the unmentionables on my DS.
    3. Fits perfectly into the GB Micro and DS cases. (Doesn't protrude, even with the expanded memory)
    4. Has expandable memory (Not required)
    5. I think that's it. Have I forgotten anything?
    So, any suggestions? Well, any suggestions better than the one I'm considering settling on? G6 Lite (4Gbit) The only problem I see with this one is the fixed memory.)
    The M3 Lite Perfect is what you are looking for. The firmware is updated fairly often and the memory is only limited to the capacity you buy.
    The M3 Lite Perfect...any objections? GBAtemp is down right now or I'd just read their review.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, M3 Perfect is probably what you want.

There's also the Supercard micro-SD version and the EZ-Flash IV, which fit all your requirements. Probbaly some others as well. There's a ton of different flash cards out there. The M3 Perfect is probably the best GBA cart sized card with expandable memory, though.

I actually have a G6 Lite and as I said earlier in this thread, the limited space hasn't really bothered me and I like the G6 because it has the best interface of all the cards I've seen. But if you're at all concerned about the space, go for the M3 Perfect instead.

All the cards with GBA support have RAM that they can transfer ROMs to for faster access, this goes for fixed memory as well as expandable memory cards. The main storage memory in a card like the G6 isn't fast enough for running GBA games, either, so it needs the RAM as well. DS-only cards don't need the RAM since regular DS game cards don't have transfer speeds as high as real cartridges, so the games are programmed with slower transfers in mind. SD cards are a bit slowed than DS cards and this very occasionally leads to problems up in a game with streaming video or music, especially as shadowkn55 said, when your flash card has a slower than average read speed.

For emulators, I would suggest ignoring the "built in" emulators that the flash card makers include. They're nothing but old versions of homebrew emulators. Just about all major systems prior to the 16-bit era are well emulated on the GBA or DS if you seek out the best homebrew emulator to use.

Don't forget homebrew games, by the way, either. The GBA and DS both have incredibly active homebrew development scene and have some really great games available. I probably play homebrew on my DS more than commercial games.

In fact, I'll be releasing my first DS homebrew game sometime within a week or two. You all better download it and play it on your shiny new flash kits.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Okay. So other than the menus, is there any downside to choosing the M3 Perfect over the G6 Lite? The following review says the M3 Perfect uses an oversized cart and it will stick out of my GB Micro:
    http://www.gameboy-advance.net/ninte...-m3adapter.htm
    Is this still an issue? If it is then it's a deal breaker...
    I don't want anything sticking out. Nothing protruding from the DS or the GB Micro. I just want everything to fit and everything to work.
    Last edited by DeputyMoniker; 03-02-2007 at 02:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You want the mini-SD card version. That one is the same size as a regular GBA cart. Any flash kit that takes regular SD or CF cards is going to be oversized to some extent.

The only concern I would have about buying an M3 Perfect is that the M3 Team may not continue supporting it over the next couple years now that the slot-1 (DS slot) devices are what they're pushing and since pirating new DS games as they come out requires continued support in the form of proprietary patches through the manager software, that support is important I can already see the support for the G6 Lite--which is from the same company, by the way--slowing down and the slot-1 G6 successor isn't even out yet. Neither is the M3 Real, so it'll be interesting to see what kind of support they show for the GBA slot devices in the future. No one really knows yet. It's not a big deal to me since playing commercial games isn't my main concern with the flash cards (though it's a hell of a nice feature), but if it is for you, the best option may be to have separate flash kits for DS and GBA.

...word is bondage...
    Last edited by Sweater Fish Deluxe; 03-02-2007 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe View Post
    the best option may be to have separate flash kits for DS and GBA.
    You're probably right. Now I'm starting from scratch...why are there so many damn options?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The M3 Perfect operates in both DS and GBA modes. Don't know why you would want separate cards. In particular, you should get the M3 Perfect Lite. It comes with a standard gba shell and a shell that is the same size as the ds lite dummy blank.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

The M3 Perfect operates in both DS and GBA modes. Don't know why you would want separate cards.
    Because of this...

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe View Post
    The only concern I would have about buying an M3 Perfect is that the M3 Team may not continue supporting it over the next couple years now that the slot-1 (DS slot) devices are what they're pushing and since pirating new DS games as they come out requires continued support in the form of proprietary patches through the manager software, that support is important...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Someone on CAG just posted a link to a site selling the R4 for $30.98 *shipped* :

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.d...2%7Er.16466409

The guy said shipping was a bit slow (took 14 days to arrive) but he got it. Anyone deal with this site before? I really want to order one but I've never heard of DealExtreme.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The same could be said about the G6. You aren't guaranteed support for that either. You are thinking about it too much. Just buy something and be done with it.

The dealextreme place seems kinda fishy. Their price is barely above wholesale after subtracting shipping. It's better to get it from a reputable dealer. Probably save yourself alot of headaches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The dealextreme place seems kinda fishy. Their price is barely above wholesale after subtracting shipping. It's better to get it from a reputable dealer. Probably save yourself alot of headaches.
    I just ordered one of the R4's from them. Came to $30.69 shipped. Chinese version is even cheaper though ($28). Looks like a lot of people from Fatwallet ordered from them and they didn't have any problems, so they seem safe. Shipping is from Hong Kong, so that's why it takes so long to arrive. At least they provide tracking info for you though.

Now I gotta find a cheap miniSD card. Anyone know a good deal on one?
    Last edited by norkusa; 03-03-2007 at 11:38 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    Now I gotta find a cheap miniSD card. Anyone know a good deal on one?
    http://www.meritline.com/kingston-1g...o-sd-card.html

hope for the made in japan one.

this is for a microsd card, which is what you need if you're picking up an r4.
    minisd is for some of the older slot 2 flashcards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Anybody know of one that uses a MS Pro Duo?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've actually ordered from them before back when they were known as The Fifth Unit and they seemed reliable, moreso than a number of the so-called reputable dealers that I've ordered from like Divineo or Success-HK. I got my OneStation system from them and it actually came pretty fast considering the shipping was free. They also have pretty responsive customer service.

...word is bondage...